White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

2 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

The reason everyone is saying there’s 0% chance he won’t sign with the Sox is because of the $$$ or he doesn’t want to be on a rebuilding team. “Recruiting” is complete nonsense. 

Well if the Sox are putting on a recruiting pitch they must not believe their chance is 0%. 

And again, if you are trying to get someone to sign with your team, why would you not use every single advantage you have? Why would you not try and recruit? 

Seems negligent not to. So kind of strange you think the Sox shouldnt do their best to try, even if they dont succeed. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

You're just incredibly misinformed on how sports works. The Cubs do the same practice, just like any other team. 

You appeal to what the player and their family may be interested in. It's really simple. 

No the Sox shouldnt do that. They should just send a telegram saying "here is our offer", while all of the other teams wine and dine Harper, 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Well if the Sox are putting on a recruiting pitch they must not believe their chance is 0%. 

And again, if you are trying to get someone to sign with your team, why would you not use every single advantage you have? Why would you not try and recruit? 

Seems negligent not to. So kind of strange you think the Sox shouldnt do their best to try, even if they dont succeed. 

Do you really think putting his name up at the United Center and sticking a jersey on a statue of Michael Jordan means anything to these guys? If you want Harper on the Sox then pay him what he wants. 

Harper sits down at the table with Reinsdorf, Williams, and Hahn and says to them, “ you know my BFF plays for the Cubs, right?” Hahn response back is, “ but did you see your jersey on the Jordan statue, and name at the United Center?” Big f* cking deal. Give him the cash!

Just now, DH in the NL said:

Do you really think putting his name up at the United Center and sticking a jersey on a statue of Michael Jordan means anything to these guys? If you want Harper on the Sox then pay him what he wants. 

Harper sits down at the table with Reinsdorf, Williams, and Hahn and says to them, “ you know my BFF plays for the Cubs, right?” Hahn response back is, “ but did you see your jersey on the Jordan statue, and name at the United Center?” Big f* cking deal. Give him the cash!

Do I think it means something to show him that they are going to do everything in their power to maximize his exposure and make him the most money possible through endorsements etc? Yes.

Do I think it means something that they show Harper how important he is and that they will pull out all the stops for him? Yes

Do I think that Harper is going to bring up Bryant in a meeting? Unlikely.

Im glad you arent part of the team who is trying to get Harper to come to the Sox. Because while at the end of the day money is likely what makes the difference, I wouldnt want to be the guy who didnt put my best foot forward and find out that another team got Harper because they made a better pitch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

In reality it doesn't mean anything without the $$$$ attached to it but what harm is there in it?  Everyone wants their ego stroked.

Yeah I honestly don't see the appeal of a pitch that includes putting his jersey on the Jordan statue and his name on the digital banners. 

I mean, I guess it would be kind of cool if I was Bryce, but a little over the top. Sox looking for that wow factor? Or are they filming an introduction video? A fan can dream.. 😂

10 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Maybe. Maybe not. I never met Harper. And sure, if the money isn't right, it's meaningless. But other teams are doing it, so how would it look if the Sox said, you don't care about that, so we didn't bother? It isn't going to change their money offer. Maybe he is a Bulls fan. Maybe he loves Michael Jordan. If so, I bet they have MJ give him a message. It doesn't hurt the White Sox position. It might help. It's a small part of their pitch. 

I assume you have a resume. Do you know that depending on the employer, most can give a shit about most of it? But you have it on there anyway. Why? Because there is the possibiltiy it could matter in some small way. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

This is the weirdest fucking thing ever to be angry about.

• Like 7