Offseason Targets

soxfan49

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So your thinking Bauer and than go with a Leury/Engel platoon? 

I don't think Bauer is happening.  I do think they will do their best to acquire starting pitching and find a stopgap platoon half with Engel in RF.  

The can live with a hole in RF.  They cannot live with the holes/question marks in the rotation.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

If I was KW/Hahn and was told by JR we could expand payroll, I'd go after the number one guy they wanted first, be aggressive and try to get them to sign early in free agency. Then I'd let the market play out.

There are guys now that we have place holders of >$10 mill that may very well be under. A guy like Joc might really just be paid as a platoon guy on a tough market. 

If Stroman is ok playing for La Russa, he's my #1.  Lock him up early and then let the market play out for a bit.  With all of the newly declined options on the market, there will be quality to be had once we have a clearer picture economically.  

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

If Stroman is ok playing for La Russa, he's my #1.  Lock him up early and then let the market play out for a bit.  With all of the newly declined options on the market, there will be quality to be had once we have a clearer picture economically.  

I deleted my response because you answered my first question. So who do you think they will sign as the other half of the platoon with Engel? Joc Pederson?

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

I'm starting to lean this way. I am not sure I like paying Bauer as our #1 as chance of him souring out on deal at some point is high.

Stroman would fit right in with this group, have had success with groundball pitchers recently, and leaves us in a position to still have flexibility in future FAs where an unexpected player becomes available (trade or FA). Plus pair them with a high upside vet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Who do you think? Stroman, Tanaka, Quintana?

If Stroman is ok playing for La Russa, he's my #1.  I would be happy with Quintana as a backend starter.  A few other interesting names out there now as backend options.

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I deleted my response because you answered my first question. So who do you think they will sign as the other half of the platoon with Engel? Joc Pederson?

Joc, or any lefty bat with decent defense not named Mazara.  Doesn't have to be a star with the thunder in the lineup.  I don't think we find our long term RF this winter.  

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Stroman is very "meh" to me.  If he is our big addition to the squad it would be very have for me to view it as a successful offseason.  

Agree.  The goal should be to piss all over the league on the way to the World Series.  Firehoses of piss.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

How about if we sign Springer and Quintana or Paxton as FA’s and than trade for Lynn? 

That is a step down scenario for me.  My #1 goal is a Bauer/Stroman/Kluber (if he passes physical muster) at the front of the rotation type of add.  If that doesn't work, sure targeting Spring is a plus to this team, but not nearly as impactful as a front line pitcher.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That is a step down scenario for me.  My #1 goal is a Bauer/Stroman/Kluber (if he passes physical muster) at the front of the rotation type of add.  If that doesn't work, sure targeting Spring is a plus to this team, but not nearly as impactful as a front line pitcher.

There is only one front line starting pitcher this offseeason (Bauer). ... The rest of them are postseason 3/4s... 

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Kluber would be interesting. He is obviously familiar with the AL Central. I can see the Sox signing him and possibly someone for the backend. For RF, maybe just someone who can platoon with Engel. I would be down for that.

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Kluber would be interesting. He is obviously familiar with the AL Central. I can see the Sox signing him and possibly someone for the backend. For RF, maybe just someone who can platoon with Engel. I would be down for that.

Trading for Calhoun seems like a logical move

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Don't understand the Stroman love...especially w/QO pick. Try to sign Bauer but target trade candidates (Musgrove, Burnes, Marco Gonzales, maybe one of Atlantas young guns, etc.) and pull the trigger.

Giving up multiple prospects in a trade rather than giving up the 52nd pick in the draft doesn't make sense to me. Any of those trade candidates you mentioned would require greater value than a single late second round pick, players presumably closer to the window of opportunity than that prospective pick would be. Giving up a prospective player with a ten percent chance of contributing several years down the road when the period of contention is immediate for a pitcher that would considerably enhance the team immediately is a small price to pay. Its not even worth a second thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Don't understand the Stroman love...especially w/QO pick. Try to sign Bauer but target trade candidates (Musgrove, Burnes, Marco Gonzales, maybe one of Atlantas young guns, etc.) and pull the trigger.

Zero chance Atlanta trades a young pitcher. They need help in starting just as much as the Sox do. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The international money seems weird to me... normally wouldn’t that money already be spent by now since the period was suppose to start in July? Them moving back the signing period has caused some annoying problems. Hopefully if we happen to sign a guy with a qualifying offer it won’t interfere with anything with who and what we have to offer.

• bmags locked this topic