Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 01:06 AM)
What direction is reality from Oz?

It's been scientifically proven that the sunlight of logic and reason is incapable of penetrating the deep, very deep, rabbit hole.

No worries about the heart rate though. Conspiracy rabbits are naturally wound up like a crack head so a high heart rate is the norm. Did you know, conspiracy rabbits are closely related to the headless chicken? Now you know why NASCAR drivers are always wrecking. Makes sense now, doesn't it. :lol:

Conspiracy Rabbits => Headless Chickens => Crashed NASCAR Drivers

Yup! Makes perfect sense!!

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
Aren't the Red Sox more desperate for a bat, such as Abreu's, now that their chief rival has acquired Stanton?

Most definitely, but we don’t match up well with them IMO. Groome & Chavis are their top two prospects and I’m not a huge fan of either, at least not as the centerpieces of an Abreu trade. For me to move Abreu I need to be blown away and that means getting JBJ & Chavis. That would be an overpay for the Red Sox, but maybe they figure they can move Benintendi to CF and sign JD Martinez for a corner spot and come out ahead overall. Dombrowski will have to do something though, cause the Yankees have improved and still have the ammo to get even better.

From a Phil Rogers Winter Meetings preview:

https://amp.mlb.com/263178696-al-powers-pon...impression=true

For the Red Sox: Pull off a blockbuster trade for Jose Abreu and others with the White Sox. The cost might be Andrew Benintendi, but what if Benintendi, Sam Travis and lesser prospects bring Abreu, Avisail Garcia and infielder Yolmer Sanchez to Boston?

Those were the White Sox WAR leaders last season, combining for 12.7 wins above replacement. As great as Benintendi's potential is, he's one guy and had a 2.6 rWAR last season. It's true that Garcia and Sanchez (who would start at second while Dustin Pedroia recovers from left knee surgery) need to show they can sustain their success. But Abreu is among the most consistent run-producers in the game, with 25-plus home runs and 100-plus RBIs in all four of his Major League seasons.

Backup plan: Sign J.D. Martinez to play left, move Benintendi to center field and trade Jackie Bradley Jr. to the Giants for first baseman-outfielder Chris Shaw, who hits for power and joins Travis and Michael Chavis as first-base options. The Giants won't want to deal Shaw, but might if the Red Sox take Denard Span and some of the $15 million he's owed.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Can't see the Red Sox dealing Benintendi.

Oh definitely not, just thought it was a wild trade proposal with the Sox trading their three biggest trade chips in one fair swoop. God bless Phil Rogers, dude has been coming up with some of the dumbest trade ideas for a good 20 years now and continues to get paid to do so.

Reading through a Red Sox message board, I’m actually surprised at how many posters would deal JBJ for Abreu. They really think they have a two year window and many of them are committed to doing everything they can maximize that opportunity. Such a plan could include trading JBJ for Abreu, moving Benintendi to CF, and signing a replacement OF in free agency. DD is definitely going to do something drastic now that the Yankees added Stanton. Maybe there’s more of a match here then some of us think.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
Reading through a Red Sox message board, I’m actually surprised at how many posters would deal JBJ for Abreu. They really think they have a two year window and many of them are committed to doing everything they can maximize that opportunity. Such a plan could include trading JBJ for Abreu, moving Benintendi to CF, and signing a replacement OF in free agency. DD is definitely going to do something drastic now that the Yankees added Stanton. Maybe there’s more of a match here then some of us think.

Bradley is controlled for only 1 more year than Abreu. Red Sox have an alarming lack of power.

It's a more a question of why the Whitesox would want to trade Abreu for Bradley.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Bradley is controlled for only 1 more year than Abreu. Red Sox have an alarming lack of power.

It's a more a question of why the Whitesox would want to trade Abreu for Bradley.

Yup. Benintendi or Devers otherwise Dombrowski can go pound sand. Hahn should tell him "Good Luck competing with the Yanks" before hanging up laughing.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

Probably because they think he’s a more valuable asset than Abreu. We know the Sox have been high on JBJ for years. If he were to rebound a bit offensively next year, you’re talking about a CF with a ton of trade value. I’m not big on the idea of moving Abreu and I certainly don’t like getting cute with trades this early into a rebuild, but if my scouts tell me they believe in JBJ and I can get a second piece that offers some long-term potential (like a Chavis) it would be awfully hard to say no. Still can’t see DD doing that big of a overpay, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Back to back tweets

The Chicago #Whitesox say they would have to be overwhelmed by offer to trade Jose Abreu, who's a powerful clubhouse influence. Unlikely to be traded -Nightengale

Abreu and Avisail are being mentioned in trade talk. Garcia, who had nice year (tho not as nice as Abreu) may actually be the more likely one to go. #chisox - Heyman

This is what I have believed to be true all along. Have a feeling Avi is gone.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Back to back tweets

The Chicago #Whitesox say they would have to be overwhelmed by offer to trade Jose Abreu, who's a powerful clubhouse influence. Unlikely to be traded -Nightengale

Abreu and Avisail are being mentioned in trade talk. Garcia, who had nice year (tho not as nice as Abreu) may actually be the more likely one to go. #chisox - Heyman

Much more likely to listen to Heyman than Nightengale. I don't understand why anyone pays attention to what he says.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Red Sox making JBJ available.

Do not want.

So we've got a guy that fits them perfectly but they don't have the assets to interest us. Any ways we could work out a 3rd team? Aside from the Cubs, what other contender seems to have a CF weakness going into next year?

I apologize if this has been stated already, but here is part of what Renteria said on the score the other day regarding Abreu and Garcia...

"I think their impact in our clubhouse on the other players is significant. They would require (in return) a whole lot of talent that would impact our organization as a whole for a long time to come. I think what they bring currently impacts us now and possibly into the future. They do that by the way they carry themselves and the way they prepare. They are a voice in that clubhouse. If we are going to develop a particular identity for ourselves as we continue to chip away, it’s important to have people like that who have grown up in this organization. They offer a lot both on and off of the field."

I agree with Renteria here. It was obvious last season the comeraderie in the clubhouse was excellent, especially toward the end. I believe the health and chemistry of a clubhouse is just as important to the development of the potential elite young talent. Abreu and Garcia have already started developing those relationships with players and are solidifying themselves as leaders, which is what those young guys need. I think their mere presence in that clubhouse (as well as their potential to lead on the field as well) is leaps and bounds more important to the development of the future of this team than any prospects they might get back in return, or JBJ.

Edited by Scoots

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
I apologize if this has been stated already, but here is part of what Renteria said on the score the other day regarding Abreu and Garcia...

"I think their impact in our clubhouse on the other players is significant. They would require (in return) a whole lot of talent that would impact our organization as a whole for a long time to come. I think what they bring currently impacts us now and possibly into the future. They do that by the way they carry themselves and the way they prepare. They are a voice in that clubhouse. If we are going to develop a particular identity for ourselves as we continue to chip away, it’s important to have people like that who have grown up in this organization. They offer a lot both on and off of the field."

I agree with Renteria here. It was obvious last season the comeraderie in the clubhouse was excellent, especially toward the end. I believe the health and chemistry of a clubhouse is just as important to the development of the potential elite young talent. Abreu and Garcia have already started developing those relationships with players and are solidifying themselves as leaders, which is what those young guys need. I think their mere presence in that clubhouse (as well as their potential to lead on the field as well) is leaps and bounds more important to the development of the future of this team than any prospects they might get back in return, or JBJ.

I'm not saying clubhouse isn't important, it is. For the Sox we need to focus on building a future winner, which the 2018 and likely 2019 teams will not be.

We are best served trying to move both Avi and Abreu to be fully stocked moving forward. With Abreu's contract off the books we will have another theoretical $20 million to offer free agents next offseason. Thankfully they adjusted the draft compensation penalty so teams can hang onto their first round draft pick.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)

Even if Ricky knows they want to trade Jose and Avi, this is exactly what he should be saying for the benefit of his clubhouse.

I continue to think a three-way deal with the Sox moving Abreu, someone else getting JBJ, and the Sox getting prospects is about as good of a fit as we're going to get for Abreu.

Maybe something like Fowler, Luzardo, and Armenteros from the A's would work.

I don't know that I love that deal for the Sox, but trying to be realistic. I could see something around that framework. Not sure A's are looking to move prospects, though. But they always seem to be in the middle and a bit of an unknown....so ya never know.

Why can't we take on JBJ and try to flip him later? If our scouts believe he's closer to the hitter he was in 2015/2016 (wRC+ of 120ish) than last year (wRC+ of 90), then he's seems like an incredible buy low type guy. I would most definitely need a secondary piece that offers some long-term potential like Chavis, but a deal like this could make a ton of sense for us. Again, got to trust your scounts on this one.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
Why can't we take on JBJ and try to flip him later? If our scouts believe he's closer to the hitter he was in 2015/2016 (wRC+ of 120ish) than last year (wRC+ of 90), then he's seems like an incredible buy low type guy. I would most definitely need a secondary piece that offers some long-term potential like Chavis, but a deal like this could make a ton of sense for us. Again, got to trust your scounts on this one.

I doubt we could get JBJ + anything of significance. We could always hold JBJ and flip later, sure...but his clock will be ticking. Unless he has a huge year, the best time to trade him for max value would be now.