Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Also... I posed this question in the last Quintana thread and no one chimed in... I'll ask again: how much of a gap in "prospect power" is thee between Eloy and Tatis Jr.?

One big difference is Tatis has a TON more swing and miss in his game (Jimenez K's every 5 PAs, Tatis 3.9). Power numbers seem pretty similar. Tatis has better speed to looking at SB stats.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
We can now put to bed the "soft rebuild; get rid of the clubhouse cancers" conspiracy theories

If Sale and Eaton were as well liked as Buehrle and Konerko were, you have no idea what Reinsdorf would have signed off on last fall.

This issue is closed. Let's be happy today.

I honestly wouldn't have been disappointed with most packages, I'm blown the f*** away by this.

I did not take seriously the cubs doing this. Jimenez, along with Robles and Torres (and probably Meadows), had become one of my favorite prospects to read about for the silly reasons any of these guys do when we were researching any under the sun.

WHen you read these prospect chats, you can tell the guys that do well and are well liked, and the ones that intrigue and fascinate. Kopech intrigues and fascinates. Moncada intrigues and fascinates. Jimenez intrigues and fascinates.

Jimenez has 70 grade power. People were gushing over watching him and vlad jr.

I'm so excited to be able to follow him.

I didn't have the nerve to hold onto Q in the winter. We got a better haul than I thought possible. I really thought if we got JImenez that we'd get worse than Cease. To get both? Totally fine with lesser on the 3/4. If we got worse than cease I'd want some more projectable flyers.

Remember how little power we had in our system through 2016?

Read this and weep

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-23-pros...s-chicago-cubs/

Perhaps the most notable aspect of Jimenez’s raw power is not its quantity but ease. He does all this without much effort, which is not only remarkable but also a significant indicator that he’ll get to his power in games. Scouts are weary of high-effort power hitters. Eloy is not one.

Hitters this size often have gaping holes in their swings but Jimenez, has good feel for the barrel and has shown an ability to move his hands inside and put a good part of the bat on pitches that would otherwise have tied him up. He’s strong enough to do damage like this even though he’s not fully extended. It’s possible that upper-level pitching will deduce an effective way to pitch to Jimenez and force him to make adjustments. He’s an aggressive hitter and will probably need to learn to stay away from the unhittable garbage he’s going to see at Double-A and above as pitchers try to nibble around his power. Some would argue his struggles toward the end of the Arizona Fall League were a result of his inability to do that right now, but to me he simply looked gassed, out of rhythm and was frequently barring his front arm. His stint here didn’t raise any red flags for me, nor did it for scouts who saw him mid-year and in the AFL. I think he hits .280 with 30-plus homers at peak; how much he gets on base, though, will be dictated by the way he adjusts to upper-level pitching.

Defensively, Jimenez has an average arm and is a below-average runner (average underway) who is fringey in right field. He should be average there with reps. He’s a future middle-of-the-order hitter and potential star.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Even if Cease turns out to be a reliever because of the injury risk, I still like the trade. 98-100 with a breaking ball compared to Dwight freaking Gooden?!?! Yea you can put that in the pen.

Get all the power arms we can. I feel fairly confident we can squeeze lots of value out of pitchers like Adams/Stephens/Guerrero/Dunning than other orgs.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Even if Cease turns out to be a reliever because of the injury risk, I still like the trade. 98-100 with a breaking ball compared to Dwight freaking Gooden?!?! Yea you can put that in the pen.

Not all these pitchers can be in the rotation. Kind of like Fulmer, Lopez, Cease as bullpen pieces if the other starters pan out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
I honestly wouldn't have been disappointed with most packages, I'm blown the f*** away by this.

I did not take seriously the cubs doing this. Jimenez, along with Robles and Torres (and probably Meadows), had become one of my favorite prospects to read about for the silly reasons any of these guys do when we were researching any under the sun.

WHen you read these prospect chats, you can tell the guys that do well and are well liked, and the ones that intrigue and fascinate. Kopech intrigues and fascinates. Moncada intrigues and fascinates. Jimenez intrigues and fascinates.

Jimenez has 70 grade power. People were gushing over watching him and vlad jr.

I'm so excited to be able to follow him.

I didn't have the nerve to hold onto Q in the winter. We got a better haul than I thought possible. I really thought if we got JImenez that we'd get worse than Cease. To get both? Totally fine with lesser on the 3/4. If we got worse than cease I'd want some more projectable flyers.

I'll always respect Theo for having the tenacity to trade for needs,even if it meant him getting beat up in the media. The guy is a winner.

Edited by TheTruth05

also just want to mention I think Brewers are better off not making this trade. But it had to be tempting trying to steal a year from the cubs like this. Best of luck to them, that org is awesome to follow right now.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
I'm still not giving up on Schwarber. The Cubs fans are down on him right now, so this is the perfect time to trade for him.

Schwarber, Eloy Jimenez, and Dylan Cease.

So close... I guess that I got greedy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
Get all the power arms we can. I feel fairly confident we can squeeze lots of value out of pitchers like Adams/Stephens/Guerrero/Dunning than other orgs.

Completely agree. Cease probably has the second best stuff in the org now after Kopech. I'm so jelly of FutureSox staff members right now. :lol:

FWIW, Cubs Reddit loves this. They say they got what they need and they're probably right. One guy was elated that they didn't need to use Schwarber, Happ or Baez. I would have been disappointed to see either of the top two switched out for any of those three.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
FWIW, Cubs Reddit loves this. They say they got what they need and they're probably right. One guy was elated that they didn't need to use Schwarber, Happ or Baez. I would have been disappointed to see either of the top two switched out for any of those three.

I wouldn't have hated Happ over Cease, just because we need as many bats as we can get, but I am not at all disappointed.