Sox in on "everyone"

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Because we are at least two years away and he only has three years control remaining. His years of control are valuable probably more valuable then him proving he can stay healthy.

Paxton return is discouraging but the SP market is awful. There might never be a better time to cash in and let some other team absorb all the risk.

Why would a team absorb all the risk and give us anything resembling his often-stated “potential” value?

Dumping Avi and Rodon basically would require the front office being called to the carpet on two more talent misjudgments.  

If Fathom’s right, between the work ethic, Ptac’s concerns about the repeatability of his delivery and the Boras Factor, it’s yet another blown first round draft pick (especially at 1-3) by the Sox.  Someone missed out on two pretty significant red flags.

Might as well turn him into Andrew Miller.  He’d arguably have more value...except he’s not good at holding runners or limiting walks.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would a team absorb all the risk and give us anything resembling his often-stated “potential” value?

Dumping Avi and Rodon basically would require the front office being called to the carpet on two more talent misjudgments.  

If Fathom’s right, between the work ethic, Ptac’s concerns about the repeatability of his delivery and the Boras Factor, it’s yet another blown first round draft pick (especially at 1-3) by the Sox.  Someone missed out on two pretty significant red flags.

Might as well turn him into Andrew Miller.  He’d arguably have more value...except he’s not good at holding runners or limiting walks.

There was nothing wrong with the pick, no matter what happens.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Because the alternative is Corbin or Keuchel

If I was a fan of another team the last thing I would want is the FO giving big money to a flash in the pan like Corbin who doesn't even have dominating stuff or signing a 32 year old Keuchel to 4-5 year deal when he can barely throw 90 now.

I'd rather take my chances on a cheap cost controlled guy like Rodon even if I had to give up prospects. What's the alternative trade your farm for Thor? There is a reason why the Mets and Indians are sniffing around with their SP they see the FA market.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

Because the alternative is Corbin or Keuchel

If I was a fan of another team the last thing I would want is the FO giving big money to a flash in the pan like Corbin who doesn't even have dominating stuff or signing a 32 year old Keuchel to 4-5 year deal when he can barely throw 90 now.

I'd rather take my chances on a cheap cost controlled guy like Rodon even if I had to give up prospects. What's the alternative trade your farm for Thor? There is a reason why the Mets and Indians are sniffing around with their SP they see the FA market.

It’s more the Indians still having at least $50+ million in bad contracts...that’s the only way to create any payroll flexibility whatsoever, to deal a starter or Gomes in a package.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Anderson was a good pick

Except Yolmer SANCHEZ has outproduced his fWAR over the last two seasons.

Throw out their outlier seasons in the last three, you have a 4.0 (TA) versus 3.9 total over two “peak” years.  Nobody is clamoring to see Yolmer start for another season, well, almost nobody.

2 is more or less “okay” for SS, but he still needs to bump it up to 2.5-3.0 to really be a significant positive contributor.

Edited by caulfield12

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would they trade Rodon now, before he’s proven that his velocity is back and that he’s 100% healthy for another 3-4 months?

What’s the rush?  What do the Sox know that everyone else doesn’t?

I would be tremendously suspicious as a rival GM if Hahn actually tried to push him this offseason.  Put another way, when’s the last time a team traded a young, still cost-controlled pitcher from the LH side with his stuff?

Well, other than Chris Sale...I guess the deals for Archer and Cole, but both those guys were more established than Rodon.

I'm pretty sure it happened like 10 days ago.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

This is just agents playing games with the media. They'll use the Whitesox as a darkhorse to drive up the prices of their clients.

If Hahn is smart he will only sign veterans to shortterm deals and continue to look to sell. This team is nowhere close to being ready. Rodon and Abreu should both be moved. Omar Narvaez should be looked at as well

Agents have made a living suckering desperate GM's and teams fans that you can turn around a 100 loss team via FA. You can't unless you have payrolls like the Dodgers, Sox, and Yankees. This team has too many holes at too many positions to be able to fix them via FA.

Not true at all.  Our biggest problem is our young talent hasn’t taken that next step yet.  We need to get more out of Moncada, Anderson, Rodon, Lopez, & Giolito.  Those five guys and Jimenez are key for this team to take massive leap next year.  Add a whale and another high end piece and we could easily fill the other holes on the roster with league average veterans.  But it’s all for naught if you don’t believe in the young talent currently on the roster.

• Thanks 1

I’m starting to believe the Sox are putting all their eggs into the Machado and Harper baskets. It was extremely hot in the White Sox rumor mill but lately m It has been suspiciously quiet on the Sox front and you’d think If their plan was to do something different, you’d see them making some moves. They have done nothing to indicate what their plan will be this winter. So I believe they are putting a full court press on getting Harper or Machado.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I’m starting to believe the Sox are putting all their eggs into the Machado and Harper baskets. It was extremely hot in the White Sox rumor mill but lately m It has been suspiciously quiet on the Sox front and you’d think If their plan was to do something different, you’d see them making some moves. They have done nothing to indicate what their plan will be this winter. So I believe they are putting a full court press on getting Harper or Machado.

Agreed, and IMO Machado is target 1a, 1b, 1c, etc

• Like 1

On the podcast tonight Hahn seemed to back off on the “in on everyone” talk. He said the team isn’t looking for stop-gap measures and is keeping the long term approach. This doesn’t rule out premium long term deals ( think Harper, Machado). It might rule out types like Adam Jones, Markakis, etc. 

1 hour ago, Baker said:

On the podcast tonight Hahn seemed to back off on the “in on everyone” talk. He said the team isn’t looking for stop-gap measures and is keeping the long term approach. This doesn’t rule out premium long term deals ( think Harper, Machado). It might rule out types like Adam Jones, Markakis, etc. 

We can talk stop gaps if we can land a whale,  otherwise stick to the plan.

1 hour ago, Baker said:

Just finished listening....if Hahn was being honest, then guys like Nelson Cruz aren’t on the radar.  It’s always an interesting dynamic when it’s Chuck and McGuffey or Chuck and Vinnie Duber.  Chuck and Guff always think they’re going to be aggressive and Duber is the exact opposite (not that he does a bad job).  

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just finished listening....if Hahn was being honest, then guys like Nelson Cruz aren’t on the radar.  It’s always an interesting dynamic when it’s Chuck and McGuffey or Chuck and Vinnie Duber.  Chuck and Guff always think they’re going to be aggressive and Duber is the exact opposite (not that he does a bad job).  

I'm not a fan of Duber. I admittedly do not listen to the podcasts but just based on articles, Duber seems even more pessimistic than Fegan, who is already sometimes tough for me to tolerate

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

So if the Sox do sign Nelson Cruz, what do they do with Palka?  

Either he replaces Garcia and they hope his defense improves or they Davidson him. He sure seemed worth a shot at the DH spot to me and god am I sick of the White Sox spending money at that position after the last decade.

21 hours ago, Baker said:

Good.  Signing someone like Jones or Markakis would be insane.