Trade avi in the offseason?

ron883

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 06:21 PM)
At this point I have to imagine the Sox will get some nice offers for Avi this winter.

Why? Our fans have pointed out it's all a mirage. Why would other teams think otherwise and actually want him? That's what I don't understand. All the BABIP red flags. Only the Sox fans notice them? Nobody else?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Why? Our fans have pointed out it's all a mirage. Why would other teams think otherwise and actually want him? That's what I don't understand. All the BABIP red flags. Only the Sox fans notice them? Nobody else?

lolz.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

Solid post Greg. When that happens - I gotta give you some props.

:wub:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)

Good post Greg, seriously.

Avi's red flags are why it's better to not trade him or extend him at this point. Let him play next season and go from there. His future does not need to be determined right now.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)
Avi's red flags are why it's better to not trade him or extend him at this point. Let him play next season and go from there. His future does not need to be determined right now.

But there are two problems with doing nothing:

1. If Avi's 2017 is a mirage, then his value will never be higher. (Based on his overall body of work, & the very favorable offensive environment this season, & his luck, I happen to believe it is a mirage.)

2. Whether this is a "new normal," or a mirage, his controllable years are running out; this could make Avi more expensive to extend after 2018, or scupper his trade value, JD Martinez-style.

I still say "sell high." I buy the track record, not the one lucky year if I'm Hahn.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

I would absolutely love this to be real with Avi. Like DA said, no one has ever questioned his talent or his effort. Like I've said before, his track record doesn't justify a high dollar extension. If he walks because he has another awesome 2018 and we can't afford him, then I guess that's the case.

Avi would still likely have been a useful (2ish WAR) player without the BABIP luck this year. I'm guessing that's about how he'd be valued on the market.

The interesting thing to me is whether he continues to improve. He's a classic case of a guy that could add more loft to his swing and start hitting 30+ home runs ala JD Martinez. The physical talent and size is so absurd that you almost hate to sell a guy just tapping into it.

On the other hand, it could also wreck his BABIP, so who knows if he should focus on it. But for instance pulling the ball more this year really helped him in a number of areas.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 02:15 AM)
But there are two problems with doing nothing:

1. If Avi's 2017 is a mirage, then his value will never be higher. (Based on his overall body of work, & the very favorable offensive environment this season, & his luck, I happen to believe it is a mirage.)

I still say "sell high." I buy the track record, not the one lucky year if I'm Hahn.

Did you not read the other posts? His BABIP is out of whack and his power numbrers stink and his RBI totals aren't ungodly. He has little to no trade value. We can't have it both ways, folks. We say the red flags are there and he's basically not very good and why would any team want that??? So you want to acquire a couple hack middle relievers for him? Fine I guess. Or some low level outfielder who will never make it big either?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Did you not read the other posts? His BABIP is out of whack and his power numbrers stink and his RBI totals aren't ungodly. He has little to no trade value. We can't have it both ways, folks. We say the red flags are there and he's basically not very good and why would any team want that??? So you want to acquire a couple hack middle relievers for him? Fine I guess. Or some low level outfielder who will never make it big either?

Literally no one has ever said this other than you.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 06:32 PM)
While greg is off in gregland, I am curious what the rest of Soxtalk thinks of this off-season as it relates to Avi.

Extend

Trade

Play it out

If trade is your first choice, how little of a return would you be OK with in a trade of Garcia?

I would play it out. Like somebody said, there's no law that says we have to try to extend him now. Even Avi "probably" is aware there hasn't been a pattern of excellence. If he's smart he'll work out hard in the offseason and have another stellar season.

I do agree with whomever wrote there's no reason to extend him now. We are rebuilding; he is re-inventing himself, so just keep on keeping on during another rebuild season.

Trading him would be foolish UNLESS you are just trying to tank, quite frankly. Dealing Avi would definitely weaken the team at this point. As far as the return in a trade? I dunno. I wouldn't expect much unless there's some NL general manager simply in love with him.

There's absolutely no reason to do anything. Just play ball next spring and see what happens. If he someday wants too much $$ to stay with the Sox, the Sox do 'project' to have at least 3 star outfielders for the rebuilt team in Eloy, Robert and Rutherford and some others like Polo, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
While greg is off in gregland, I am curious what the rest of Soxtalk thinks of this off-season as it relates to Avi.

Extend

Trade

Play it out

If trade is your first choice, how little of a return would you be OK with in a trade of Garcia?

Extend.

Sox have the money. Avi has the skills and hustle. Do it. Or, at least make the offer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)

Extend

Trade

Play it out

I think you have to take an approach that leaves all options open. Go into the offseason willing to listen to and even make offers for trades, and if you don't find the value you're looking for, play him in 2018 and see if this is a fluke or legitimate. If it's legitimate, the option of shopping him comes open again, and if you yet again don't find the value you're looking for, look into extending him. At that point he'll have nearly 2 seasons of being a 3+ WAR RF under his belt, so a 3-4 year extension with options wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Of course if he fails, any move but a trade will be questioned and scrutinized.

Tough call, but if they didn't envision him being part of the team they are trying to create, they need to be open to trading Garcia (and Abreu). I don't know what his value is out there with other teams, but they obviously need to listen this offseason. And of course, do not extend him now. That's the last thing they should do.