And That's a White Sox Winner !

Ross Detwiler pitched 5 innings and held the Twins to 2 runs in his 1st start for the Sox, James McCann and Eloy Jimenez both hit 2 run Homers. Jose Abreu had 2 hits and an RBI. Colome picked up his 17th save. Anderson and Moncada were out with injuries. Timmy for 4-6 weeks.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

McCann should have been credited with his second hit of the night. Rosenberg scored his bouncer to SS an error. That should have been a hit. We all think that McCann can't keep up this pace, but he just continues to have good at bats. I love his approach, taking some pitches to RF and choking up on the bat, with 2 strikes. The guy is a "keeper". He is so good behind the plate. I hope they can keep him, past next season.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

McCann should have been credited with his second hit of the knight. Rosenberg scored his bouncer to SS an error. That should have been a hit. I keep thinking that McCann can't keep up this pace, but he just continues to have good at bats. I love his approach, taking some pitches to RF and choking up on the bat, with 2 strikes. The guy is a "keeper". He is so good behind the plate. I hope they can keep him, past next season.

I didn't see it. But if it was that obvious I bet they change it.

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

McCann should have been credited with his second hit of the knight. Rosenberg scored his bouncer to SS an error. That should have been a hit. I keep thinking that McCann can't keep up this pace, but he just continues to have good at bats. I love his approach, taking some pitches to RF and choking up on the bat, with 2 strikes. The guy is a "keeper". He is so good behind the plate. I hope they can keep him, past next season.

Getting more expensive every day they wait to extend him.

Detwiler was the story of the night with only two runs and no walks to a powerful lineup.  Has an assortment of pitches and throws everything for strikes.  All on short rest.  Want to see more of him.

McCann & Eloy were also involved in fun moments.  

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ross Detwiler pitched 5 innings and held the Twins to 2 runs in his 1st start for the Sox, James McCann and Eloy Jimenez both hit 2 run Homers. Jose Abreu had 2 hits and an RBI. Colome picked up his 1th save. Anderson and Moncada were out with injuries. Timmy for 4-6 weeks.

Sorry if someone already posted it. When is moncada expected back?

2 hours ago, Sox80 said:

Sorry if someone already posted it. When is moncada expected back?

Ricky said during the day that Moncada would be available to pinch hit if they really needed him. Also, that they are optimistic that he returns to the lineup tomorrow. 

All indications point it being a bad bruise on the knee that simply needed a couple of days for the swelling to subside. When that happens, it should be all systems go. 

Edited by Richie

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Ricky said during the day that Moncada would be available to pinch hit if they really needed him. Also, that they are optimistic that he returns to the lineup tomorrow. 

All indications point it being a bad bruise on the knee that simply needed a couple of days for the swelling to subside. When that happens, it should be all systems go. 

Cool beans! Thank you. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Not really. They have another year of control, and he is currently sporting a .413 BABIP. That won’t be sustainable.

That doesn't mean his price isn't going up and I believe significantly.

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

Has a great bat & arm and seems to call a solid game...what's not to like.

8 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Eloy has now hit a miles worth of HR's for the Sox.

Sharing random useless thought here. A few months ago I remember joking about the Jetsons when someone called Eloy. Elroy. Now I want to call Eloy, Eloy Jettisson because he jettisons baseballs into the stands.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Has a great bat & arm and seems to call a solid game...what's not to like.

Because if you extend him now, you will be overpaying for his current performance.

If you wait to see what he does next year, and his offensive numbers go back down to his Tigers levels, would you really want him for what you paid him when he had a .900+ OPS?

52 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Because if you extend him now, you will be overpaying for his current performance.

If you wait to see what he does next year, and his offensive numbers go back down to his Tigers levels, would you really want him for what you paid him when he had a .900+ OPS?

Every contract carries with it the risk of a player getting injured, or having diminished productivity. It's the challenge of the front office to assess the likelihood of any player's future level of performance. McCann was considered a pretty good prospect, out of college, and has made some significant adjustments to his hitting approach, this season. Some of us wanted to extend him earlier. Every month that he continues to excel, establishes his bonafides. Now he has been selected to the All Star team. It would probably cost more to extend him now, than it would have just a month ago.

In the final analysis, perhaps the Sox just need to determine if they think they would like to have him continue as a key member of their future core. If so, then they should be trying to extend him beyond next year. I'm sure that Hahn would point to his unsustainable BABIP, as part of his negotiating tactics. If the front office deems the cost too high, they may not be able to sign him. I personally don't think that it's too early to try.

For my part, it's his catching ability and leadership qualities, that intrigue me the most. He doesn't have to be the team's highest average hitter to be a solid part of the anticipated contending roster. If he can hit around .280, with a .350 OBP and respectable power, that would be enough to plug the hole, at one the most important key positions. Again, as a fan, I consider him a "keeper" and I'd love to have him be the primary catcher to handle the Sox young pitching staff. When Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Lopez and whomever else they add to the rotation, are on the mound, McCann is the guy I want to be calling the pitches. Collins may develop into a good catcher, and having McCann as his mentor, probably increases the prospect of that happening. However, I would be very surprised if Zack will be able to provide what James does, any time soon. And remember, that window of contention should be opening soon, in fact just about the same time that McCann will become a free agent. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It is hard to believe. A week or 2 ago I was thinking the only thing better would be if he started hitting a few more homers and poof !, he started hitting more HR's. Not only that but his dramatic turnaround is giving people hope that Engel could someday turn it around.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Not really. They have another year of control, and he is currently sporting a .413 BABIP. That won’t be sustainable.

Yeah he is gonna cost what he is gonna cost. Even if he continues to play solid he will get a decent sized deal being a one year wonder. If we wait and he has another all star year next season, we will have to pay more, but it would be worth it. 

58 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah he is gonna cost what he is gonna cost. Even if he continues to play solid he will get a decent sized deal being a one year wonder. If we wait and he has another all star year next season, we will have to pay more, but it would be worth it. 

He will be arbitration eligible, this off season. What do you suppose he will get, if he continues to have this kind of year?