Padres Acquire Clevinger per Multiple Reports

bmags

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Keeping James McCann around SOMEHOW is looking more and more attractive.

It's such an interesting argument, but you can cut what, $20 million from next year's budget by letting guys like Rodon go, along with those on expiring contracts or options like EE, Gio G, Mazara, Leury Garcia, Fry, etc.

Robert got himself out there.

Let's go Mendick!   Need to start to put this game a bit closer to out of reach instead of letting the Royals hang around....which turned out not so well yesterday.

$20 million? It's close to $50 million. McCann and Colome is like $15 million. Decline the options on EE, Cishek and Gio and it's another $25 million. Non-tender Rodon and Mazara for another $10 million or so. They should have plenty of $$. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

$20 million? It's close to $50 million. McCann and Colome is like $15 million. Decline the options on EE, Cishek and Gio and it's another $25 million. Non-tender Rodon and Mazara for another $10 million or so. They should have plenty of $$. 

Jerry is poor tho

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Plus Herrera’s salary will be gone as well.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Plus Herrera’s salary will be gone as well.

Yeah but everyone else slowly goes up. It really depends on whether JR really says "Cut payroll compared to this year" or not, which will depend on a whole lot of things in the offseason. If JR gives that command, then even if all of those things happen, they won't have much to spend, and if they took salary on right now they'd have nothing to spend without moving someone.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah but everyone else slowly goes up. It really depends on whether JR really says "Cut payroll compared to this year" or not, which will depend on a whole lot of things in the offseason. If JR gives that command, then even if all of those things happen, they won't have much to spend, and if they took salary on right now they'd have nothing to spend without moving someone.

I’ve run the numbers and at a $140M payroll (slightly above league average), we should have $35M to work with and that’s assuming we bring back Rodon & Lopez as bullpen arms.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve run the numbers and at a $140M payroll (slightly above league average), we should have $35M to work with and that’s assuming we bring back Rodon & Lopez as bullpen arms.

So you're projecting that Jerry Reinsdorf will approve a payroll increase of $20 million next year compared to the payroll on paper this year?

I mean, he could. He could also demand a $20 million payroll cut. 

• Haha 1

One thing of note: Sox attendance next season should be STELLAR. combination of people finally able to go out once vaccine arrives and this team being in part of their 5-6 year run, revenue coming in is about to skyrocket starting next season. Payroll should not be an issue. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you're projecting that Jerry Reinsdorf will approve a payroll increase of $20 million next year compared to the payroll on paper this year?

I mean, he could. He could also demand a $20 million payroll cut. 

Lol...he’s not cutting payroll.  He may be crying poor right now, but the reality is we don’t have the same fixed cost structure that a lot of teams do and can better survive the loss of revenue from no fan attendance.  We’ll have to wait and see if he actually goes up to $140M, but I have zero concerns that he’ll actually make cuts.

31 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

One thing of note: Sox attendance next season should be STELLAR. combination of people finally able to go out once vaccine arrives and this team being in part of their 5-6 year run, revenue coming in is about to skyrocket starting next season. Payroll should not be an issue. 

That's true. But if I were an owner I wouldn't be counting on huge crowds and lots of profit until everything gets cleared up. Covid has shut down a country six months and counting and isn't over yet. Social issues are huge and we don't know anything about safety in cities right now. There's a lot of stuff going on that has to be fixed before sports is guaranteed to continue being a big moneymaker for billionaires.

Edited by greg775

33 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The problem is we have no idea if fans will be at games next year at this point.

• Like 4

So Rosenthal latest in the Athletic, mentions Indians really do want a power hitting OFer and there isn’t a match there with sox. Mentioned how Indians have successfully brought in third team for most recent trades.

Kopech has izzues up the yang-yang. I do that trade in a heart-beat.

Clevinger

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Dear lord, could you imagine a rotation of Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Clevinger, and Dunning?

Kopech has izzues up the yang-yang.

Dombrowski knew it too.

If surrendering Kopech gets it done, I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

Clevinger would become at least #2 pitcher

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Robert is a 6 WAR CF making an AAV of 11m for the next 7 years.

There's literally no one id trade him for, not even Trout (due to the ages and contracts of both). 

Wouldn’t even trade him for Tatis given no extension and positional need on the Sox