GT: Tigers (27-52) @ White Sox (39-42), July 2

soxfan49

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

We've faced alot of LHP recently, so some of it makes sense.  But the fact he hasn't DH'd in a handful of games against RHP is very puzzling, indeed.  

Collins is likely a platoon, but I don’t see why we don’t let him face LHP in a meaningless year and see if he can get better.  That being said, him not facing RHP on a regular basis is the greater concern and very perplexing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

We've faced alot of LHP recently, so some of it makes sense.  But the fact he hasn't DH'd in a handful of games against RHP is very puzzling, indeed.  

Give the man ABs.  Rondon DHing does nothing for the future of the team.

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Just like with Alonso, I feel like Rondon is getting his last bit of run before they ultimately decide to outright him to AAA and call up Mendick.

I don't really mind Rondon.  His bat has been poor this season, but he's a pretty good defender all over the infield.  I certainly won't lose any sleep if the Sox move on from him, and he definitely shouldn't be DHing, but I don't hate him as the last man of the bench right now, especially with Timmy out.  

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

Oh look our only back up INF is DHing again. Mendick should be up instead of Palka

One could make the excuse that they don't want to lose the DH by having to insert the DH at that position, but yeah...the catcher is only 1 position and Rondon is the only backup for 3 positions right now. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

One could make the excuse that they don't want to lose the DH by having to insert the DH at that position, but yeah...the catcher is only 1 position and Rondon is the only backup for 3 positions right now. 

With Moncada's and Garcia's history I think it is way more likely they get hurt than McCann.

Collins will never be able to hit lefties if he never gets the chance.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't really mind Rondon.  His bat has been poor this season, but he's a pretty good defender all over the infield.  I certainly won't lose any sleep if the Sox move on from him, and he definitely shouldn't be DHing, but I don't hate him as the last man of the bench right now, especially with Timmy out.  

Oh I’m not suggesting we should get rid of him, just feels like he’s all of sudden being used more (including twice at DH) which seems a little odd to me.  Maybe it’s just a function of Timmy’s injury and I’m overthinking it.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I’m not suggesting we should get rid of him, just feels like he’s all of sudden being used more (including twice at DH) which seems a little odd to me.  Maybe it’s just a function of Timmy’s injury and I’m overthinking it.

Yah, I think its mostly a function of our two natural DH selections both being horrid against LHP.  But its sad when Rondon is the best you can muster.  I'd rather see Mercedes take a few hacks against LHP as the DH than Rondon.  

Edited by ChiSox59

14 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Collins lack of play is beyond absurd at this point.  

They are doing a very poor job of developing him. How Ricky expects any kid to hit playing 1 game per week is mind boggling. 

Thank god Eloy was somewhat manageable with the bat in April is what this is telling me. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

They are doing a very poor job of developing him. How Ricky expects any kid to hit playing 1 game per week is mind boggling. 

Maybe Ricky really didn't want him called up yet and this is his way of expressing that.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe Ricky really didn't want him called up yet and this is his way of expressing that.

It's just like he made up his mind. Kid walks his first PA. Plays 2 days later, hits a bomb. Plays the next day, goes 0 for... then doesn't see another game for like 3-4 days. 

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

It's just like he made up his mind. Kid walks his first PA. Plays 2 days later, hits a bomb. Plays the next day, goes 0 for... then doesn't see another game for like 3-4 days. 

You answered the question!

they are going to trade him in the next couple weeks.  It’s what the cubs should have done with Schwarber after 2016.  Now that fat piece of crap is worthless.   I think they want to trade him before his value craters. 

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

You answered the question!

they are going to trade him in the next couple weeks.  It’s what the cubs should have done with Schwarber after 2016.  Now that fat piece of crap is worthless.   I think they want to trade him before his value craters. 

I would be very surprised if the Sox called up Collins to sit on the bench, and then trade him.  Would be a very bizarre way to handle that situation.  And I don't give two fucks about the Cubs, but Schwarber has produced 1.8, 3.2 and and is on pace for 1.6 fWAR this season.  That is not worthless.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just like with Alonso, I feel like Rondon is getting his last bit of run before they ultimately decide to outright him to AAA and call up Mendick.

I don't understand why Collins doesn't DH more, either.  After all, he would be in compliance with Renteria Rule #103:  in at least 50% of games, the DH shall be a player whose batting average MUST be in the .190's or lower.  If, or when,  a player's average should break the .200 threshold, said player would then either: 1.) assume a position on the field, or 2.) be relegated to sit on the bench.

Edited by bubba phillips
  • Like 1

The Collins DH situation has been touched on enough. I'll skip giving my thoughts on that subject.

Tonight, I just really want to see Rey have a good, clean outing against a putrid offense. Asking too much? Perhaps. 

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

The Collins DH situation has been touched on enough. I'll skip giving my thoughts on that subject.

Tonight, I just really want to see Rey have a good, clean outing against a putrid offense. Asking too much? Perhaps. 

He'll be lucky to make it through 5 again.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He'll be lucky to make it through 5 again.

Unfortunately, at this point, that has become the expectation. 

On the same token, the Tigers are so damn bad. I'm sure if you were to ask a group of Tigers fans, they would tell you the expectation is that Rey goes 6-7 innings with 1 or 2 ER's. 

Something's got to give. We'll see which side it is. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would be very surprised if the Sox called up Collins to sit on the bench, and then trade him.  Would be a very bizarre way to handle that situation.  And I don't give two fucks about the Cubs, but Schwarber has produced 1.8, 3.2 and and is on pace for 1.6 fWAR this season.  That is not worthless.  

It’s pretty worthless compared to what they could have gotten for him.  He’s a 1.5-2WAR defensive liability outfielder- something you try to upgrade if you want to win championships.  

My theory is they want to trade Collins before his value craters, exactly like Schwarber’s did to a frickin T- you can’t argue his value didn’t crumble into tiny crumbly pieces of manure.  Now Collins doesn’t get the initial value pump that Schwarber got for playoff heroics, which is fair enough, but point remains. He’s gone as part of a package by Jul 31.  

Willing to wager a $20 Amazon Prime delivery of your choice for fun, maybe I get some odds though for unlikelihood?? 🤔😎🤦🏼‍♂