GT: Tigers (27-54) @ White Sox (41-42), July 4

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

This isn't about Lopez, it's about our manager. It's Lopez's fault that at about pitch 95, he was dead meat. It's Ricky's fault he didn't even have someone warming up by then and then left him in at least one batter past the point he was clearly cooked.

The issue is that our bullpen is completely worn down following the double header and the 12 inning game which finished it. We had no choice... we needed Lopez to go a bit deep today. 

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

This isn't about Lopez, it's about our manager. It's Lopez's fault that at about pitch 95, he was dead meat. It's Ricky's fault he didn't even have someone warming up by then and then left him in at least one batter past the point he was clearly cooked.

Yeah, a good manager has someone up to start the 5th knowing who is on the mound and with how the opposition was getting to a clearly fading starter. 

Edited by SouthWallace

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

Yeah, a good manager has someone up to start the 5th knowing who is on the mound and with how the opposition was getting to a clearly fading starter. 

Most the time that's true ,but the bullpen is taxed. sometimes you just have to live to see another day.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

He would look much better with Francona as his manager.  When he starts to lose it he need a fast hook.

I mean it's not like he'd have a 3.5 ERA but there's no use leaving him out there to give up 1-4 extra runs in his final inning all the time.

Take, for example, this game against the Royals about a month ago. Lopez gets through 5 innings with a pitch count in the upper 90s and his fifth inning featured some hard outs. He goes out for the 6th and gives up a double, then a homer, then a walk, then a ground ball double play, then a single, then a triple, then another single before finally getting taken out with 118 pitches, the highest total of his career having given up 4 runs in the final inning when he probably shouldn't have been given more than one or possibly two batters before getting pulled. As I remember, even after the home run we didn't have a pitcher warming up yet.

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

Yes, our very shrewd and unappreciated manager. 

This was Renteria's plan all along.  Because the good pieces of our bullpen were way overused in yesterday's DH, Renteria wanted to make sure that today's game got way out of hand, so that he could use the bullpen scrubs and give Marshall, Bummer, and Colome 2 days of rest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Most the time that's true ,but the bullpen is taxed. sometimes you just have to live to see another day.

I would tend to agree, but leaving Lopez out to crash and burn again does nothing for anyone involved.

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

Pinch hitter?  Occasional DH?  I had hopes after his Charlotte mini resurgence but maybe he's just not any good.

Yeah, I mean... we all like him. He's just overmatched right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I would tend to agree, but leaving Lopez out to crash and burn again does nothing for anyone involved.

I mean, it's trying to save the pen. There's a lot to be gained in that.

Some days, your pitcher has to suck it up and eat up innings. Lopez new the situation going into the game, I guarantee it.