Sox acquire SS prospect Yeyson Yrizarri

Jose Abreu

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another C.Rondon lottery ticket.

For much of the past 3-4 years, we all thought Leury was a bust, remember? I look at this kid in the same category as Hanson, Liriano and Willy Garcia because of his position and having a plus plus tool in his arm.

Let's not forget Sergio Santos....and not Jason Dellaero or Brian Anderson, haha.

The guys is holding his own in High A (small sample size but same with low A) and he's younger than Micker! He started the year at 19! The K rate is good for his age and he's got some pop.

He really doesn't need to walk at all to be valuable as middle infielder if he plays plus defense and flashes power. Plenty of guys in that mold.

If the power continues to progress or he learns some semblance of plate discipline then you have a very intriguing prospect.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
I look at as not much different than hoping on a prayer of a 16 year old LatAm signing, better this than letting it go to waste.

If this was the best offer for our cap space, I am 100% OK with it. It is a high ceiling guy with some flaws. If you can get through to him to stop swinging at everything, he has the tools to turn into something. If he busts, its not like we could use the cap space anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
If this was the best offer for our cap space, I am 100% OK with it. It is a high ceiling guy with some flaws. If you can get through to him to stop swinging at everything, he has the tools to turn into something. If he busts, its not like we could use the cap space anyway.

We did sign 2 guys too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Yes, but assuming that we did trade the full 3/4 of what we could trade here, we weren't going to sign enough guys for that cap space to matter.

The fulll 3/4 seems an excessive price...that's an immense benefit to Texas and allows them to sign numerous prospects, they otherwise wouldn't be able to sign. And it costs them only 1 prospect?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
The fulll 3/4 seems an excessive price...that's an immense benefit to Texas and allows them to sign numerous prospects, they otherwise wouldn't be able to sign. And it costs them only 1 prospect?

How many of our J2 guys are current Top 17, other than Adolfo?

Who's #2 in our system? What about Top 30-50?

Your obvious retort here is Tatis, Jr.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)

I'm not sure what you're asking. J2?

If you mean international signings, I will ask this - how many of the top prospects we just acquired were international signings?

But that's not my point anyway - my point is that we just gave Texas a goldmine, and received only 1 modest prospect in return. Now we may not have had any use for that goldmine ourselves...but you could say the same about Quintana - we had no use for him the next 2 years, but we still tried to get full value.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)

If you mean international signings, I will ask this - how many of the top prospects we just acquired were international signings?

But that's not my point anyway - my point is that we just gave Texas a goldmine, and received only 1 modest prospect in return. Now we may not have had any use for that goldmine ourselves...but you could say the same about Quintana - we had no use for him the next 2 years, but we still tried to get full value.

We're there any better offers?

Maybe we're sweetening the pot for a future deal with Daniels? It certainly had more value to them than us.

Maybe they'll take Holland back and save the Sox money at some point?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)

A month ago the White Sox trade Alex Katz for slot space. Would you rather have him or this kid?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)

What kind of prospect were you expecting? This guy is better than the typical prospect that gets traded in these types of deals. This was probably full value.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)

I don't disagree with you on J2 and our performance, but complaining about this trade too much is essentially saying I didn't want to sign Robert. We could have treated this cash a la Baltimore and just got jack nothing for it, so to get a projectable SS is defensible. Because of Robert uncertainty in both money and time to negotiate I'm not shocked we couldn't fill out much of a class for 2017. I expect more next year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)

Most of the top 50 are signed. Not like they could use this to sign the top 10 guys.

I have not seen the amount reported anywhere. Anyone know? If we used money we weren't/didn't have anyone to spend on, this is a solid lottery ticket. Young enough to turn into something and way better than what we could get for 300k.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)

Amado Nunez, most likely. Also Robert obviously if we're counting him.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
Amado Nunez, most likely. Also Robert obviously if we're counting him.

The Sox have $4.75 million in International Bonus Money. They spent $600K on 2 players. I highly doubt they have Texas $4 million. Probably like $1.5 million tops. It wasn't disclosed when we reached out.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 12:01 AM)
The Sox have $4.75 million in International Bonus Money. They spent $600K on 2 players. I highly doubt they have Texas $4 million. Probably like $1.5 million tops. It wasn't disclosed when we reached out.

I think Caulfield was asking who our #2 J2 signing was in the org behind Adolfo...just as a general question.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
I think Caulfield was asking who our #2 J2 signing was in the org behind Adolfo...just as a general question.

Yes, the point being a more developed SS, even ranked 17th in the Rangers' system...playing a premium position, there's a lot more potential value than a 16 year old, or even signing five of them.

Not to mention the Rangers have an excellent Latin American pipeline, it's where Preller earned his stripes.

Finally, the fact that Leury (coming from Tex as well) had a somewhat similar background (more speed and positional versatility) and has turned into a positive asset for the org. Also, other than Nunez, Adolfo and now Tatis, most of our J2 guys haven't exactly lit the world on fire quite yet.

This move, though, would seem to indicate one of two things — either the Rangers have more international players they have deals with that they need pool money to sign, or the Rangers are loading up on pool money to maximize what they can offer Japanese pitcher Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani, if you are not familiar, is a 23 year old stud pitcher in Japan who the Rangers have been scouting for some time, and who Jon Daniels and company went and scouted in May (despite Ohtani being sidelined at the time). Ohtani is considered the best pitching prospect from Japan since...well, since Yu Darvish. He’s viewed as a legitimate top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.

The Rangers, by all accounts, want Ohtani badly. And if Ohtani wants to come over to the U.S. this offseason, any team who is willing to pay the $20 million posting fee (the new maximum amount allowed) that goes to Ohtani’s team, the Nippon Ham Fighters, can negotiate with Ohtani. However, Ohtani is subject to the J-2 limits, just as any other international free agent under the age of 25 is.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2017/7/15/1597...onus-pool-money

So...this may be nothing. Or it may be a sign that the Rangers expect Ohtani to announce this offseason he’s coming to the United States, and are loading up on available international bonus pool money they can offer him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
What kind of prospect were you expecting? This guy is better than the typical prospect that gets traded in these types of deals. This was probably full value.

These type of deals do not involve shifting $4 million in signing money. usually 1/2 million or so.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)

$1.5 would make more sense.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 02:24 AM)
Yes, the point being a more developed SS, even ranked 17th in the Rangers' system...playing a premium position, there's a lot more potential value than a 16 year old, or even signing five of them.

Not to mention the Rangers have an excellent Latin American pipeline, it's where Preller earned his stripes.

Finally, the fact that Leury (coming from Tex as well) had a somewhat similar background (more speed and positional versatility) and has turned into a positive asset for the org. Also, other than Nunez, Adolfo and now Tatis, most of our J2 guys haven't exactly lit the world on fire quite yet.

This move, though, would seem to indicate one of two things — either the Rangers have more international players they have deals with that they need pool money to sign, or the Rangers are loading up on pool money to maximize what they can offer Japanese pitcher Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani, if you are not familiar, is a 23 year old stud pitcher in Japan who the Rangers have been scouting for some time, and who Jon Daniels and company went and scouted in May (despite Ohtani being sidelined at the time). Ohtani is considered the best pitching prospect from Japan since...well, since Yu Darvish. He’s viewed as a legitimate top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.

The Rangers, by all accounts, want Ohtani badly. And if Ohtani wants to come over to the U.S. this offseason, any team who is willing to pay the $20 million posting fee (the new maximum amount allowed) that goes to Ohtani’s team, the Nippon Ham Fighters, can negotiate with Ohtani. However, Ohtani is subject to the J-2 limits, just as any other international free agent under the age of 25 is.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2017/7/15/1597...onus-pool-money

So...this may be nothing. Or it may be a sign that the Rangers expect Ohtani to announce this offseason he’s coming to the United States, and are loading up on available international bonus pool money they can offer him.

FWIW, Otani just made his season debut last Wednesday and got shelled. Didn't get out of the 2nd inning. He was visibly frustrated and was missing his spots bu 12+ inches at times. The stuff looked sharp and the velo was fine -- I think it was pretty clearly rust.

But it'll be interesting to see if he can regain full form before the end of the season, and if he doesn't, if it means he waits another year.