Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

8 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Do you know something?!?!?

I wish. I just think the old Soxfest surprise doesn't make much of a difference.  If they have something to announce.  I think they should announce it. Not wait until Soxfest. Besides if there is something to announce sitting on it makes the chance for a leak only go higher. There are a lot of Sox fans that won't be at Soxfest especially Friday night. 

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just be prepared for about 100 Manny in Chicago sightings on twitter over the next 24 hours.  I wonder if Reinsdorf has a luxury suite at the convention?

What’s the over/under we hear manny is in the UC with JR at the bulls game Friday night or Sunday? 🙂

There is no risk in the Sox trying to keep it a SoxFest surprise. If it leaks, oh well, don’t address it and still announce it at Soxfest . If it doesn’t leak, they have a viral historic moment on their hands. 

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

There is no risk in the Sox trying to keep it a SoxFest surprise. If it leaks, oh well, don’t address it and still announce it at Soxfest . If it doesn’t leak, they have a viral historic moment on their hands. 

I will be shocked if he is announced at SoxFest. I just don’t see how they can keep it under wraps long enough for it to not break ahead of then.

Just now, beckham15 said:

I will be shocked if he is announced at SoxFest. I just don’t see how they can keep it under wraps long enough for it to not break ahead of then.

If it's announced at Soxfest I think it has more to do with it being agreed to the day of. Also meaning no Manny at Soxfest (on Friday at least).

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If it's announced at Soxfest I think it has more to do with it being agreed to the day of. Also meaning no Manny at Soxfest (on Friday at least).

If there's an agreement that happens during Soxfest, they won't announce it unless they are able to complete a physical within a few hours, which doesn't seem feasible. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think he will be in Chicago no matter what.  If anything, it would be a signing announcement.

Right. It's not going to be NWO style as fun as that would be. 

I do think the Sox want the baseball world to come to a stop and take a look at us when Manny signs with the Sox! I mean this would be an historic contract for Manny, and for the Sox. Really unprecedented. So is Soxfest when they announce it? Maybe.

1 minute ago, heirdog said:

Sooner than that.  

You'd hope so, but I'm not expecting any of the major FA left on the market to sign until after SB Sunday. That means Harper, Machado and Keuchel. 

SB sunday is only 10 days from now, so everything should be settled within the next 18 days. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

So in case people don't realize this, the idea that the White Sox would have an agreement with Manny and then keep it under wraps for even several days to do a Soxfest reveal - if they actually tried something that dumb that would be a fireable offense for Rick Hahn. I think he's a terrible GM and even I don't think he's this dumb. Guys get offered and take better offers all the time until things are official and signed. We almost lost Jermaine Dye during his physical with us, and it was only JD saying he wanted to honor the handshake agreement that gave us a World Series. 

Scenario. They have a handshake agreement last Monday. Tuesday, Manny accidentally butt-dials the GM of the Phillies while he is reading all the details of his contract out loud and casually wishing for an extra $20 million in the first 5 years. The contract is not signed and it is not submitted to the league office for approval, so the Phillies call and on Wednesday, Lozano comes in and says "look we have this far better offer from the Phillies will you match it". Either you pay an extra price or you lose the player, congrats I hope your big soxfest reveal plan was, um, worth it?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

So in case people don't realize this, the idea that the White Sox would have an agreement with Manny and then keep it under wraps for even several days to do a Soxfest reveal - if they actually tried something that dumb that would be a fireable offense for Rick Hahn. I think he's a terrible GM and even I don't think he's this dumb. Guys get offered and take better offers all the time until things are official and signed. We almost lost Jermaine Dye during his physical with us, and it was only JD saying he wanted to honor the handshake agreement that gave us a World Series. 

Scenario. They have a handshake agreement last Monday. Tuesday, Manny accidentally butt-dials the GM of the Phillies while he is reading all the details of his contract out loud and casually wishing for an extra $20 million in the first 5 years. The contract is not signed and it is not submitted to the league office for approval, so the Phillies call and on Wednesday, Lozano comes in and says "look we have this far better offer from the Phillies will you match it". Either you pay an extra price or you lose the player, congrats I hope your big soxfest reveal plan was, um, worth it?

lol

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

If there's an agreement that happens during Soxfest, they won't announce it unless they are able to complete a physical within a few hours, which doesn't seem feasible. 

My whole point was that if there is an announcement that he has agreed to the deal, pending physical, it's because it literally happened that day and not like, a week before.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres