Sox trade for Yonder Alonso; Alex Call to CLE

Heads22

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think everyone's frown will turn upside down if manny signs here.  Right now people are just anxiety ridden because they don't know 

Likewise, I think any of us that are happy about the deal will immediately sour if he doesn't decide to sign here.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Of course, all of that was inferred. My point was that, providing Machado signs and plays third, the entire lineup looks fine, even with Alonso in it, about which many here seem to be very unhappy.

Oh I understand that  but i wanted to sell it a bit more than was inferred because the whining about Alonso is off the charts absurd when if you really think about it could end up in a chain reaction like this. Alonso=Machado=Harper =OMFG !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, Real said:

something tells me Hahn wouldn't have done this unless he knew something.  Guessing Machado comes here, gun to my head

Yep.  I mean look at what we know...something is causing everyone to think we’re “leading candidate” to sign both these guys.  That dialog doesn’t just fabricate itself.  Personally, dissecting our FO comments, I believe they are going for both—and that’s why the insiders are saying we’re leading candidate for Harper and leading candidate for Machado.

Also...it seems as though there are 2 players for these guys.  Sox and Phillies.  Maybe 1 goes to either team, maybe both come here.  I think, at the moment at least, the only way we don’t end up with 1 is if they both go to Philly.  

44 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Yep.  I mean look at what we know...something is causing everyone to think we’re “leading candidate” to sign both these guys.  That dialog doesn’t just fabricate itself.  Personally, dissecting our FO comments, I believe they are going for both—and that’s why the insiders are saying we’re leading candidate for Harper and leading candidate for Machado.

Also...it seems as though there are 2 players for these guys.  Sox and Phillies.  Maybe 1 goes to either team, maybe both come here.  I think, at the moment at least, the only way we don’t end up with 1 is if they both go to Philly.  

I don't believe that "everyone" thinks that.  There are a lot of articles stating that we are in, but nothing I've read actually predicts us to get either.

I don't mind the deal, but I do wonder what some of our posters who have been positive or quiet about this deal, the ones who stress age and amount of money a player makes is important, truly thinks about this deal?

Yonder is old by board preference standards (turns 32 in April). And frankly, his stats? Is there any doubt the younger, lower paid Palka and Davidson given these same amount of at bats in a plattoon/DH could do as well or better than Alonso? I believe they could do as well as an every-day Alonso.

That said ... it is a great move for an organization trying to sign Manny. It's obvious to me this will help greatly in trying to land Manny. Of course you'd think he wants to play baseball with his brother in law. Prescient move by Hahn in that regard.

I would like to hear from those who thought Avi was overpaid and too old for the rebuild and all that. Take Manny out of the equation and I would think most of the Soxtalk regulars should be against this trade. So are you for the deal greatly because the Sox could and maybe will get Manny as a byproduct of it? If Manny like George Bailey had never been born would you still like this deal?? Speak up please. 

For the record ... I credit Hahn for thinking outside the box here but remember I worshiped Davidson and Avi and they are gone.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I don't mind the deal, but I do wonder what some of our posters who have been positive or quiet about this deal, the ones who stress age and amount of money a player makes is important, truly thinks about this deal?

Yonder is old by board preference standards (turns 32 in April). And frankly, his stats? Is there any doubt the younger, lower paid Palka and Davidson given these same amount of at bats in a plattoon/DH could do as well or better than Alonso? I believe they could do as well as an every-day Alonso.

That said ... it is a great move for an organization trying to sign Manny. It's obvious to me this will help greatly in trying to land Manny. Of course you'd think he wants to play baseball with his brother in law. Prescient move by Hahn in that regard.

I would like to hear from those who thought Avi was overpaid and too old for the rebuild and all that. Take Manny out of the equation and I would think most of the Soxtalk regulars should be against this trade. So are you for the deal greatly because the Sox could and maybe will get Manny as a byproduct of it? If Manny like George Bailey had never been born would you still like this deal?? Speak up please. 

For the record ... I credit Hahn for thinking outside the box here but remember I worshiped Davidson and Avi and they are gone.

We didn't give up anything, and he's a real ballplayer who plays good defense. He's not taking a position away from any young prospects, and he provides a great clubhouse presence (which the cubs showed can be very important). Even if we don't get machado after this move, it's not a terrible move by any means. Just kind of meh

5 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

We didn't give up anything, and he's a real ballplayer who plays good defense. He's not taking a position away from any young prospects, and he provides a great clubhouse presence (which the cubs showed can be very important). Even if we don't get machado after this move, it's not a terrible move by any means. Just kind of meh

Why do you think he plays good defense?

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah which is it? I've seen comments saying both good and bad over last day.

Fangraphs has him negative every year of his career, and in 2017, they had Abreu better.

He is an average bat, weak defender, who just happens to be Manny Machado’s brother in law. The last fact is the one they traded for.

• Like 1

If you don't get Machado, Alanso could still have value.  You probably platoon him as last year he struggled vs LHP and it may avoid his option triggering.  However, his ops was around .780 vs rhp in 2018 and about .900 in 2017.  If he is over .800, and not likely to trigger his option,  you could probably flip him for something useful at the deadline.

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Fangraphs has him negative every year of his career, and in 2017, they had Abreu better.

He is an average bat, weak defender, who just happens to be Manny Machado’s brother in law. The last fact is the one they traded for.

I think you’re looking at his defensive value which is negative because of the 1B positional adjustment.  His UZR/150 has been positive all but one year and he has a reputation of being a pretty good defensive 1B from what I recall.

Even if the Sox basically stand pat the rest of the offseason, there’s still plenty of at bats for Alonso. Requires Palka to play the outfield, but at 26 years old, probably best to give him a shot as an everyday OF if the Sox are going into the season with another 90+ loss team, which the current roster probably is.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Even if the Sox basically stand pat the rest of the offseason, there’s still plenty of at bats for Alonso. Requires Palka to play the outfield, but at 26 years old, probably best to give him a shot as an everyday OF if the Sox are going into the season with another 90+ loss team, which the current roster probably is.

100% agreed.

4 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

True.. Delmonico a back up then?? Sounds better. So Palka LF and Eloy RF 

Delmonico would probably go down to Charlotte in that case as we won't have enough roster spots available for people and Delmonico is superfluous if Palka is playing the same position and hitting from the LH side. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvilJester99 said:

True.. Delmonico a back up then?? Sounds better. So Palka LF and Eloy RF 

Right now, we’re probably looking at Jimenez in LF, Engel in CF, & Palka in RF with Leury as a backup in some capacity (4th OF or UT) and Nicky down in AAA.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they add some cheap vet to the mix either.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

If you don't get Machado, Alanso could still have value.  You probably platoon him as last year he struggled vs LHP and it may avoid his option triggering.  However, his ops was around .780 vs rhp in 2018 and about .900 in 2017.  If he is over .800, and not likely to trigger his option,  you could probably flip him for something useful at the deadline.

Paying $9 million for Alonso and $18 million for Abreu to fill the 1b/part time DH positions on a 70-some win team while helping out the Cleveland team would very much be a perfect fit for the White Sox of the past decade. 

Just gotta hope this really works. 

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Right now, we’re probably looking at Jimenez in LF, Engel in CF, & Palka in RF with Leury as a backup in some capacity (4th OF or UT) and Nicky down in AAA.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they add some cheap vet to the mix either.

Yeah you gotta expect a CarGo, Span or Granderson type vet pickup for sure.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Paying $9 million for Alonso and $18 million for Abreu to fill the 1b/part time DH positions on a 70-some win team while helping out the Cleveland team would very much be a perfect fit for the White Sox of the past decade. 

Just gotta hope this really works. 

Cleveland is drowning and one bad season from going full rebuild. They are trying to retool on the fly. Still much better pitching than the Sox . Add one or both whales  Add Kopech Cease maybe Dunning sign Sale to starting staff and Sox quickly on the rise while Cleveland sinks.

57 minutes ago, Saufley said:

What's the thought on Brantley?

I'd love it personally (we need more guys with his contact abilities) but I dunno if they'd wanna spend the money if they lose out on the big fish?  Depends on what they wanna do with Palka though, cuz Brantley would push him out of the current projection, at least after Eloy is ready to come up.  I would say if they got Machado I'd love a Brantley addition to go with him.

• Tony unpinned this topic