How do we solve our K/BB epidemic?

Greg Hibbard

Nobody is good at taking walks on this team. I see this as potentially the single biggest issue with our lineup medium term.

Is there ANYTHING to be done to help these guys take more walks?

Anderson and Davidson have woeful ratios, Garcia and Abreu are below average. Delmonico seems like he might have this as an asset, and Moncada seems like he might be alright too....

How much of hinderance is this kind of ratio for the team?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
Nobody is good at taking walks on this team. I see this as potentially the single biggest issue with our lineup medium term.

Is there ANYTHING to be done to help these guys take more walks?

Anderson and Davidson have woeful ratios, Garcia and Abreu are below average. Delmonico seems like he might have this as an asset, and Moncada seems like he might be alright too....

How much of hinderance is this kind of ratio for the team?

Yes. This is a massive issue. We just need to find guys that aren't swing happy in the draft (which we've been doing) and through free agency.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 09:29 PM)
In Timmy Anderson's case, a smaller bat. Like Moncada did, he needs to suck it up and go to a smaller bat. He looks silly waving that big piece of lumber ala that former Ranger who played til he was 50, I forget his name.

A smaller bat isn’t going to give him a better eye at the plate

In Timmy Anderson's case, a smaller bat. Like Moncada did, he needs to suck it up and go to a smaller bat. He looks silly waving that big piece of lumber ala that former Ranger who played til he was 50, I forget his name.

And play catcher as well. It'll help with the hand eye coordination...

While although a problem in the Current setting, I don’t think it will be as big of a concern when it matters. Now if you are one of the minority that think if all goes well the Sox can compete next year (ala the Twins) then, yes, we probably have a problem and should be searching hard for a solution this offseason. However I think next year is just another step forward in the learning curve so this is less an epidemic and more of just a problem we need to solve in the next 2 free agent classes and drafts. I think we are an Astros/Cubs Lite in terms of rebuild. The Astros went from 51 wins (yikes!) to 70 wins to 86 wins to 84 wins before finally breaking out this year. I would think we’d follow a similar path with less swings. So with that being said let’s look at 2019…

Players that will most likely be around in 2 years: Abreu, Anderson, Moncada, Garcia (likely). I think we can all agree Abreu is not a problem. I think we can also agree that we’ll take whatever Moncada gives us which will probably be high strikeouts and high walks. Anderson won’t improve much either, but you hope he starts putting it all together defensively and more so how he’s played this second half of the season. At the end of the day if your SS is playing defense with range, a strong arm, stealing 25-30 bases, hitting 15-20 HR and batting .270? I’m fine with him not walking and comfortable with his strikeouts. He just slots in the 7-9 spots in the order. Garcia? He’s a wildcard.

So that leaves Catcher, 3B, RF, CF, DH.

Catcher – Collins – He’s show he’s a OBP guy. Can take walks, and most likely will be up by 2019 I’d assume

DH – I’ll slot Burger in here for now. I’m not sure he’d be on the 2019 team, but probably 2020 for sure. Who knows if he progresses in the minors and makes the majors, but again, he’s a guy who takes walks

3B – I’ll be completely optimistic and hope for a FA here. Machado or Arenado a year later. If so? Golden

RF – Eloy – if he is what we think he is? My lord, no problem there.

CF – Robert? Probably a year too early.. Rutherford…probably a few years too early and not sold on him.. so let’s just say a defensively minded CF

Overall I don’t see many problems. Hahn and co. have done a great job of making sure the guys who are younger have a better approach. I really don’t see 2019 as a problem. Now 2018? Yes… this team will continue to have the same issues if they run out the Davidson’s, Delmonico’s of the world. I just don’t see those guys being around in 2019.

I'd just like to add that Moncada walks at a nearly 13% clip as a 22 year old. According to Fangraphs, that leaves him with 4 years on a normal aging curve to improve his BB% and reduce his K%. Meanwhile, the top qualifier walks at a 19% rate, while the #20 qualifier has the exact same walk rate as Moncada. I'm sure he'll be fine moving forward.

Are you talking about Julio Franco? Because I'm pretty sure you're talking about Julio Franco.

If Tim Anderson hits like Julio Franco, then Tim Anderson can walk however much he damn well pleases.

QUOTE (Chisoxmb35 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 09:27 PM)
Most of this roster will be completely unrecognizable in 2-3 years. I have no clue how this matters at all, let alone how it's an epidemic?

The pieces that will be here haven't proven they can take walks. Tim Anderson is one of the only ones we know WILL be here, and he's arguably the worst at it.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
The pieces that will be here haven't proven they can take walks. Tim Anderson is one of the only ones we know WILL be here, and he's arguably the worst at it.

In all fairness, you're talking about like 2 guys in the long-run who are currently here who will likely be starters on our next good team.

Edited by soxfan2014

There is no question that Anderson needs to walk more, but typically players do become more patient as they age. And if he doesn't, he'll be just fine in a super sub role or wearing another uniform.

Again, Moncada walks at a nearly 13% clip, which would be the 20th best rate in the league if he qualified.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
In what year do you think we see our next good team?

I'm going to be cautious and say 2020. With the way the division is shaping up maybe 2019. I don't expect the likes of Davidson, Delmonico, Engel, Narvaez to be playing big roles at that point.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
In what year do you think we see our next good team?

That depends on your definition of good. I think this team with the right FA additions could compete for a Wild Card in 2019 and be in serious contention for the division from 2020 on. In the highly unlikely scenario that everyone hits their ceilings, we could be looking at a multiple World Series winner throughout the 2020s.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
Why not Delmonico? Davidson, Engel and Narvaez I certainly agree with

Although Narvaez has elite plate discipline himself, if he can improve his framing I think he can be a useful future piece. Sure he has no power but he has a .375 OBP.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
Are you talking about Julio Franco? Because I'm pretty sure you're talking about Julio Franco.

If Tim Anderson hits like Julio Franco, then Tim Anderson can walk however much he damn well pleases.

Yes. Franco. Watch a tape of Anderson and that huge bat. It's like Franco waving that huge piece of lumber. Anderson needs to use a smaller, lighter bat and he'll see the results of Moncada since he switched bats.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
What do we think of the sample size though? Is it large enough to draw those conclusions?

Considering he's 22 and performed similarly through the minors, I think it's safe to say he'll be there or better for a good chunk of his career.