Ohtani signs with the Angels

southsider2k5

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
Maybe he just didn't like bunting.

Haha, I actually can't believe we didn't list that as an advantage. In Japan, they bunt like literally 5 times more often. EVERYONE bunts, even cleanup hitters.

But maybe, just maybe -- THAT'S the real reason he wanted to leave Japan! Too many bunts! And he liked Chicago until he watched a few WHite Sox games and said, "Nope, this Renteria dude belong in Japan. Too many bunts."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
I'm okay knowing that he didn't choose the White Sox because he wanted to be with a team that had something we couldn't have -- like being on the West Coast, or having a better Japanese-American population.

But it would really hurt knowing he was willing to choose Chicago despite all that, and that the Cubs simply beat us at pitching him. Because if he's considering the Padres, you know the contention window thing doesn't matter.

Not all of the teams meet all of the criteria. Maybe SD had checked all of the other boxes. Maybe SD met all of the other ones but not contention. Whereas the Cubs met the contention one but not some of the others. Each of the teams mentions meet some of them. Now he needs to decide which are the most important.

This is an interesting process where money truly isn't the over riding factor, although doesn't Seattle have one of the higher money pools available, due to the Sox help?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
This is my interpretation would be interested to see if anyone has any corrections

300k - 2mill signing bonus

500k minimum salary for 3 years

arbitration eligible starting year 4

I think he would end up getting super 2 designation so he would probably get arb in year 3, but otherwise this is correct.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
I think he would end up getting super 2 designation so he would probably get arb in year 3, but otherwise this is correct.

You're talking about if he we were to stay down and get the 7th year of control. It would still be year 4. If a team kept him down until like early June (obviously they won't), it would be 5th year. So depending on when he would get called up, it would be 3 or 4 years of arb (at the 6+ years of control).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)

Thanks, I had heard arb in year 3 but I wasn't sure how that was "counted"

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
This is my interpretation would be interested to see if anyone has any corrections

300k - 2mill signing bonus

500k minimum salary for 3 years

arbitration eligible starting year 4

Essentially, though years two and three could be a bit more depending on performance. On rare occasions players reach around a million by year three.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
You're talking about if he we were to stay down and get the 7th year of control. It would still be year 4. If a team kept him down until like early June (obviously they won't), it would be 5th year. So depending on when he would get called up, it would be 3 or 4 years of arb (at the 6+ years of control).

I misunderstood the rule. I thought if he started the season in the majors at the end of his second year he would qualify, but he would have to have more than two years to qualify. He would get arb after year 3. My bad.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
I misunderstood the rule. I thought if he started the season in the majors at the end of his second year he would qualify, but he would have to have more than two years to qualify. He would get arb after year 3. My bad.

You're good. It gets complicated since there are a couple dates.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
Essentially, though years two and three could be a bit more depending on performance. On rare occasions players reach around a million by year three.

Right, this is the Bryant situation right? Assuming Ohtani is a top of the rotation fixture it probably is more likely he's escalated to that number (Whatever it grows to by then).

But still, a freaking bargain. If everyone's right, a team will be getting a top of rotation starter for the signing bonus of like a compensatory pick in the amateur draft. We gave Gavin Sheets 2 million.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Right, this is the Bryant situation right? Assuming Ohtani is a top of the rotation fixture it probably is more likely he's escalated to that number (Whatever it grows to by then).

But still, a freaking bargain. If everyone's right, a team will be getting a top of rotation starter for the signing bonus of like a compensatory pick in the amateur draft. We gave Gavin Sheets 2 million.

I don't think a team has to give him more. I think the Cubs just did it since they screwed him out of coming up sooner and losing a year of free agency.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)

The team signing him will also be paying $20 million to the Japanese team that has his rights as a posting fee, so it's a little more than the compensatory pick price altogether. Still a bargain, but $22 million, not $2 million.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
The team signing him will also be paying $20 million to the Japanese team that has his rights as a posting fee, so it's a little more than the compensatory pick price altogether. Still a bargain, but $22 million, not $2 million.

Good point.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)

Yeah, except someone pointed out early arb and control here.

There is zero chance that the team that signs him sends him down to the minors for any amount of time, so he will definitely have only 6 years of control.

He will also absolutely be a Super 2 player, which won't affect him much early, but will really pump him up late, assuming he is anywhere near as good as the hype is on him.

And for references sake, a $300k bonus would slot at the 160th pick in this years draft, or at the tail end of the 5th round. Even a $3 million bonus would slot him at about the 20th pick slot value.

The White Sox may be able to benefit from the Ohtani situation and maybe also because of the plethora of international guys out on the market. The finalists for Ohtani have been announced: Cubs, Padres, Dodhers, Giants, Rangers, Mariners, Angels. Cubs, Padres, Dodgers and Giants are all limited to a bonus of $300K. The kid is said to not care about $$ and that's kind of evident with 4 of the remaining teams on his list currently unable to spend more than $300K. Texas has $3.53 million in space. They can still acquire an additional $1.5 million roughly though for a total of around $5 million to offer. Seattle has traded for International space and has a total of $1.57 million. They can acquire between $2-$2.5 million more in space though for a total of $3.5-$4 million. The Angels currently have $1.315 million. They can trade for roughly $2 million more in international space and spend between $3-$3.5 million after doing so.

The White Sox still have about $1.1 million in international space. They could theoretically help a team like the Angels get him if more money is a contributing factor.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
The White Sox may be able to benefit from the Ohtani situation and maybe also because of the plethora of international guys out on the market. The finalists for Ohtani have been announced: Cubs, Padres, Dodhers, Giants, Rangers, Mariners, Angels. Cubs, Padres, Dodgers and Giants are all limited to a bonus of $300K. The kid is said to not care about $$ and that's kind of evident with 4 of the remaining teams on his list currently unable to spend more than $300K. Texas has $3.53 million in space. They can still acquire an additional $1.5 million roughly though for a total of around $5 million to offer. Seattle has traded for International space and has a total of $1.57 million. They can acquire between $2-$2.5 million more in space though for a total of $3.5-$4 million. The Angels currently have $1.315 million. They can trade for roughly $2 million more in international space and spend between $3-$3.5 million after doing so.

The White Sox still have about $1.1 million in international space. They could theoretically help a team like the Angels get him if more money is a contributing factor.

Sox should be pedaling that right now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)

Where did you find this?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
https://twitter.com/JamesFox917Bob NightengaleVerified account @BNightengale The Chicago #WhiteSox are also out on Ohtani 2 replies 0 retweets 1 like

Mariners, Padres, Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Rangers and Cubs only teams remaining as of 12/4.

It won't be the Rangers/Cubs. It will be a west coast team and I'm predicting Angels / Mariners.

Also Im just rooting for DiPoto. No reason, wouldn't want him as our GM.

But I miss the art of the mlb player for mlb player trade and he's the only one still bothering with that.

And last year had such rotten luck for them. But, basically they are a mirror image of how sox ran for a long time. lots of interesting pieces, razor thin margin for error, trying to go for it with a wiped out farm system.

And...I dont' know why I want it to work out for them but DiPoto had a nice podcast so I'm rooting for him.