Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 07:41 AM)
Yah I have to imagine the Sox may get something interesting. Otherwise why even bother helping the Astros.

Because, at minimum, the Astros have to pay Clippard the minimum, so it saves them something. They aren't getting back crap for him.

This is the Astros. They don't want to give you something interesting for Jose Quintana.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
Because, at minimum, the Astros have to pay Clippard the minimum, so it saves them something. They aren't getting back crap for him.

This is the Astros. They don't want to give you something interesting for Jose Quintana.

The Astros just gave up a pretty decent prospect for Liriano. It's the top few guys that are untouchable for them, not the mid and lower end talent. And honestly, the Astros aren't going to have a lot of options if they want to upgrade their bullpen given their record and low waiver priority. We should get something back of moderate value unless they took on the entire contract.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 06:52 AM)
Have to believe it's someone on their 40 man roster given it's a PTBNL. Kemp still makes a lot of sense IMO.

Do really really need another 25 year old AAAA outfielder to throw in the mix in Kemp? We currently have a ton of those guys in Garcia, Engel, Liriano, Tilsen, Polo, Cordell, Delmonico, Polo, etc.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Do really really need another 25 year old AAAA outfielder to throw in the mix in Kemp? We currently have a ton of those guys in Garcia, Engel, Liriano, Tilsen, Polo, Cordell, Delmonico, Polo, etc.

Kemp isn't much of a prospect but he still has a chance. If the Sox actually turn 1.5 months of Clippard in their current state, into Tony Kemp, that's pretty much a no brainer. I don't buy it though.

Leury Garcia looked like he may have a tough time ever hitting .200 and a .600 OPS at times appeared too optimistic. But now he is a legit MLB player. It could happen with Kemp.

The one caveat is Houston may be having a 40 man roster crunch. I really have no idea, so these guys near the end of it may be considered more than expendable. Lunhow seems to love his prospects more than GarPax.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2017 -> 10:37 PM)
Guys, I didn't believe it before, but now I am sure of it - the White Sox are in full on rebuild mode. I thought with a young group of fire throwers in the bullpen and a veteran saddled rotation, along with a rejuvenated offense, the Sox were absolutely still trying to contend. But, with the trade of Tyler Clippard, I now have absolutely no doubt that they are rebuilding. Killer blow to the bullpen. Smdh

I don't think I've seen enough evidence of this supposed "rebuild" yet. I think they're just getting rid of guys that Kenny doesn't like.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)

I don't think it's fair to say any of those guys are AAAA players just yet. Could they all be? Absolutely but the idea with some of these lesser trades might be to acquire these type of guys because one of them might actually hit.

Were there rule changes to why PTBNL would indicate a 40 man guy? I thought it was just done for expediency, like, hey, we want this deal done, here is a list of guys we'll trade for him, you can scout them post deal. If you like none of them, here's cash.

^Conversation

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 06:01 AM)
Just to be clear, would you rather have Tyler Clippard, or Tony Kemp, a guy who's at best a "3.5 WAR player in a full season with good defensive versatility", and also cost controlled?

And what would you have said about the best case scenario for Chris Taylor before 2017?

Let me put it this way. would you rather have Tony Kemp and a million dollars, or nothing? THAT is really the choice here (assuming the PTBNL thing is right?}

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
Let me put it this way. would you rather have Tony Kemp and a million dollars, or nothing? THAT is really the choice here (assuming the PTBNL thing is right?}

I think at least 90% of the folks on here would be quite pleased if the PTBNL ends up as Tony Kemp. If it is, I think we'll know within a couple days. If we don't know within a couple days, it isn't Tony Kemp.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Merkin pointed out the White Sox now have no pitcher on their roster who has recorded a save this year.

I wonder how long that will last, truthfully. May be a new mlb record.

QUOTE (ReyLo @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 08:48 AM)
Were there rule changes to why PTBNL would indicate a 40 man guy? I thought it was just done for expediency, like, hey, we want this deal done, here is a list of guys we'll trade for him, you can scout them post deal. If you like none of them, here's cash.

^Conversation

I'm just speculating because someone on the 40 man would have to clear waivers or be claimed by us in order to be traded. Your scenario is plausible, but I don't really see the urgency for a deal to be rushed given where the Astros are in the standings and it's not like we're approaching any deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)

We get Kemp and salary relief, removal of a decent arm for tanking advantage, and also another feather in cap for Coop.