Ohtani signs with the Angels

southsider2k5

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
Looks like the Rangers got him.

https://twitter.com/SandlerJ/status/938456493028003841

Yay, a decision!

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
Other tweets of his say no Ohtani. It's Mike Minor who's deal just became official.

Buzz kill.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
Yeah just saw that nevermind.

Tease.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

Sources: Shohei Ohtani is done interviewing the seven finalists to sign him. His last meeting was actually Tuesday night with the San Diego Padres. Next, presumably, will be his decision. Timetable is not clear yet, but it could well be soon.

At least we know it should be done by the 22nd.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
Really hoping Seattle gets him since i might be living there in a year

You got a good job come on down. If you don't, well, it can be tough. I moved here about six years ago on a whim from NYC and I've been shocked at how quickly the cost of living has matched and in some cases exceeded NYC.

That said, if you're into nature and making a decent living this place is heaven. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else at the moment. You got mountains everywhere you look, the Puget Sound, and the ocean and rain forest out on the peninsula all 30 minutes to 3 hours away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)

People on twitter last night were saying Eloy and Kopech straight up for him might not even get the job done. I think he's a bigger risk than people are acknowledging. The culture shock element can't be ignored imo. Ichiro had a singular focus and a great, winning personality in addition to his talents, we'll see if Ohtani is similar.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
Why would you want the best team in baseball with almost unlimited financial resources to get him??

I want all good players not on the White Sox to be in the NL.

I want him on the Dodgers so that they can beat the cubs going forwad.

I want him on the Padres as I think they will always suck and he did not give the White Sox a fair look so screw him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)
People on twitter last night were saying Eloy and Kopech straight up for him might not even get the job done. I think he's a bigger risk than people are acknowledging. The culture shock element can't be ignored imo. Ichiro had a singular focus and a great, winning personality in addition to his talents, we'll see if Ohtani is similar.

Risk? For the amount of money we are talking about the word risk really doesn't apply. Top end we are talking about $3 million, plus the $20 million posting fee. They have zero contractual obligation or dollar lock in to him past that. For perspective sake, we are talking about half of the total outlay of what we spent on a Luis Robert who is four years younger, with much larger questions.

That Callis report seems glowing but Longenhagen has said if Ohtani was purely a hitter he wouldn't have him ranked in the top 100 prospects.

I'd love to see him become a star on both sides of the ball but having to focus on both will probably be too difficult, I would be surprised if he managed a 100 wRC+. But who really knows.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 05:53 PM)
Risk? For the amount of money we are talking about the word risk really doesn't apply. Top end we are talking about $3 million, plus the $20 million posting fee. They have zero contractual obligation or dollar lock in to him past that. For perspective sake, we are talking about half of the total outlay of what we spent on a Luis Robert who is four years younger, with much larger questions.

Yea bad word choice. I meant the risk in the hypothetical trades that were all over twitter last night. My bad.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)

He's had a surprising number of muscle injuries for a guy so young, not to mention the ankle surgery. They need to determine if he is willing to change his training routine.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:52 PM)
ha, this is such a farce really. Clubs should be forced to pay much more for him.

Is there a reason that Ohtani did not try to come over in the last international free agent class where he could have gotten paid a mega contract?