Rodon TJS

fathom

14 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Haha for sure.  I meant injuries happen.  

Actually, I meant it’s a common occurrence for Rodon.  He has been injured every season for his past four seasons.  He cannot he relied on.

On July 9, 2016, Rodón was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a left wrist sprain.

For the 2017 season, Rodón spent time on the disabled list, only being able to start in 12 games for the White Sox.

He began the 2018 season on the 60 day disabled list with a shoulder injury.

On May 13, 2019, the Sox announced that Carlos Rodon (elbow) will undergo Tommy John surgery this week.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 4

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Actually, I meant it’s a common occurrence for Rodon.  He has been injured every season for his past four seasons.  He cannot he relied on.

On July 9, 2016, Rodón was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a left wrist sprain.

For the 2017 season, Rodón spent time on the disabled list, only being able to start in 12 games for the White Sox.

He began the 2018 season on the 60 day disabled list with a shoulder injury.

On May 13, 2019, the Sox announced that Carlos Rodon (elbow) will undergo Tommy John surgery this week.

I know what you meant, I agree.   He’s Glass unfortunately

4 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Is this the end of the Nate Jones era in Chicago? Always a good pitcher, when healthy, but crazy that he pitched in more than 70 games just once in the last 6 seasons.

Rodon just can't be trusted. I'm sure we will read how great he is doing around this time next year and how he can be the needed boost for the White Sox rotation should they somehow be in contention next season. 

Very difficult times for White Sox fans. The rebuild has shown some hope this season with Anderson and Machado, but the injuries are just taking down the chance of any sustained rebuild.

• Thanks 1

Just now, spiderman said:

Is this the end of the Nate Jones era in Chicago? Always a good pitcher, when healthy, but crazy that he pitched in more than 70 games just once in the last 6 seasons.

Yes, they have an option next year on Jones and no reason to expect they would pick that up. They tried enough times. 

32 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Best wishes to Carlos.

He'll be a great midseason addition next year.

Doubtful. I would assume that he'd be on some inning restriction/tighter pitch count if he comes back in July next year. What contender is likely to depend on that? At this point, he's probably more useful to the White Sox.

2 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Doubtful. I would assume that he'd be on some inning restriction/tighter pitch count if he comes back in July next year. What contender is likely to depend on that? At this point, he's probably more useful to the White Sox.

From the "They expect him back next season" it sounds like they won't do this, but frankly I wouldn't even waste the roster spot on Rodon this offseason if I were in charge. Even if everything were to work out on time, does anyone want to count on him if they think this team is competitive in 2021? Even if the other starters all work out great you're still going to want a plan B for what you'll do if Rodon gets hurt or struggles that year, and then even if things go well he's instantly a free agent. 

Same boat as Garcia; even if everything went great, he's a poor fit for the White Sox due to the timing of his free agency.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

There is a happy middle though. People can disagree without having 7 others attack and start with name calling and others. People don't seem to be able to have a discussion without becoming near violent with language.

Folks need to learn to disagree without being disagreeable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

From the "They expect him back next season" it sounds like they won't do this, but frankly I wouldn't even waste the roster spot on Rodon this offseason if I were in charge. Even if everything were to work out on time, does anyone want to count on him if they think this team is competitive in 2021? Even if the other starters all work out great you're still going to want a plan B for what you'll do if Rodon gets hurt or struggles that year, and then even if things go well he's instantly a free agent. 

Same boat as Garcia; even if everything went great, he's a poor fit for the White Sox due to the timing of his free agency.

Rodon can't be seen as anything more than a 4th starter going forward, probably a 5 if they need to protect him.

At this point though, it's hard to see optimism having him in the rotation at all going forward.

Just have to hope that Lopez and Giolito have the type of seasons that leave the White Sox with a couple #2 or #3 type of starters, a guy like Cease comes up (and stays healthy) around mid-season and Kopech is ready to go next year. That's again a best case scenario though. Ideally, there is some veteran starter who they can add who is more than just a 1 year rental type.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

I don’t see how Rodon was not considered to be a part of the rebuild.  He was under control through 2021.  He is only not part of the rebuild because he is a walking injury.  But he would’ve been in the rotation this season, next season, and the season after that if he could stay healthy.  Or the Sox could have traded him if he could show any value.

I think he was a major part. Once Sale and Q were traded, he was the premier LH rotation piece. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

Rodon can't be seen as anything more than a 4th starter going forward, probably a 5 if they need to protect him.

At this point though, it's hard to see optimism having him in the rotation at all going forward.

Just have to hope that Lopez and Giolito have the type of seasons that leave the White Sox with a couple #2 or #3 type of starters, a guy like Cease comes up (and stays healthy) around mid-season and Kopech is ready to go next year. That's again a best case scenario though. Ideally, there is some veteran starter who they can add who is more than just a 1 year rental type.

I woulda thought that maybe we could consider Rodon a bullpen option in 2021 but our physical trainer poster said after the last injury (shoulder) that the nature of that injury probably made him poorly suited for the bullpen.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, they have an option next year on Jones and no reason to expect they would pick that up. They tried enough times. 

Don’t they have options on Jones for the next two seasons?

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/american-league/chicago-white-sox/

20:$3.75M club option, 21:$4.25M club option

Are you assuming the Sox would be too smart to pay a player $4 million NOT to play for them?  See Jon Jay.  😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Don’t they have options on Jones for the next two seasons?

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/american-league/chicago-white-sox/

20:$3.75M club option, 21:$4.25M club option

Are you assuming the Sox would be too smart to pay a player $4 million NOT to play for them?  See Jon Jay.  😂

They absolutely deserve the ridicule, but yea I do think that they will let Nate head off into the night this offseason.

10 hours ago, spiderman said:

Of course he was part of the rebuild. He just hasn't worked out. 

Won't be back until Spring 2020 at best.  Barely enough time to show he has anything.  His agent won't be signing any cheap extensions so that probably leaves us trading before the deadline for something modest.  Maybe he comes back like a house on fire and we recoup something kind of nice.  I hate dealing with Boras as you can never find a fair middle ground with his clients.

11 hours ago, spiderman said:

Rodon just can't be trusted. I'm sure we will read how great he is doing around this time next year and how he can be the needed boost for the White Sox rotation should they somehow be in contention next season. 

Very difficult times for White Sox fans. The rebuild has shown some hope this season with Anderson and Machado, but the injuries are just taking down the chance of any sustained rebuild.

It should be. Jones missing significant time is a lock every season.

11 hours ago, spiderman said:

He is referring to the White Sox here.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Won't be back until Spring 2020 at best.  Barely enough time to show he has anything.  His agent won't be signing any cheap extensions so that probably leaves us trading before the deadline for something modest.  Maybe he comes back like a house on fire and we recoup something kind of nice.  I hate dealing with Boras as you can never find a fair middle ground with his clients.

Mr. Boras isn't going to have much bargaining power.  Its in Carlos' best interest to stay with the Sox right now.  He'll make a little more money AND he gets to rehab somewhere where he is comfortable and knows the training staff.  I think 3 year extention (which really only buys out 1 FA year) plus a series of team options makes a bunch of sense for both sides.  From Carlos' perspective, if he is unwilling to discuss a somewhat team friendly extension, he runs the risk of signing either a minor league deal, or simply rehabbing next season without the benefit of a major league training staff and facilities.  Hahn has a great deal of leverage here.  

• bmags unpinned this topic