Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well seems pretty obvious that Manny is going to go first.  I don't see much reason for him to drag this on any further unless there are more teams legitimately in the running than the Sox, Phillies and Yankees.  Only way I see this dragging on is if if the best offers are in the $250M-$270M range right now and teams aren't willing to negotiate against themselves quite yet.  

By all indications, Harper is not an option for the Yankees.  Apparently Harper does not want to go to Philly.  The Cubs and Dodgers are out unless they move a shit load of money the next few weeks.  Who else is there?  Obviously the line of suitors would be long if his price dropped significantly, but just assume he's getting something north of $325M over 10 years...who else is there?  

I think if the Sox get MM secured in the next week, the heat really goes up on the Cubs and Dodgers to try to move money, and if they can't, I think the Sox are in a fantastic position to get both IF JR is really willing to give out $700M to 2 players in one offseason.  

Braves, maybe?

I really wonder if the position is a deciding factor and if the Sox would move Anderson to accommodate him. If they let him play short, have his brother-in-law and offer 35-37 mil I have a hard time seeing him going somewhere else. 

Edited by Sockin

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

Even if the Yankees/Dodgers/Cubs interest is overblown and the money isn’t there, I don’t see how there’s any way the Phillies let the Sox get both. 

Nothing they can do about it. Nicky Delmonico is our Dwyane Wade. They're both signing here. It'll be the Big 2.25.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't really want Machado if he insists on playing shortstop?

Probably not. He's a top 3B defensively, but nothing special at short (although I suppose he could improve there with more play). But considering how much he whined about wanting to play SS and the fact that he forced that move in a contract year, I just assume that any team which signs him is going to do so knowing he's the everyday SS. Unless he *really* wants to go to the Yankees and signs there after being told Gregorious is the everyday DD once he's healthy, I don't think he's signing anywhere to be 3B.

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

Probably not. He's a top 3B defensively, but nothing special at short (although I suppose he could improve there with more play). But considering how much he whined about wanting to play SS and the fact that he forced that move in a contract year, I just assume that any team which signs him is going to do so knowing he's the everyday SS. Unless he *really* wants to go to the Yankees and signs there after being told Gregorious is the everyday DD once he's healthy, I don't think he's signing anywhere to be 3B.

I think it was more he wanted to say can be a SS therefor make SS money going into his contract year. I do think he would prefer to play SS but if he was paid more to play 3b he would play there.

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

How bad was he there last year?  I know the simple answer is bad but I don't know the advanced stats.  His fielding percentage looks fine.  But bad range? 

From what I have seen, he improved on defense when he went to the Dodgers. I think they positioned him differently.  I believe I read this on The Athletic.

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is literally the worst write-up ever.  Like he actually uses a random Stroman tweet for some reason even though Marcus said it was simply speculation.  That’s literally the Tribune article I’m ever reading.

I quit reading the cubune years ago!

To me, the apprehension in regards to signing Machado to play SS is more about having to shift Tim Anderson to some other position than anything else. Don't get me wrong, by no means should TA7 prevent the Sox from going after Machado, but Anderson improved significantly defensively towards the end of last year. Signing Machado would force the Sox to either move Anderson to 2B, which would displace Moncada, or CF where he has no experience...and the Sox would still have no answer at 3B.

13 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I think it was more he wanted to say can be a SS therefor make SS money going into his contract year. I do think he would prefer to play SS but if he was paid more to play 3b he would play there.

Maybe that's the case, but he said repeatedly that he loves playing SS and that's where he always wanted to play. The Orioles were horrible last year, but he still ruffled a lot of feathers around MLB for demanding a position change.

16 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

To me, this is either a piece to bring down everyone before the letdown or an impatient crybaby piece aimed to guilt these guys for constantly overlooking us. Its a really bad look, IMO.

There is no white Sox sourcing to this whatsoever. It’s just Sullivan needing to write an offseason piece quickly.

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic