Do the White Sox have too much starting pitching?

Dam8610

On 6/16/2018 at 12:26 PM, soxfan49 said:

Do yourself a favor and stop watching Kaplan's show. The guy is a goof, and his panelists are a joke. Bernfield and Goc have as much knowledge as the keyboard I'm typing on.

The best part was them discussing Moncada's strikeouts...as if the almighty Kris Bryant wasn't a strikeout machine early on. GMAB

This is correct. Why ANY White Sox fan would ever give Kaplan more than a side eyed glance and a hearty chuckle is beyond me. He's a self serving Cubs HOMER and has never been able to talk about the Sox in any sort of neutral way or without segueing to something about the Cubs (even when they were trash). 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gerrit Cole would really make the pitching so much less of an issue.

Cole-Giolito-Kopech-Cease-Lopez is very formidable, with Rodon perhaps joining the mix later in 2019.  I personally would sign a 1 year vet to for the 5th spot and start Kopech in AAA next year to knock off the rust.

Anyone know how much time he'd have to spend in AAA in order to get back that year they blew for a few starts in 2018?  I would guess he'd need to be there until like mid-June...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cole-Giolito-Kopech-Cease-Lopez is very formidable, with Rodon perhaps joining the mix later in 2019.  I personally would sign a 1 year vet to for the 5th spot and start Kopech in AAA next year to knock off the rust.

Anyone know how much time he'd have to spend in AAA in order to get back that year they blew for a few starts in 2018?  I would guess he'd need to be there until like mid-June...

Roughly 45 days. June 1 would get the year back. I think sending Kopech down to work off the rust is completely justifiable. As long as they bring him up id he's pitching well on 6/1/2020  they'll get the extra year back and it would probably do him a service. 

I'm not sure we can count on Dunning anymore because best case scenario he makes his MLB debut at age 26 now. I don't see how they're going to bring him up at all next year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 6/23/2018 at 11:20 PM, Flash Tizzle said:

It's not a blow.....as long as no other starting pitcher experiences any significant setback. 

Kopech, Dunning and Rodon will come back stronger than ever.  Glad it was this year and not later.  You never have enough pitching.  Keep stockpiling.

59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would be on board with Cole or Bumgardner but both guys are pipedreams. 

What is biggest contract that JR has ever given a pitcher? Was it the Danks extension? 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Roughly 45 days. June 1 would get the year back. I think sending Kopech down to work off the rust is completely justifiable. As long as they bring him up id he's pitching well on 6/1/2020  they'll get the extra year back and it would probably do him a service. 

I'm not sure we can count on Dunning anymore because best case scenario he makes his MLB debut at age 26 now. I don't see how they're going to bring him up at all next year. 

You can make your debut at age 26 and still have a productive career. It may be later than you would hope but that doesn't mean you just cross him off completely. 

4 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

You can make your debut at age 26 and still have a productive career. It may be later than you would hope but that doesn't mean you just cross him off completely. 

Yeah, he's still a prospect but he's an older one. If he has any growing pains it kills his chances though. He needs to come up and pitch well right away. He has zero margin for error. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, he's still a prospect but he's an older one. If he has any growing pains it kills his chances though. He needs to come up and pitch well right away. He has zero margin for error. 

This is completely false.  He hasn't even been added to the 40 man yet (will need to be added this December).  He has all sorts of time to come back from this.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Kopech, Dunning and Rodon will come back stronger than ever.  Glad it was this year and not later.  You never have enough pitching.  Keep stockpiling.

There are tons of examples of pitchers coming back stronger and better than they were before the TJ surgery.  

I wonder if they had to change anything in their mechanics, pitch selection, etc. to prevent a recurrence of the injury that caused their problems in the first place.  Or do they go back to what they were doing before?

I draw the analogy of a person needing heart bypass surgery because of years of eating greasy foods.  That person obviously can't continue with that type of diet after his surgery or he'll be right back on the table.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Maybe although in Rodon's case he'll probably hurt something else given his track record. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, poppysox said:

Glad you are so confident of that as they sit on the shelf healing. Why are you so confident of this? PTATC are modern pitchers guaranteed to be stronger than ever, better than ever after arm surgeries?

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Glad you are so confident of that as they sit on the shelf healing. Why are you so confident of this? PTATC are modern pitchers guaranteed to be stronger than ever, better than ever after arm surgeries?

Tommy John pitched for the White Sox.  We invented what has now become routine surgery for pitchers.  Currently our best pitcher has had TJ surgery and is good as new.  On a personal note...I had rotator cuff surgery for 2 1/2 tears and my shoulder is good as new.  These types of surgery are torture but you do come through very well.

Prior to TJ surgery a torn UCL  was a 100% career ender.  I think the current stats are about 85% return though I am not sure if that is to their previous success rate or just back to MLB for some time.  So 15% don't make it back.  We have over six TJ guys so odds are one or more is toast statistically.  The comment some come back stronger makes sense due to some fixing/rebuilding mechanics or no longer having a elbow that may at times give you twinges/pain you didn't really report or were managing.

Wow, looked back at the original post.  Of 13 pitchers identified, 6 are currently pitching in our organization.  Gio and Cease doing well, Lopez, Fulmer, Hansen, Guerrero all struggling. Three, Kopech, Dunning, and Rodon out for the season.  Two, Stephens and Clarkin are out of the organization in non trades so we gained nothing for them.  So as everyone pretty much agreed, You can't have to much pitching!

Poor Carlos Rodon probably needed TJS a long time ago but that front office couldn't take hit of another first round failure.

I'm absolutely convinced the way Kopech trained, Boston knew he was a TJS waiting to happen.

Edited by GradMc

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

Tommy John pitched for the White Sox.  We invented what has now become routine surgery for pitchers.  Currently our best pitcher has had TJ surgery and is good as new.  On a personal note...I had rotator cuff surgery for 2 1/2 tears and my shoulder is good as new.  These types of surgery are torture but you do come through very well.

Glad you are doing well but you also weren't using that shoulder to try to throw a ball 95 MPH I'll wager.