Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bingo.

Because they didn’t commit to a thorough change of their evaluation systems, and their system-wide philosophy...at least not in the same way teams like the Astros and Cubs did.

They haven’t proven they are going to invest money like the a small market Indians did in a Top 5 manager like Francona.

Everything here is basically riding on, what, comparatively?  The judgment, development skills and talent evaluation of KW, Getz, Hostetler, Fabian, Paddy and Haber?

We have never had massive investments in scouting, compared to most other organizations.

We STILL haven’t fixed gaps in the Dominican Republic, Pacific Rim, etc.  Jesus Pena is still basically the last Dominican prospect, if you want to call him that, we produced...back in 2011-12.  I don’t see how those results would be much different if Dave Wilder was running things from jail.   I guess we have 2-3 Latin kids in our Top 15-25, but it’s still an overall disappointment, outside of Tatis, Jr. 

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Is there a debate going on that we don't need to sign him because we have too much talent? Or am I completely misreading this? The team doesn't have any MLB stars on it currently, so no reason to give up on landing one now.

Rather I'd say the team is now acting as they would be expected to act if they believe they will not sign him - moving Moncada to 3b to clear space for Madrigal, even if it's to the detriment of Moncada's development because his work at 2b becomes devalued.

• Haha 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Because they didn’t commit to a thorough change of their evaluation systems, and their system-wide philosophy...at least not in the same way teams like the Astros and Cubs did.

They haven’t proven they are going to invest money like the a small market Indians did in a Top 5 manager like Francona.

Everything here is basically riding on, what, comparatively?  The judgment and talent evaluation of KW, Getz, Hostetler, Fabian, Paddy and Haber?

We have never had massive investments in scouting, compared to most other organizations.

We STILL haven’t fixed gaps in the Dominican Republic, Pacific Rim, etc.  Jesus Pena is still basically the last Dominican prospect, if you want to call him that, we produced...back in 2011-12.  I don’t see how those results would be much different if Dave Wilder was running things from jail.   I guess we have 2-3 Latin kids in our Top 15-25, but it’s still an overall disappointment, outside of Tatis, Jr. 

Hooray for rebuilding!

2 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

Let's give Hahn a chance before we judge

Agreed . Once they committed to the rebuild, 4 years is enough time to see if the plan is working. If they aren't competitive after 4 years, the FO needs to go because they didn't execute the plan well. Then it time for another group to have a shot at it.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. Like winning a world series.

Which RH had little if anything to do with.  And that's now 14 years ago.  The honeymoon period is long gone.  Remember, it was Hahn's disastrous off-season in 2015 that led to this rebuild.

He gets this year and next year.  If the team doesn't win more than 88 games next year he more than deserves to be canned.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I think everyone should settle down for the time being.

It appears that the Padres have the highest bid on Machado right now.  But Machado remains unsigned, and we haven't gotten any reports that the Padres and Machado are closing in on a deal.  Which means that the Sox haven't told Lozano that they are not going to top the Padres offer.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Rather I'd say the team is now acting as they would be expected to act if they believe they will not sign him - moving Moncada to 3b to clear space for Madrigal, even if it's to the detriment of Moncada's development because his work at 2b becomes devalued.

See Fields, Semien, Teahen, Beckham, Viciedo, Collins (coming soon, according to scouts), Burger...

Then all the money we have invested into 1B/DH types over the last two decades, versus catcher, middle infield and CF.

No patience, or a lack of ability to “fix fielders” like Cooper could fix pitchers.

16 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

ok apply your logic then. 4 teams in on Machado, we have a 25 % chance of landing him.

Could it be were just not good right now to get a free agent?  i mean when is the last time we were in on one? Lets be happy that we are trying and see how it plays out 

Nope. I wouldn't ever want to watch a rerun of this again! Here I go. They BETTER get this done!!

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

so the panic has set in because of the Moncada taking reps at third right? That's really not a big deal to me. i am down for the panicking when its time but that right there, doesnt do it for me. Its practice.  

Well you've also got Renteria saying that Moncada has a good chance of starting there opening day.

Just now, shipps said:

Hahn is fired and all thats happened is Moncada taking reps at third. LOL

cough Hahn should have been fired right after he suggested trading Sale, and replaced with someone to do so cough Manny doesn't really affect my view on Rick and Kenny

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres