Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think Manny will be playing for the Sox this year, and I’m actually more worried about what the opt-outs or swell-outs will be than I am about whether or not we will sign him in the first place. 

Same here Blanco,really hope Sox can get him until at least 2022

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

wtf is a swell opt again Mr. B?

Say a seven year deal. There’s a team option after year 3 for years 4-7. If turned down player gets option on year 4. Don’t see this happening, it’s too good for the team. 

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Sox get him signed, I hope it’s a straight 7 or 8 year deal without opt outs or swellopts, honestly. 

That would be ideal, but it's hard to envision a scenario in which Machado doesn't get the opportunity to bail out at some point if he so chooses. I would be ecstatic if they could do what you said though.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

wtf is a swell opt again Mr. B?

Basically you have a contract that has years and a salary increase that the team can opt in to after a certain point but if they do not choose to opt in to it then the player can choose to opt out. So you can have a contract that is a base of 7/210, but the opt in time is after the third year. If the team opts in it will add a year or two to the end of the contract and increase the AAV for years 4-7. If the team decides not to opt in, then the player has the option to opt out early. So basically if the player is doing good then they get the higher amount because the team can't risk the player opting out. If the player does really bad they have the security of the base contract.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Say a seven year deal. There’s a team option after year 3 for years 4-7. If turned down player gets option on year 4. Don’t see this happening, it’s too good for the team. 

I don’t think you described that very well. 

Let’s say the deal is 7 years for $210. After the third year, for example, the player can opt out only if the team doesn’t “swell” the contract, like adding on two more years for $60 more. So all of a sudden, the 7 year deal becomes a 9 year deal, unless the team doesn’t want to, at which point the player can opt out (but doesn’t have to). 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

I think Hector’s source is in fact the negotiating table.  The actual table...and every day Hector strolls by it and sees only one offer on the table entitled “Super, secret offer from the White Sox.”

He tweets and replies to tweets about it every so often.  Some days he tweets it twice.  But many days, Hector decides he won’t visit that table and instead tweets in Spanish about fútbol and plantains.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hope it's true, but this seems very familiar to the bogus Lebron to 76ers rumor from the offseason.  Why would they need extra security?

To my knowledge, the security would be for a press conference, and those usually occur a few days to a week after an announcement, right? Therefore I am skeptical, but the guy seems sincere in the replies section so I think he actually heard this from someone (and not just seeking attention). Just don't think the information itself is accurate. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

To my knowledge, the security would be for a press conference, and those usually occur a few days to a week after an announcement, right? Therefore I am skeptical, but the guy seems sincere in the replies section so I think he actually heard this from someone (and not just seeking attention). Just don't think the information itself is accurate. 

Totally agree, seems like a real good dude that might have just received bad info.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres