2018 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Who cares about manager rules that put you in the habit of always running out plays at first. It never effects the outcome of a game.

And it's also come out that he suffered an injury early in the game, which prevented him from running 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And it's also come out that he suffered an injury early in the game, which prevented him from running 

Convenient. Read his quotes after the game. He admitted to dogging it.  Not the first time either.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Seems a bit weird he was able to hustle the last third of those plays. I think this is  move to save face. He can hit, but he is a dog.

Yeah he didn't really look injured hustling the last steps going into first. Meanwhile, Paul Goldschmidt almost ran out a ground ball to the 1B that was close enough to review.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 hours ago, fathom said:

If the injury wss that bad he should have been out of the game. It's not like he even he really just ran slowly he wss almost walking.  There's a big difference between not going all out to protect a mild injury and what he did.

22 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Sale another 200 K season. Miss that dude.

I really miss him too. Loved watching him pitch, and it is going to be sad to see him win his first Cy Young with Boston. If you're Dombrowski, you kind of have to tear up the last season of Sale's deal and give that man his money, don't you? And if he spends the majority of the remainder of his career there, you know he's going to the HOF with a Sawx hat on. :( Part of my frustration with the Sox FO is that they wasted Chris Sale and peak Quintana, and quite possibly they're wasting Rodon too. the fact that they really didn't spend to go all in again with Sale/Q/Rodon in 2015 makes me skeptical that they will spend when the time is right in the rebuild. They're so deep that they might not have to spend, but the complete ineptitude from 2014-16 makes me think they'll cry poor again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

26 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Sean Newcomb gets one out from throwing a no hitter, gets exposed for old racist homophobic tweets.

We have the #MeToo thread in the Buster, maybe we need an Old Tweets Exposed thread.

His weren't nearly as bad as Hadars.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:19 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I really miss him too. Loved watching him pitch, and it is going to be sad to see him win his first Cy Young with Boston. If you're Dombrowski, you kind of have to tear up the last season of Sale's deal and give that man his money, don't you? And if he spends the majority of the remainder of his career there, you know he's going to the HOF with a Sawx hat on. :( Part of my frustration with the Sox FO is that they wasted Chris Sale and peak Quintana, and quite possibly they're wasting Rodon too. the fact that they really didn't spend to go all in again with Sale/Q/Rodon in 2015 makes me skeptical that they will spend when the time is right in the rebuild. They're so deep that they might not have to spend, but the complete ineptitude from 2014-16 makes me think they'll cry poor again. 

They're way over the tax line this year and they're going into the multi-year repeater penalties next year. I think they need a serious playoff run before they can talk about committing that kind of money to Sale. They still have all their other guys about to hit arbitration or free agency too.

What exactly could the White Sox have done in 2015 that would have put that team even into the discussion as one of the better teams in baseball? They had virtually no assets to trade, that's why 2 straight offseasons they had to trade away scraps and eventually gave up and traded an international signing they hadn't seen. Take a look at the free agents that signed that year and tell me where these difference makers are. James Shields, Pablo Sandoval, Melky Cabrera, Chase Headley, Russell Martin, Hanley Ramirez? I guess Martin hasn't been bad, but I'm sure everyone's thrilled about that extra $25 million remaining on his deal when he put up a .637 OPS so far this year.

The only real guys out of that offseason who have made a difference for teams have been Lester, Max Scherzer, and Nelson Cruz. Fine, happening to sign those 2 guys and no one else might have actually pushed that team above .500, I'll grant that, but you can't just expect to only sign guys who work out when the list is that freaking bad.

Our biggest discussion that offseason was whether or not to sign Victor Martinez to DH for a $70 million-ish deal to beat out the Tigers, with one unnamed poster saying that he had learned more about hitting and was sure to put up dominant numbers into his late 30s. In 2015 he got hurt and put up a .667 OPS, and he's going to be worth something like -4 WAR over the duration of that contract. Signing him would have been a worse signing than signing LaRoche.

The problem is not that the White Sox did not go all in, the problem is that the White Sox were a low 70s win team based on how much talent they had, and their GM deluded himself into believing they weren't. Their system was pathetic and it was doing nothing to support their big league roster, so the free agent market was the only way they could have gotten better, and the free agent market is a disastrous way to try to build an entire team. You can't just magically hope that all your signings are going to work, instead you have to assume most of them are going to flop. They did everything they could have reasonably done and wound up mid-70s after a huge investment. That was how any version of that plan was going to wind up; they could easily have spent a ton more and wound up equally bad or worse.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2018 at 5:19 PM, Jack Parkman said:

The complete ineptitude from 2014-2016? What about 2009-2013? It's all been the same but you cant fire the owner who prioritizes loyalty, so we just wear our Sox gear and hope they finally figure it out.

4 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The complete ineptitude from 2014-2016? What about 2009-2013? It's all been the same but you cant fire the owner who prioritizes loyalty, so we just wear our Sox gear and hope they finally figure it out.

I maintain they had two chances to rebuild much earlier, the winter of 2009-10 and 10-11. They went for it both times and got burned. Imagine if they had a bunch of other players to build around Chris Sale. Who knows if they still end up with Quintana in that case, but he really doesn't matter. They should have cashed in on players in the 2009-10 offseason and again the following one. It's ancient history though and really doesn't matter anymore. What's done is done. 

On 7/29/2018 at 9:15 PM, LittleHurt05 said:

Trea Turner has been a known prospect for a while, how has his agent not had his social media cleansed yet? Major fail by agents yet again

It makes me think that some people have had these dug up for years and are just waiting for a certain time to expose them.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

It makes me think that some people have had these dug up for years and are just waiting for a certain time to expose them.  

I can tell you from firsthand knowledge that this is true. I am aware of several tweets that have been deleted by White Sox prospects/players over the years that would've been unearthed lately. Many are still up, actually