Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

So, what if the Sox don't end up offering the most money? What if it's only $375 Million and the Phillies offer $400 Million? Perhaps it would be wise for Manny to also consider how this process might affect the fans' feelings about him. Imagine how much political capital he could garner, if he were to make his decision based upon factors other than simply the money. In any case, it's going to be an enormous amount of money, one to which few fans can relate.

What if he decided to come to the Sox, explaining; "There were other very enticing offers, however I chose to play for the White Sox because my wife and I love the city of Chicago and see a very bright future for our organization, with so much very promising young talent. Moreover, this is a unique opportunity to play with my best friend, who also happens to be my wife's brother. We are all very close and this will make it possible for our families to enjoy spending more time together. I understand that I can probably best help my team by playing third base, as we already have a very good defender at short stop. I want to play wherever I can provide the most value to the team and help bring another championship to the South Side."

That kind of statement would be the most politic thing that he could say, and could really endear him to the fans. Of course, given his recent history, it's doubtful that he would be inclined to express such sentiments, much less to actually mean them. Let's face it, he's no Jim Thome. In fact, there aren't many like Thome. This guy strikes me as someone who is very self centered and egotistical. Maybe fans don't even care about such things, anymore. But then again, remember that I'm from a "different time zone," as the Hawk likes to say. Then too, maybe his agents and the Players Association would be very upset about him taking anything less than the top dollar. Oh well, I know I'm dreaming, so Mr. Reinsdorf, just write that blank check and let's wrap this up.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Is the fact that most of the Phillies braintrust was in Baltimore when they drafted him good or bad?

I think it almost certainly has no impact. Machado is a known great player. The only possible impact could be negative, if they know he's a pain in the ass and a terrible teammate, and they're weighing whether the production is worth it. But it's probably nothing.

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

So, what if the Sox don't end up offering the most money? What if it's only $375 Million and the Phillies offer $400 Million? Perhaps it would be wise for Manny to also consider how this process might affect the fans' feelings about him. Imagine how much political capital he could garner, if he were to make his decision based upon factors other than simply the money. In any case, it's going to be an enormous amount of money, one to which few fans can relate.

What if he decided to come to the Sox, explaining; "There were other very enticing offers, however I chose to play for the White Sox because my wife and I love the city of Chicago and see a very bright future for our organization, with so much very promising young talent. Moreover, this is a unique opportunity to play with my best friend, who also happens to be my wife's brother. We are all very close and this will make it possible for our families to enjoy spending more time together. I understand that I can probably best help my team by playing third base, as we already have a very good defender at short stop. I want to play wherever I can provide the most value to the team and help bring another championship to the South Side."

That kind of statement would be the most politic thing that he could say, and could really endear him to the fans. Of course, given his recent history, it's doubtful that he would be inclined to express such sentiments, much less to actually mean them. Let's face it, he's no Jim Thome. In fact, there aren't many like Thome. This guy strikes me as someone who is very self centered and egotistical. Maybe fans don't even care about such things, anymore. But then again, remember that I'm from a "different time zone," as the Hawk likes to say. Then too, maybe his agents and the Players Association would be very upset about him taking anything less than the top dollar. Oh well, I know I'm dreaming, so Mr. Reinsdorf, just write that blank check and let's wrap this up.

Good lord.  Pay that man his money.

2 minutes ago, Slobber House said:

I don't want either of these guys honestly. I think they're both dickheads and clubhouse cancers that will end up screwing the rebuild up.

There, I said it.

For how good they are it shouldn't matter if they are a little into themselves.. Neither of these guys seem to be bad teammates. 

12 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I’ve been out of the loop most of the day, what’s the latest and greatest rumor? Is it doom and gloom time?

When there is little news over long periods the board mood shifts more and more negative.

• Quin locked this topic