Tim Anderson has improved defensively

Jose Abreu

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How is one booted grounder and 2 bad  throws of the mental variety?

Maybe mental isn’t the correct term.  Don’t you think both were routine plays which a regular MLB shortstop should make? Anderson while still a young player seems to make quite a few of those. What should we call those then? The last throw in the ninth he should have stuck in his back pocket.

2 minutes ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

Maybe mental isn’t the correct term.  Don’t you think both were routine plays which a regular MLB shortstop should make? Anderson while still a young player seems to make quite a few of those. What should we call those then? The last throw in the ninth he should have stuck in his back pocket.

The first error wasn't awful. Throw was slightly high but wasn't exactly the easiest play and Castellanos got down the line quickly.  With that said, his throws have been off all year. He's spiked a ton of throws and Jose has saved him a ton of errors.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

The first error wasn't awful. Throw was slightly high but wasn't exactly the easiest play and Castellanos got down the line quickly.  With that said, his throws have been off all year. He's spiked a ton of throws and Jose has saved him a ton of errors.

The thing about this is that you have no idea how many times he's intentionally bouncing balls. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

They are physical errors. More and more reps. I have no idea if his thumb has anything to do with it

It was always a question whether he could remain a SS. Range obviously isn't an issue. Maybe throwing accurately and picking up grounders as is to be expected from an MLB SS is.

I didn't see the game yesterday.  He seemed to be doing pretty well with the glove after a tough start. Sometimes errors just happen, and double errors are usually the result of trying to make something out of nothing to make up for the first gaffe.

The Sox have all the time in the world for him. We will l ow whether or not he should be a SS by the time they are ready to won.

I don’t think anyone (scout, etc.) ever projected a 30/30 season out of Anderson until this past week.

20/20, sure...for whatever reason, though, it seems his interest in stealing bases has picked up this year.  Probably the coaching staff  pointing out his success rate and encouraging him to run more frequently/be more aggressive. 

25 homers would be pretty crazy to me, but it’s at least a realistic possibility now.

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's a meta joke based on an old debate. 

No worries 

My only point is Anderson makes errors on plays which are mostly routine for MLB shortstop. I know there’s always going to be human physical errors. Sometimes it appears he doesn’t keep his head down on grounders, or he forces throws he would be better off just not making. If he can eliminate those he’ll be even better obviously. 

4 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Tim Anderson is currently rated as the 12th best defensive SS in the game according to fangraphs.  He is 10th offensively.  With players shuffling in and out, Tim Anderson is currently a top 10 SS.  

And the arrow is pointing up.  I still can’t believe he has a 8.3% BB rate this year.  If he can actually learn to be a bit more patient, the sky is the limit with this kid IMO.  Having him & Moncada locking down the middle infield for the next 5 years is absolutely huge for the rebuild.

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Tim Anderson is currently rated as the 12th best defensive SS in the game according to fangraphs.  He is 10th offensively.  With players shuffling in and out, Tim Anderson is currently a top 10 SS.  

And he has the potential to even higher than that.

What is wrong with his thumb ? Why is he playing a batting , catching , throwing game with the thumb on his best hand injured , its not like we can't do without him at the moment .

41 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Didn't he start baseball late in life as well? I could be mixing him up with someone else.

Yes, didn't play until his Junior year of HS.  Even went to a JuCo after that, and barely played at all.  He got less ABs in 3 years of JuCo, than Gordon Beckham got his last year at Georgia,

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes, didn't play until his Junior year of HS.  Even went to a JuCo after that, and barely played at all.  He got less ABs in 3 years of JuCo, than Gordon Beckham got his last year at Georgia,

Thank you.

He is actually developing really well considering this. A year or two more playing baseball at this level will really show in his play