Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Peeps...I don't mean to speculate, but think about this.  There have been many people saying the Machado deal has been done for a while--it's kind of been a repeating theme with many random people...then you have Alonso saying "when" it happens.  You have the Sox leaving a locker empty...it's like they know it's coming as if they HAVE KNOWN it's been official.  They way they are speaking about Machado and letting these tidbits of info out--there's no way MLB would allow this UNLESS Machado was already property of the Sox.  

There is a LOT to suggest that it's POSSIBLE that the deal IS done and being kept from release.  Now...let's make a critical mistake and make an assumption that it's true.  Now ask WHY?  Why would this be kept a secret?  It could be that they are trying to navigate the corresponding strike of signing both Machado and Harper.  Working out all the details of that so they can have 1 magical "reveal" that would consume the sports world for a long time.  Maybe the solution to the super agent's standoff of "who signs first" can be solved by saying hey, we'll both sign together--on the same team...no one gets up-staged.  They don't announce the Machado signing then a few days later--THAT'S over because it's all about Harper...or vise versa...

Get what I'm saying?  Coordinating strike?  All the pieces coming together at once?  Rock the world?   Ra team?  

2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Peeps...I don't mean to speculate, but think about this.  There have been many people saying the Machado deal has been done for a while--it's kind of been a repeating theme with many random people...then you have Alonso saying "when" it happens.  You have the Sox leaving a locker empty...it's like they know it's coming as if they HAVE KNOWN it's been official.  They way they are speaking about Machado and letting these tidbits of info out--there's no way MLB would allow this UNLESS Machado was already property of the Sox.  

There is a LOT to suggest that it's POSSIBLE that the deal IS done and being kept from release.  Now...let's make a critical mistake and make an assumption that it's true.  Now ask WHY?  Why would this be kept a secret?  It could be that they are trying to navigate the corresponding strike of signing both Machado and Harper.  Working out all the details of that so they can have 1 magical "reveal" that would consume the sports world for a long time.  Maybe the solution to the super agent's standoff of "who signs first" can be solved by saying hey, we'll both sign together--on the same team...no one gets up-staged.  They don't announce the Machado signing then a few days later--THAT'S over because it's all about Harper...or vise versa...

Get what I'm saying?  Coordinating strike?  All the pieces coming together at once?  Rock the world?   Ra team?  

there's too many people involved for a signing to not leak at this point

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Love the idea, but all the big time insiders have said they will not sign with the same team. Even Hahn said it himself. 

Plus Boras and Lozano hate each other, so I highly doubt they would work together like this. 

11 minutes ago, FT35 said:

As long as we're speculating...maybe the double deal is actually the perfect face-saving measure for both stars/agents in light of the unexpectedly soft market for their services.  There is no bidding war, they are not getting the $300M+ offers they expected from any of the limited number of suitors.  They are worried about the optics of signing a deal that doesn't look appreciably better than the $300M the Nats already offered.  Yet they don't want to take short term offers and leave money on the table, especially if they're not sure there will be a better market in the future.   Signing together allows them to say, or at least imply, that they took seemingly "low" offers in order to be part of "something special," echoing the Miami Heat dream team line.  The excitement of the super-mega-deal provides a massive distraction from a financial package that would otherwise scream out that they misread the market.

I still doubt this is going to happen but it's fun to dream.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’VE GOT IT GUYS!!!!!!

Hahn should call our old buddy Esteban Loaiza and have HIM “recruit” Manny!!!!

Give it 48 hours and we’re golden.

Bet the final contract ends up being 20 years for about $45 a year, with unlimited Loaiza incentives.

How about we get Jeff Bezos to send "sweet nothings" texts extolling the Yankees...that would make virtually anyone turn tail and run in the opposite direction.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

As long as we're speculating...maybe the double deal is actually the perfect face-saving measure for both stars/agents in light of the unexpectedly soft market for their services.  There is no bidding war, they are not getting the $300M+ offers they expected from any of the limited number of suitors.  They are worried about the optics of signing a deal that doesn't look appreciably better than the $300M the Nats already offered.  Yet they don't want to take short term offers and leave money on the table, especially if they're not sure there will be a better market in the future.   Signing together allows them to say, or at least imply, that they took seemingly "low" offers in order to be part of "something special," echoing the Miami Heat dream team line.  The excitement of the super-mega-deal provides a massive distraction from a financial package that would otherwise scream out that they misread the market.

See!?  The dialog sorta writes itself!!  

15 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I think it's a miscalculation to say they aren't signing because they are embarrassed about the optics of signing a lower deal. They still aren't losing money by not signing now, but may get a team that says "ugh its spring training, screw it, here's some more money please sign". 

I don't think that will happen, but again, the sox and phils aren't going away. But I do think we will hit a point next week where the players realize nothing is going to change and their leverage isn't really working and the deal is reached.

37 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Would be amazing. But i doubt the Sox are willing to outspend Philly on both. Unless they both hate Philly. Please be right

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Why are people saying SD is not realistic? To be fair I think they are a very realistic destination and have spent money in the past. They worry me the most.

I also fear SD as they have a reasonably low team payroll. I feel like they don't need Harper at all since they have a GLUT of OF'rs and no playing time. 

They did just make bad on Hosmer so who knows if that's playing into any decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Why are people saying SD is not realistic? To be fair I think they are a very realistic destination and have spent money in the past. They worry me the most.

They already have a lot of money on the books with Will Myers and Eric Hosmer. If they get Machado I really don't think they will be able to sign anyone else big in the future

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

From what I've seen, they haven't even had a formal meeting with Machado. If they were legitimately interested in him, I feel like that would have happened by now. I'm not worried about them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FT35 said:

I promise you it hasn't

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I mean it's not impossible. But they have not spent like a big market team in the past, have reduced but still considerable debt payments from PETCO, and tied up around around $38 million to two first basemen. They will likely get some very cheap production forever because they actually scout and develop talent well (novel) but that's a lot to ask because they still would need to buy SP and RP talent.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres