Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

According to fangraphs Harper was the 34th best position player in baseball over the last three years.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=21,d&page=1_50

400 million seems like a lot for a guy ranked just ahead of Daniel Murphy.

Perks of going to free agency at 26 and not 32.

9 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

According to fangraphs Harper was the 34th best position player in baseball over the last three years.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=21,d&page=1_50

400 million seems like a lot for a guy ranked just ahead of Daniel Murphy.

That's even worse than the stats indicated, which I provided in that post showing his ranking last year, in various offensive categories. The fact that Fangraphs' ranking is for the last 3 years is troubling. The question is; How much better than that can we realistically expect from him? 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I feel like my opinion changes every hour, but I am becoming more and more worried about the Dodgers. They don’t mind spending. They seem willing to trade guys. We also haven’t really heard much about the Dodgers and their pursuit, making me feel like they’re just ready to pounce. LA seems like the favorite to me as of right now.

15 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That's even worse than the stats indicated, which I provided in that post showing his ranking last year, in various offensive categories. The fact that Fangraphs' ranking is for the last 3 years is troubling. The question is; How much better than that can we realistically expect from him? 

The problem is his defense. If he already sucks at 25 can we realistically expect his to continue to play the field into his 30's? I mean people are like just throw him at DH do we really want a 40 million dollar DH for the last 4-5 years of his deal?

People are acting like signing Harper isn't a win now move but in alot of ways it is. Actually while I don't want Machado either the fit is better because he plays a position we don't have a lot of minor league depth and he more importantly actually plays it well. The issue with him is his bat is more questionable that and he has some character concerns.

But I think given the choice I'd choose Machado.

6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Harper will sign this week.

I'm hearing from my sources it may take longer. Don't take it to the bank but I heard from someone who knows somebody who knows somebody who drove Kenny Williams secretary that she heard from Hahns secretary that Boras wants to drag this out.

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Beginning to think we’re being used to drive the price up.

The White Sox tend to always be the favorites in doing that, however we will see how things play out I’m not going to freak out one way or another until I hear a signing is imminent 

21 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Harper will sign this week.

Boras and Lozano are going to play a huge game of chicken. Neither wants to have egg on their face getting the lesser deal for their client. I'll be stunned if either signs before January 20th. We're still 4-6 weeks away from a resolution, imo

Edited by Jack Parkman

Admittedly, I'm not very knowledgeable about WAR, so let me put this in "old school" baseball stats. If Harper cannot realistically be expected to hit .275 with an OBP of .400 + and a Slugging % of 500+, with 35 to 40 doubles and homers, while driving in 100+ runs, he is not worth the kind of money that we are anticipating. Oh, and he needs to play at least close to an average corner outfield. Isn't that reasonable? If he can do that for the first 5 years of the contract, and they give him an opt out, after 5 years, that might make him worth it. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Admittedly, I'm not very knowledgeable about WAR, so let me put this in "old school" baseball stats. If Harper cannot realistically be expected to hit .275 with an OBP of .400 + and a Slugging % of 500+, with 35 to 40 doubles and homers, while driving in 100+ runs, he is not worth the kind of money that we are anticipating. Oh, and he needs to play at least close to an average corner outfield. Isn't that reasonable? If he can do that for the first 5 years of the contract, and they give him an opt out, after 5 years, that might make him worth it. 

on the field, he's not worth the money he's going to get IMO

• Haha 1

• bmags locked this topic