Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Kemp is Leury Garica ...at best. Redundant mid level outfield talent.

I hope the Sox received some salary relief on what they owed Clippy.

Otherwise that trade does not seem to make much sense for the White Sox. In any case, no big deal here. The most interesting aspect of this is considering why Houston would even want Clippy, unless they just wanted another innings burner to bide time and give their main relievers some rest as they prepare for the play-offs.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 13, 2017 -> 10:54 PM)
If it's a PTBNL or cash, then it's likely going to based on Clippard's performance with the Astros. If it was just Tony Kemp, they'd just have announced it as a PTBNL.

I'd think you'd leave the cash option on the table as Kemp is still playing and may hurt himself, potentially changing the trade.

Guys, I didn't believe it before, but now I am sure of it - the White Sox are in full on rebuild mode. I thought with a young group of fire throwers in the bullpen and a veteran saddled rotation, along with a rejuvenated offense, the Sox were absolutely still trying to contend. But, with the trade of Tyler Clippard, I now have absolutely no doubt that they are rebuilding. Killer blow to the bullpen. Smdh

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 13, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)
Tony Kemp is Leury Garica ...at best. Redundant mid level outfield talent.

I hope the Sox received some salary relief on what they owed Clippy.

Otherwise that trade does not seem to make much sense for the White Sox. In any case, no big deal here. The most interesting aspect of this is considering why Houston would even want Clippy, unless they just wanted another innings burner to bide time and give their main relievers some rest as they prepare for the play-offs.

LOL yes, let's not get average to above average players with versatility for s***ty relievers who are free agents at the end of the year who were only included in a trade to offset salaries.

I am literally laughing at how ridiculous this post and premise is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)
Guys, I didn't believe it before, but now I am sure of it - the White Sox are in full on rebuild mode. I thought with a young group of fire throwers in the bullpen and a veteran saddled rotation, along with a rejuvenated offense, the Sox were absolutely still trying to contend. But, with the trade of Tyler Clippard, I now have absolutely no doubt that they are rebuilding. Killer blow to the bullpen. Smdh

Tyler Clippard loved Drake LaRoche. Fact.

At the end of 2015, Tony Kemp was the #10 prospect in the Astros system and #9 2B Prospect in baseball.

Can play INF/OF and has put up great AAA numbers. Kinda sounds like Leury, who has been a great surprise this season.

To get that for six weeks of Tyler Clippard? If that's who the Sox pull back it is an amazing deal by Hahn.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2017 -> 10:37 PM)

🙄

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2017 -> 11:41 PM)
LOL yes, let's not get average to above average players with versatility for s***ty relievers who are free agents at the end of the year who were only included in a trade to offset salaries.

I am literally laughing at how ridiculous this post and premise is.

You lied about the premise of my post in order to create a straw man argument because you just had to troll a bit.

I stated that Kemp, at best, is very similar to a player we already have - Leury Garcia, who may or may not be part of the future plans of the White Sox beyond 2018.

You stated that Kemp is an average or above average player? On what basis?

Kemp is 25 yrs old (about a year younger than Leury and an inch shorter at 5'6")

Unlike Leury, Kemp has limited major league experience posting a .211 batting average and 1 HR in 123 AB .

I was actually pretty generous in comparing him to Leury.

My "post and premise" was ridiculous? OK have fun trolling.

Sox stockpile enough guys like Cordell, Kemp, Gillaspie, Polo etc. and eventually they are bound to strike gold on someone. Really you could throw Kevan Smith, Delmonico, Engel, Davidson, Leury into that same tier as well. Individually they may not be too impressive but players of that status break out as above-average major leaguers all the time. Sox have a lot of playing time to go around for the foreseeable future, especially in the outfield...makes sense to keep rolling the dice on these guys and seeing what happens.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 01:13 AM)
You lied about the premise of my post in order to create a straw man argument because you just had to troll a bit.

I stated that Kemp, at best, is very similar to a player we already have - Leury Garcia, who may or may not be part of the future plans of the White Sox beyond 2018.

You stated that Kemp is an average or above average player? On what basis?

Kemp is 25 yrs old (about a year younger than Leury and an inch shorter at 5'6")

Unlike Leury, Kemp has limited major league experience posting a .211 batting average and 1 HR in 123 AB .

I was actually pretty generous in comparing him to Leury.

My "post and premise" was ridiculous? OK have fun trolling.

Just to be clear, would you rather have Tyler Clippard, or Tony Kemp, a guy who's at best a "3.5 WAR player in a full season with good defensive versatility", and also cost controlled?

And what would you have said about the best case scenario for Chris Taylor before 2017?