Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
If the PTBNL is sent after the season is over, do they still have to clear waivers? Maybe that is why they did a Named Later instead of just a deal? Just spit balling here.

Tony Kemp would make sense because he technically needs to clear waivers or get claimed by Sox. If he's not technically "through waivers" yet it makes sense. The only way this matters in this sense is if Sox are acquiring someone on the 40 man. Astros can just trade any prospect not on the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
Tony Kemp would make sense because he technically needs to clear waivers or get claimed by Sox. If he's not technically "through waivers" yet it makes sense. The only way this matters in this sense is if Sox are acquiring someone on the 40 man. Astros can just trade any prospect not on the 40 man roster.

The one exception to the non-40 would be where the Sox have a choice of say three guys and this gives them extra time to scout and decide.

Tony Kemp is having a great season. How can a guy 5-foot-6 have 10 home runs? He's hitting .324 with a .373 OBP. There's no way this guy is the player to be named for Clippard, who is horrific. If Kemp is the player, the Sox should start him immediately and bat him lead off and see what they've got.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
It is very likely that our return will not be someone on the 40-man roster.

And it's most likely tied into some sort of Clippard performance. I read an article on this type of thing, and usually most teams don't claim a guy they know is a PTBNL because they know they are just delaying the inevitable, and the guy isn't going to do anything to the pennant race, and they will be in a similar circumstance sometime and would want the player right away.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
Tony Kemp is having a great season. How can a guy 5-foot-6 have 10 home runs? He's hitting .324 with a .373 OBP. There's no way this guy is the player to be named for Clippard, who is horrific. If Kemp is the player, the Sox should start him immediately and bat him lead off and see what they've got.

Have you ever heard of this guy in Houston?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/altuvjo01.shtml

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Have you ever heard of this guy in Houston?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/altuvjo01.shtml

Don't understand your question. My point is he's so much better than Clippard no way we are getting him. If we do get him, start him now, bat him leadoff and see what we got.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
Don't understand your question. My point is he's so much better than Clippard no way we are getting him. If we do get him, start him now, bat him leadoff and see what we got.

You just seemed amazed that a 5'6" guy had 10 homers in the minor leagues. I was just showing how the same franchise has a major league player who is 5'6" with 20+ homers and may win the MVP award.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
No one has to clear waivers from Houston to get to the Sox. They have the first choice. That's why this Kemp thing makes little sense. Why would it be a PTBNL or cash?

Even if we claim him, Kemp would still technically have to go through the waiver process. And because he's not immediately available, he has to be a PTBNL. Seems pretty straight forward to me. The cash part seems like a technical requirement due to the player coming back our way having to go through the waiver process and some consideration being required to execute a trade. I'm sure the rules don't take into account the fact we have first claim.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
Even if we claim him, Kemp would still technically have to go through the waiver process. And because he's not immediately available, he has to be a PTBNL. Seems pretty straight forward to me. The cash part seems like a technical requirement due to the player coming back our way having to go through the waiver process and some consideration being required to execute a trade. I'm sure the rules don't take into account the fact we have first claim.

Would you like to wager this guy will be a White Sox in the next 48 hours?

There have been plenty of players traded for a PTBNL without the or cash, and since it would be a slam dunk the White Sox would win the claim, again, it makes zero sense.

Edited by Dick Allen

Could it be that the PTBNL is someone on their 40 or that is rule 5 eligible that we want them to hold onto so they don't take up a spot on our 40 for the rule 5 draft? I think we are going to be right up against the limit with some of these recent acquisitions and Houston might have the space and not care as long as the spot is open for them for free agency. I haven't looked at their 40 man and any roster crunch, but its just an idea.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Could it be that the PTBNL is someone on their 40 or that is rule 5 eligible that we want them to hold onto so they don't take up a spot on our 40 for the rule 5 draft? I think we are going to be right up against the limit with some of these recent acquisitions and Houston might have the space and not care as long as the spot is open for them for free agency. I haven't looked at their 40 man and any roster crunch, but its just an idea.

I believe that the players must be sent as a PTBNL before the beginning of the next season, which is like the week after the World Series.

Its most likely the White Sox have a list of 7-10 prospects they can pick from and they are evaluating which they would like to have.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
I believe that the players must be sent as a PTBNL before the beginning of the next season, which is like the week after the World Series.

Its most likely the White Sox have a list of 7-10 prospects they can pick from and they are evaluating which they would like to have.

I agree. I think it was a PTBNL arrangement due to Houston wanting deal done quickly and gives sox time to scout lower-level players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
No one has to clear waivers from Houston to get to the Sox. They have the first choice. That's why this Kemp thing makes little sense. Why would it be a PTBNL or cash?

Because the Astros couldn't trade him if they hadn't put him through waivers yet. Which they probably had not because why put a prospect (using that term loosely here) in AAA through waivers? Therefore, the PTBNL status is merely a procedural move while the Astros put Kemp on waivers and allow the Sox to claim him, completing the deal.

No idea if that is actually what is going on here, but it makes some sense if Kemp is the guy. But as I said earlier, we'll know in a couple days if it is Kemp.