2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 12:23 PM)
In the ESPN.COM column on remaining free agents and where they will sign, for Moustakis, they gave the White Sox as best bet. I always figured the way Hawk went on and on about him, he was highly regarded at 35th and Shields. You have to wonder if his knee surgery hurt his defense, and if so, if it's permanent, but if they are being realistic, and his price is down, his bat would look really good at GRF.

I would think if KC and the Sox were offering the same dough, he would stay where he's at.

Forfeiting a draft pick for him would be moronic.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 01:38 PM)
Forfeiting a draft pick for him would be moronic.

Chances of that pick being a better player than Moustakas are slim. I also think its slim they sign him, but probably like him a lot and if you gave him 4 or 5 years, he is there for when the winning is supposed to commence. It also would probably take Machado out of the equation, but then again, maybe not. Who knows, maybe Moustakis moves to 1B in a couple of years, and his presence helps convince a guy like Machado to take the White Sox money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 01:49 PM)
Chances of that pick being a better player than Moustakas are slim. I also think its slim they sign him, but probably like him a lot and if you gave him 4 or 5 years, he is there for when the winning is supposed to commence. It also would probably take Machado out of the equation, but then again, maybe not. Who knows, maybe Moustakis moves to 1B in a couple of years, and his presence helps convince a guy like Machado to take the White Sox money.

Moustakas isn't good enough to warrant losing a draft pick at this point in time given where the Sox are at as a franchise. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 02:37 PM)
Moustakas isn't good enough to warrant losing a draft pick at this point in time given where the Sox are at as a franchise. Just my opinion.

A second round pick and $500k of international money of which you can't go over $300k anyway? Please. At some point, you are going to have to add vets. Now may be the time to get him. I don't know. But if you think 2019 is the year the window can open, it's time to consider something like this, especially since the 3B market seems to be saturated and it could keep his cost down. The Sox could use some LH power. If it's 2020 you are shooting for, then holding off sounds reasonable. The price is key, and I would figure if it's a steep discount, he's going back to KC.

Edited by Dick Allen

In the last 3 seasons, Moustakas has had a 4 WAR year, a 0.7 WAR year, and a 1.8 WAR year (rWAR). That's not bad, but it's certainly not great. His defense has been trending downwards the last several years and was a negative last year. We'd be paying him in 2018 to fill a position where we have a much cheaper option in Sanchez, the first year he'll be on a team that could make some noise in 2019 he'll be a 30 year old, and on my 102 win team in 2020 he'll be 31. So we'd be paying the 2018 premium for him when he's useless to us, we'd be saying that a guy who clearly outperformed him last year in Sanchez can't outperform him this year, and spending $15 million a year on that assertion. And then on top of that, that signing basically blocks us from signing Machado or Donaldson next year.

Obviously I don't like this at all.

I don't think the draft pick is the issue as much as the timeline. He profiles as a guy who will likely be an average player by the time we need him -- and while average players are important, you can sign them when the time is right without absorbing the risk of early decline and the opportunity cost of a better option developing (Burger? Machado?) that you'd incur by getting them early.

It's not a bad idea, I just don't think Moustakas has enough upside to be the right guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
A second round pick and $500k of international money of which you can't go over $300k anyway? Please. At some point, you are going to have to add vets. Now may be the time to get him. I don't know. But if you think 2019 is the year the window can open, it's time to consider something like this, especially since the 3B market seems to be saturated and it could keep his cost down. The Sox could use some LH power. If it's 2020 you are shooting for, then holding off sounds reasonable. The price is key, and I would figure if it's a steep discount, he's going back to KC.

This is what KC should be looking into instead of Hosmer. It may not be easy to find someone to replicate Hosmer's numbers at 1B from last year but that was a career year for him anyway.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 09:16 AM)
A fun read on how trades happen in the 21st century.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/sports/b...l?smid=tw-share

Second direct reference to this I've seen during the offseason... I find it hilarious and would give a finger to see a collection of texts with accompanying gifs / emojis.

Wonder if anyone uses "the farting dog"...

🐕💨

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:07 PM)

If a deal came together, I would imagine a deal centered around Frazier and Cole would come together pretty quickly.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-trade-rumors-n...-181208370.html

"Christian Yelich and J.T. Realmuto are likely on the move this offseason and the Nationals are in on the sweepstakes. They may even be trying to land both players in a single deal. According to MLB.com, the Nationals are trying to acquire one or the other to upgrade their roster and would be open to acquiring both in a mega-deal."

This is going to get old quick - seems like a new report every day that teams are talking to Marlins about either one or both.