Ohtani signs with the Angels

southsider2k5

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
I'm not going to lie, the Cubs being one of his finalists either makes him A. full of crap on his so called "requirements" or B. Alot of BS came out of those "sourced" preferences about his wants in a team. Kind of annoyed the Sox didn't even make the finals when we checked of most if not all his preferences yet the established,non west coast Cubs did.

This. I've mentioned before that some of what he's looking for may be lost in translation to English. He may also be saying the diplomatic thing interviews, something you would typically see from Asian athletes.

Given the choice of Cubs vs. Sox, Sox is in full rebuild, smaller market than Cubs, and could allow him the chance to DH. Sox definitely checks more boxes from his so-called requirements than the Cubs.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 07:53 AM)
Agreed.

Gotta admit though, I'm getting a little stressed that the Cubs are still involved.

No doubt. I’ll fully acknowledge that I’m a Cubs hater and for that reason alone it would be tough for Ohtani to land there, but my bigger fear is giving a big market team like the Cubs that already has a great young nucleus in place an asset that’s going to provide a ridiculous amount of surplus from the get-go for basically nothing. Even worse would be the fact they pulled this off while in the penalty box and got to reap all those fruits as well. While I still think Seattle & San Diego are the favorites, I’ve learned in life to never rule Theo out. Dude is as smart as they come and will find a way against all odds to keep the Cubs in the conversation.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 07:45 AM)

I guess the only answer is that he wants to be on the west coast, but the Cubs and Rangers made amazing pitches while the A's made a horrible one. I'm fully rooting for the Mariner, but really I just don't want the Cubs or Dodgers.

Edit: New favorite scenario is that he goes to the Cubs, but then MLB finds they illegally signed him so they get punished, he gets released, realizes he loves Chicago and signs with the Sox.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
I'm not going to lie, the Cubs being one of his finalists either makes him A. full of crap on his so called "requirements" or B. Alot of BS came out of those "sourced" preferences about his wants in a team. Kind of annoyed the Sox didn't even make the finals when we checked of most if not all his preferences yet the established,non west coast Cubs did.

Honestly it’s really hard for me to say. I too thought the Sox checked off a lot of boxes, but I also thought he’d only consider an AL team if he was serious about hitting full time and four of the seven finalists are NL teams. Just impossible to say what teams promised and included in their sales pitches. Clearly the rumor he was completely against joining an established team was wrong based on the Dodgers & Cubs being there, but maybe he just wants to have some variety / points of context and has them at the bottom of the list. I think we need to wait and see who he ultimately picks before assuming most of what he said was BS because there are still some teams that fit that bill.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
Honestly it’s really hard for me to say. I too thought the Sox checked off a lot of boxes, but I also thought he’d only consider an AL team if he was serious about hitting full time and four of the seven finalists are NL teams. Just impossible to say what teams promised and included in their sales pitches. Clearly the rumor he was completely against joining an established team was wrong based on the Dodgers & Cubs being there, but maybe he just wants to have some variety / points of context and has them at the bottom of the list. I think we need to wait and see who he ultimately picks before assuming most of what he said was BS because there are still some teams that fit that bill.

I wonder if "See what Maddon has done using MVP guys at multiple positions" was a key part of their sell.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
No doubt. I’ll fully acknowledge that I’m a Cubs hater and for that reason alone it would be tough for Ohtani to land there, but my bigger fear is giving a big market team like the Cubs that already has a great young nucleus in place an asset that’s going to provide a ridiculous amount of surplus from the get-go for basically nothing. Even worse would be the fact they pulled this off while in the penalty box and got to reap all those fruits as well. While I still think Seattle & San Diego are the favorites, I’ve learned in life to never rule Theo out. Dude is as smart as they come and will find a way against all odds to keep the Cubs in the conversation.

I'm okay knowing that he didn't choose the White Sox because he wanted to be with a team that had something we couldn't have -- like being on the West Coast, or having a better Japanese-American population.

But it would really hurt knowing he was willing to choose Chicago despite all that, and that the Cubs simply beat us at pitching him. Because if he's considering the Padres, you know the contention window thing doesn't matter.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm okay knowing that he didn't choose the White Sox because he wanted to be with a team that had something we couldn't have -- like being on the West Coast, or having a better Japanese-American population.

But it would really hurt knowing he was willing to choose Chicago despite all that, and that the Cubs simply beat us at pitching him. Because if he's considering the Padres, you know the contention window thing doesn't matter.

The Cubs certainly offer a compelling situation, but looking at the rest of the teams remaining it seems likely that he selects a club on the west coast.

Bob Nightengale‏Verified account

@BNightengale

14h14 hours ago

More

Several #MLB GMs now believe that the Seattle #Mariners are the clear-cut front runners for Ohtani's services and the Mariners are cautiously optimistic

It would be hard for him to get regular at-bats in the NL and succeed. Say he makes 30 starts: that's about 2-3 at bats a game. He can pinch hit once in every other game and when the NL team is the away team in an AL park, he can DH. That come out to what, 150ish at bats? If he goes to the Cubs, maybe he will split LF with Schwarber and play there 2 games between starts. Game 1: pitches. Game 2: rest day. Games 3 and 4 he plays OF until like the 7th/8th inning (enough to get 2-3 at bats). Game 5: rests. Repeat.

Edited by soxfan2014

I realize a bunch can change and there are other Ichiro stories out there that will forever change the game like he did. I also realize that the Sox probably made a great case for him to be a part of what we're doing. But there's a little bit of me that is OK with things not working out. I think we have a good thing going here and an Ohtani signing brings a couple of sizable unknowns. You never know how well a guy will adjust to the MLB game. It's not even that players aren't good enough, but it's that they have established a set of expectations, goals and routines around the Japanese game their entire lives. It's tough to make that transition--as many have tried and come up short on their mega-star vision. In my opinion, Ichiro was the most successful, Nomo had some great seasons (although--he carried a 4.24 lifetime ERA which seems human), Tanaka has shown signs of dominance...but overall, the players seem to come in under the expectations set. I don't think it's a problem with the player...I think it's a problem with our expectations.

Chances are, Ohtani will be a great player--he obviously has the skill. But many before him have had the skill as well. As Sox fans have learned so many times--even with MLB player signings...in baseball...there's no silver bullet...no sure things (OK--aside from maybe Mike Trout...but we might not ever know because I doubt he's ever traded!!). A player's past impact on the game only determines our expectations for their future impact--not their actual production. For every Jermaine Dye, Estaban Loaiza signings out there, there are 10 Adam Dunn and Adam LaRoche signings. Whoever trades for Stanton could just as likely see a .266/26/85 season as a .290/55/130 season. There's certainly some bust potential on international signings of this caliber as well. I think it's OK that we can stay our course with developing prospects and aiming for the FA players who are as close to "sure things" as you can reasonably expect. We can hold our head high that we put our best foot forward on Ohtani, but we still have plenty of work to do of our own and plenty to get excited about.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 06:16 AM)

Maybe he just didn't like bunting.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
Do clubs have any financial (other than their own) restrictions on what they can offer him? Does his money could out of the international pool?

Is that how the Cubs are able to compete? Wouldn't the White Sox be limited to begin with?

Cubs are limited to $300k too.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)

Yeah I agree. With our offers financially the same, and with the "contending team, big money team" distinction seemingly not the difference, we went head to head and lost. Hurts especially so given how stupidly that fanbase treated Fukudome.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
300K? How are the Cubs even a candidate? What can the Mariners or Giants offer?

Mariners and Giants= West Coast. Mariners: more at bats and can offer like a couple million I think. Not really sure what the Giants can offer money wise or anything else NL teams can offer unless they're willing to let him field too.

Edited by soxfan2014

Also FWIW DiPoto has been doing a public full court press for Ohtani. He has not set expectations that anything could happen, they have gone for it and are definitely creating the picture that the organization would be 100% committed to him. THat's why apart from money I think Mariners are going to get him (and west coast/city all play into that)

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 05:26 AM)
Cashman has done a great job of leveraging talent and fiscal power. I can’t think of a recent example better than Chapman for any team. Acquired for relative peanuts, traded for a mint, re-acquired months later for only money and no draft picks surrendered. Quite the trick.

I believe Hahn has done an excellent job, and is as competent as any GM in the game. We were lucky to have not had him poached before his promotion. I think we have the clearest path to success in a couple years within our division, but the Yankees will be a force as well. The key is to make the playoffs and hope that you come in hot.

For all the crap people give JR, this was a good move by him. Telling Hahn that he was the next in line to KW so he wouldn't leave, he had many opportunities. Then kicking KW upstairs and giving Hahn the position. They both still have a say in all activities but the importance of each opinion changed.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
So what will his deal look like, once he signs? Sounds like we're talking a 4 year deal for 8-10 million for the teams that do have money to spend?

It's just a signing bonus. He then goes through the 6 years of control, first 3 years are near league minimum and last 3 years are arbitration.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
So what will his deal look like, once he signs? Sounds like we're talking a 4 year deal for 8-10 million for the teams that do have money to spend?

This is my interpretation would be interested to see if anyone has any corrections

300k - 2mill signing bonus

500k minimum salary for 3 years

arbitration eligible starting year 4