White Sox @ Pirates. 9/9 - 6:05

Bad Hombre

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, I'm talking more than just his decisions.  His arm strength and quickness at 2B are not what the scouting reports, at least the ones I read, would have you imagine.  I like the kid I'm just saying he's a mediocre MLB athlete and he'll have to play around that going forward.

I think the quickness at 2B is also a function of getting used to the MLB playing speed and the subsequent indecision. The arm strength does seem less than touted. Reports were that he could be serviceable at SS. That I don't see.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I think the quickness at 2B is also a function of getting used to the MLB playing speed and the subsequent indecision. The arm strength does seem less than touted. Reports were that he could be serviceable at SS. That I don't see.

He turns a DP about a quick as anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Yeah but how are the splits vs. RHP vs. LHP on sliders? I actually can't find those numbers anywhere. It seems like we absolutely kill lefties with sliders like Boyd, but have issues laying off them vs. RHP. 

Edit:

I finally got around to finding some numbers on this. Baseball Savant has Statcast search, which is pretty awesome and lets you get splits on pretty much everything. Anyways, vs. lefties against the slider, the Sox are hitting .250 with a .484 SLG and a .330 wOBA. This is actually the 5th best in baseball. Against RHP vs. the slider, they're hitting .228 with a .439 SLG and a .288 wOBA. This is 11th in baseball. Not as bad as I thought, but also not great. Weirdly enough our best slider hitters are Luis Robert and Eloy Jimenez, two guys who do nothing but chase them (both have a 40+% whiff rate on it). EE is absolute trash vs. the slider (no surprise there). Meanwhile, Robert also seems to struggle mightily against the fastball regardless of handedness. Pretty surprising considering the early scouting report on him. It could be that he's refined his approach to hitting off-speed and is no longer sitting fastball. 

I've noticed the past week or so Robert is swinging through a lot of fastballs. He can kill a hanging breaking ball but even 92 is getting thrown by him. I think that reflects a change in how he's being pitched now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Wasn't there a character named Brubaker in that awful baseball movie?  The one where Jessica Biel was the only reason to watch.

I was thinking one of the major leagues had a catcher named brubaker. The one with jessica biel was memorable for her.

Just now, Chris Sale said:

What is wrong with the umpiring this year? Did the irregular beginning just make them forget how to call balls and strikes? It's been straight up garbage. I will be so angry if Dunning gets squeezed next inning, yet I expect it fully. 

I  think it's always been this bad but now we have the zone overlay and can instantly see how bad it is.  The camera angle factor is no longer in play.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I  think it's always been this bad but now we have the zone overlay and can instantly see how bad it is.  The camera angle factor is no longer in play.

nah man we have had the strike box for a long time... this year is has been unacceptable for balls and strikes.

I've never seen it so bad.