It's Still Not April - Pass the Time v2.0

hi8is

So it's still not April yet and this offseason has been a league wide exercise in watching paint dry. To help the time pass by, let's have a little fun.

Say you're an employee for the Chicago White Sox front office and you've been tasked with compiling a draft letter to send to Ontani's representation.

As a part of this - you can assume any "voice" and magically create any narrative which you need. Write as if you're Rick Hahn, Don Cooper, Herm, or Jerry Rindsdorff. Want a quote from Paulie, or Abreu, or Shingto, or Gooch... snap, crackle, pop, bam, BOOM!

Just write it all up and tie it together with a pretty bow.

Here's what Ontani has asked for specifically:

1. “An evaluation of Shohei’s talent as a pitcher and/or a hitter;

2. “Player development, medical, training and player performance philosophies and capabilities;

3. “Major League, Minor League, and Spring Training facilities;

4. “Resources for Shohei’s cultural assimilation;

5. “A detailed plan for integrating Shohei into the organization;

6. “Why the city and franchise are a desirable place to play;

7. “Relevant marketplace characteristics.”

He did ask for two versions: one English and another Japanese... but let's all go ahead and bow out of that second obligation.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Dear Ohtani,

Please sign with any team not named the cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Orioles, Blue Jays, Brewers, Reds, Cardinals, Pirates, Dodgers, Giants, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Padres, Astros, Angels, Rangers, Mariners, Athletics, Mets, Nationals, Braves, Marlins, Phillies, Indians, royals, twins or tigers.

Thanks, dude.

Fixed.

Hmmm marketplace characteristics? Does that mean how much money we are free to offer? From what I've read we have no chance cause we simply can't offer enough money. I know what he's said, but cmon. Money means everything. Otherwise Sox do rate very high in the other categories. I'd have some intern do the work and I'd edit it and email it but that's about it. It's a waste of time. This guy's representation is not gonna let him sign for pennies when they get a nice chunk of the money themselves.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
I'd have some intern do the work and I'd edit it and email it but that's about it. It's a waste of time. This guy's representation is not gonna let him sign for pennies when they get a nice chunk of the money themselves.

Yep... there's so much more that can be done right now ( like watch grass sprout ) and considering that you represent up one of merely 30 professional baseball teams - it would be expectable to just "sit this one out".

You'd be fired, Sir.

The Greg Continues to Amaze.

:wub:

Oh, and I believe that "Relevant marketplace characteristics" refers to any characteristics of Chicago which would be pertinent information for Ontani to consider. Ala: Cultural aspects, unique sponsorship potentials, Japanese resources, travel considerations, etc.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Yep... there's so much more that can be done right now ( like watch grass sprout ) and considering that you represent up one of merely 30 professional baseball teams - it would be expectable to just "sit this one out".

You'd be fired, Sir.

The Greg Continues to Amaze.

:wub:

Oh, and I believe that "Relevant marketplace characteristics" refers to any characteristics of Chicago which would be pertinent information for Ontani to consider. Ala: Cultural aspects, unique sponsorship potentials, Japanese resources, travel considerations, etc.

Chicago wins in so many areas. But cash always wins out. How much can a baseball player enjoy the city he plays in anyway? Chicago in the winter is horrific. Chicago during the summer is great but he's busy playing baseball. If I'm wrong about this one and he takes our pennies compared to what some teams can offer, I will be humbled big time. Cmon. Money money money is what makes the world go round. I'd tell the intern to do a nice job answering the questions and I'd edit it but not spend much time on this.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Chicago wins in so many areas. But cash always wins out. How much can a baseball player enjoy the city he plays in anyway? Chicago in the winter is horrific. Chicago during the summer is great but he's busy playing baseball. If I'm wrong about this one and he takes our pennies compared to what some teams can offer, I will be humbled big time. Cmon. Money money money is what makes the world go round. I'd tell the intern to do a nice job answering the questions and I'd edit it but not spend much time on this.

The point of this thread was to provide an opportunity for people to express some creativity with a baseball related offseason activity... not incessantly regurgitate proverbial brilliant nuggets of The Greg.

Smoochie smoochie :wub:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
The point of this thread was to provide an opportunity for people to express some creativity with a baseball related offseason activity... not incessantly regurgitate proverbial brilliant nuggets of The Greg.

Smoochie smoochie :wub:

Sign says ' danger: rabbit hole ahead'.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)

You know, I was dismissive of this before as well. And I still think it's like a 2 or 3% chance at best.

But...we keep hearing about how he doesn't care about money. And that he specifically told teams not to bring it up further illustrates that.

Chicago is a an easy sell usually. Maybe not for a Japanese person, though. That is an uphill battle I think. But man this city sells itself if done right.

And rumors are out there he wants to be part of a rebuilding team. What better team to join a rebuild with that the White Sox? They have the best collection of young talent in baseball. Show him a highlight video of Jimenez, Robert, Kopech, Hansen, Moncada...I mean wow. Who can top that? He can be part of this from the ground up.

And as said, they have one of the best, if not the very best pitching coaches in baseball. Don Cooper will get the most out of just about every pitcher.

Herm Schneider's tracking record for keeping players off the DL is second to none.

Maybe we do have a chance after all.

Edited by Soha

Seriously... nobody can read it seems.

:lolhitting:

This is not a duplicate thread intended for us to continue talking about Ohanti. The intention was for board members to write an actual letter as if it was their responsibility to attempt to sway the dude here... or provide him with the information he requested through White Sox Colored Lenses.

Read people... read.

Pretty please?

Dear Mr. Ohtani.

Congratulations on your decision to play in the most talented league in the world. I am sure you will find success with any team you choose because you are dedicated to your craft.

The Chicago White Soc offer a unique opportunity to be part of a winning culture for many years. The Sox expect to contend in a short period of time with many talented young players on the rise at the major league and minor league level.Your arrival here as a pitcher and position player would greatly enhance the projected window of contention.

It would be a fools errand to make any promises at this point. You certainly would have a place in the lineup and on the mound but to what degree is uncertain now but will be answered in due time with regards to how our other players develop and also as you develop and adjust to the league.

Chicago is a big city to be sure but has a small town feel to it. The people of the midwest part of the United States have always been known for their work ethic and family values.. There is a rich cultural diversity among the citizens and although the Japanese community is not as large as some other cities I think you would find enrichment with how the White Sox celebrate our multi-cultural city.

The White Sox can also offer a very good track record over the past 10-15 years for keeping players healthy. Some might dismiss that track record as good fortune but we believe it is the result of an excellent staff who stress the importance of communication concerning one's health.

We look forward to being very competitive to our goal of making the playoffs multiple years and competing for a World Championship. It would be wonderful to add you to our family and pursue these goals together with a strong resolve.

You have a unique opportunity for the adventure of a lifetime and we would be very pleased to have that adventure start and continue with the Chicago White Sox for many years to come.

Good fortune and good health to you and those you love .

Best wishes,

The Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)
Dear Mr. Ohtani.

Congratulations on your decision to play in the most talented league in the world. I am sure you will find success with any team you choose because you are dedicated to your craft.

The Chicago White Soc offer a unique opportunity to be part of a winning culture for many years. The Sox expect to contend in a short period of time with many talented young players on the rise at the major league and minor league level.Your arrival here as a pitcher and position player would greatly enhance the projected window of contention.

It would be a fools errand to make any promises at this point. You certainly would have a place in the lineup and on the mound but to what degree is uncertain now but will be answered in due time with regards to how our other players develop and also as you develop and adjust to the league.

Chicago is a big city to be sure but has a small town feel to it. The people of the midwest part of the United States have always been known for their work ethic and family values.. There is a rich cultural diversity among the citizens and although the Japanese community is not as large as some other cities I think you would find enrichment with how the White Sox celebrate our multi-cultural city.

The White Sox can also offer a very good track record over the past 10-15 years for keeping players healthy. Some might dismiss that track record as good fortune but we believe it is the result of an excellent staff who stress the importance of communication concerning one's health.

We look forward to being very competitive to our goal of making the playoffs multiple years and competing for a World Championship. It would be wonderful to add you to our family and pursue these goals together with a strong resolve.

You have a unique opportunity for the adventure of a lifetime and we would be very pleased to have that adventure start and continue with the Chicago White Sox for many years to come.

Good fortune and good health to you and those you love .

Best wishes,

The Chicago White Sox

Thanks for playin along Ron. :P

I've been too slammed still in "real life" to write mine... but kudos.

Cheers

Posted mine in another thread, but here it is (obviously, one the Sox or any MLB team would create would be more professional but here's bullet points):

1. Guaranteed at-bats 2-3 games between starts no matter if he struggles (contender probably can't hold onto that promise if he is struggling) for 2 years.

2. No Japanese stars

3. Medical/training staff. Sox are great at breaking in young pitchers into the league. Will be breaking in others for a full season of work so Sox can carry 6th starter/long reliever type to help make it through the season and provide more rest.

4. Can grow with the rest of the young players brought in over the past year (and even before that)

5. While Chicago does not have a huge Japanese population, Chicago has a very diverse population in general.

Also, have Tadahito Iguchi reach out to him to talk about his time in the city.