Leury Garcia

ron883

What to do with him? In the past a lot of people wanted to use him as flip bait. He has been killing it this season and provides very, very good versatility. Do we still try and flip him, keep him until he's a FA, try to extend him?

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

What to do with him? In the past a lot of people wanted to use him as flip bait. He has been killing it this season and provides very, very good versatility. Do we still try and flip him, keep him until he's a FA, try to extend him?

We've got him for 2 years and if we trade him we're going to have to go find or sign a utility guy to replace him. Only reason to trade him is if someone gives you something surprisingly good for him. Also no reason to extend him early - sometimes another utility guy just happens to develop, and if that doesn't happen and we want to keep him after 2021 we can afford to.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We've got him for 2 years and if we trade him we're going to have to go find or sign a utility guy to replace him. Only reason to trade him is if someone gives you something surprisingly good for him. Also no reason to extend him early - sometimes another utility guy just happens to develop, and if that doesn't happen and we want to keep him after 2021 we can afford to.

We only have him one more year.

quietly has turned in 1.4 fWAR.  what do 2.5-3 WAR utility guys go for?  I have no idea and dude is probably going to be looking for a payday come FA, he's earned it.

Not sure he's really a 2.5 WAR utility guy but if he is I'd imagine the Sox will lose him if they don't trade him.  Some other team will pay him to start I'd imagine.

I don’t doubt pretty much any team would like to have Luery on their roster...just not sure how many teams in contention he would start for. Is a team going to trade anything significant for a utility guy? Kinda doubt it. He’s probably more valuable to the Sox than what we’d get in return 

33 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

quietly has turned in 1.4 fWAR.  what do 2.5-3 WAR utility guys go for?  I have no idea and dude is probably going to be looking for a payday come FA, he's earned it.

Not sure he's really a 2.5 WAR utility guy but if he is I'd imagine the Sox will lose him if they don't trade him.  Some other team will pay him to start I'd imagine.

Last year Eduardo Escobar was a 3 WAR utility guy and he signed for 3/$21 million (somehow he's exploded this year but prior to this year) 

I'm starting to like Leury. When a guy produces, if you are a reasonable fan, you have to tip your cap. He's starting to emerge as a fairly consistent hitter/fielder. I.Like.Leury at this point in time.

Leury has been great and definitely has some value.  I wouldn’t be upset if he was traded if the return is good but I also wouldn’t mind seeing him stay.  I would treat him just like Colome — if you get an offer that you like, for some highly rated near MLB ready talent, by all means move them.  If you don’t get any offers other than low A ball guys with some potential, keep them both.

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I would treat him just like Colome — if you get an offer that you like, for some highly rated near MLB ready talent, by all means move them.  If you don’t get any offers other than low A ball guys with some potential, keep them both.

I guess that's fair enough. I hope our scouting department makes sure to acquire guys who look like ultra productive ballplayers especially if we deal Colome. We'll go from having a reliable to top-notch closer to really having nobody if we deal Colome. Trading Colome for lower level prospects would be like going from Clive Christian cologne to Old Spice.

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I guess that's fair enough. I hope our scouting department makes sure to acquire guys who look like ultra productive ballplayers especially if we deal Colome. We'll go from having a reliable to top-notch closer to really having nobody if we deal Colome. Trading Colome for lower level prospects would be like going from Clive Christian cologne to Old Spice.

Yep, most relievers are fickle from year to year but the top guys, and I include Colome in that group, are pretty good from year to year cuz they have top quality stuff.  But look no further than Herrera to see how up and down relievers can be.  He could very well be a stud next year.

8 minutes ago, pcq said:

What is it with all the boy blunders who want to flip our talent for suspects. This is not a video game. 

What a stupid response.

How did we get Moncada and Kopech?

How did we get Eloy and Cease?

How did we get Giolito?

Where did Leury come from?

Do you even know?  Honestly, your post isn’t good enough to wipe my ass with.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

What a stupid response.

How did we get Moncada and Kopech?

How did we get Eloy and Cease?

How did we get Giolito?

By trading elite players. A better question question would be what have we gotten for all the "flipped" players? Nothing.

45 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

By trading elite players. A better question question would be what have we gotten for all the "flipped" players? Nothing.

The Yankees got Allstar Gleybor Torres for the next six years for three months of wife beater Aroldis Chapman.  You act like this is impossible.  You are wrong...

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m guessing he wasn’t a Sox fan back when that trade actually happened.  😂

"Flip" is not a term I ever heard anyone using to describe trades prior to this rebuild so I am referring specifically to the trades that have occurred since it started.

If we are going to define flip trades it has to be:

- the trading of players acquired in the offseason at the deadline, when the player in question was acquired in the hopes of building their value to return other assets.

Hard to call Rios a flip trade like that since he was on the sox for several years at that point.

On the Leury front, glad he is finally being recognized. As he gets bumped from starter to bench, we would be looking at a player that can play all of the up the middle positions, provide good contact and a smidge of pop. That's great, I like it more than sanchez.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we are going to define flip trades it has to be:

- the trading of players acquired in the offseason at the deadline, when the player in question was acquired in the hopes of building their value to return other assets.

Hard to call Rios a flip trade like that since he was on the sox for several years at that point.

On the Leury front, glad he is finally being recognized. As he gets bumped from starter to bench, we would be looking at a player that can play all of the up the middle positions, provide good contact and a smidge of pop. That's great, I like it more than sanchez.

I was a big Sanchez fan but at this point he is pricing himself out of reach for what he brings to his club.  Leury is earning his keep and will be extended IMO.

Edited by poppysox

If someone wants to pay up, you move him for sure. He gets injured a lot and if you can cash in with a legit prospect or two, you definitely do it. 

If not, he’s a valuable piece for the rest of the season and 2020. I am definitely not giving him away for a Cordell/Tilson/Mederios type return. 

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Leury should be on the market to see what he can bring.  He's all batting average, which coupled with little power and rarely walking and fairly high K totals, seems unsustainable at this level.  

I don’t think it’s a unsustainable. If anything is unsustainable it’s him being healthy enough to play everyday. Leury uses the whole field and doesn’t try to do too much. He’s a very legit .280-.290 hitter. 

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The only question is whether you want to pay both Yolmer and Leury at the same time...with Anderson and Robert in 2020, Leury obviously becomes less of a necessity.

Most of us would pick Leury for the next two years...but that might change yet again by season’s end.