Offseason Targets

soxfan49

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, that’s a pretty damn solid offseason and to me there is zero excuse to not get something like this done.  I think the big takeaway from all these contract predictions and the early option declines is there will plenty of B & C tier pitchers that should be available on the cheap to add much needed depth.  Just need to add one higher impact starter like Stroman (or preferably Bauer) and then we can let the market play out a bit and land some real steals.

I think Stroman is about as aggressive as this org can or will get. Remember, while people were losing their lives, their jobs, and/or their businesses, JR saw fit to b**** about losing money.

I admire your exuberance after the Machado deal and your decamping for Tennessee, though.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Since WHEN IS STROMAN A HIGHER IMPACT STARTER!?!?!?!?! This board has absolutely lost it with the Stroman love.

NO ONE IS SAYING STROMAN IS A HIGHER IMACT STARTER!!!!!

I think that posters who support his acquisition prefer to live in reality, rather than wasting their time dreaming about acquisitions that will never ever happen. Again, JR b****ed about losing money during a pandemic, and has NEVER signed a FA to a 9-figure contract.

That aside, Stroman is a better acquisition because of at least the following:

1. The lower salary for Stroman, ehich enables other holes to be filled this offseason, this trade deadline, & in future offseasons/trade deadlines,

2. The opportunity for surplus value (@ $8MM/WAR, Stroman just has to average ~2WAR/YR to be worth it $17MM/YR; @ $32MM/YR, Bauer would have to average ~4WAR/YR)

3. Bauer will command more years, which will limit roster flexibility in the latter half of this competitive window, and

4. If Bauer doesn't work out, for WHATEVER reason, there are only a handful of teams that could/would take on a $32MM/YR contract; if Stroman doesn't work out, pretty much every other MLB team could take on $17MM/YR. To re-market Bauer later on will cost money and/or trade value, whereas the disposing of a smaller contract with surplus value could/would cost less. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This team has about $20 million in raises coming.

Which again, is why Bauer and Springer are pipe dreams and wastes of time to even think about. 

To those who insist on denying reality:

Once again, JR b****ed about financial losses during a pandemic, which is still ongoing. And once again, this org has never signed a FA to a 9-figure contract. The pandemic makes it MORE likely that they wont break that streak in THIS offseason. YMMV.

Let’s say the Sox don’t get Bauer/Stroman and refuse to give up a 2nd rounder for Gausman (Which I wouldn’t anyways) sign Springer & Brantley then trade Vaughn, Cease, and say Luis Gonzalez for Brandon Woodruff we down with that offseason?  

Just now, Rey21 said:

Let’s say the Sox don’t get Bauer/Stroman and refuse to give up a 2nd rounder for Gausman (Which I wouldn’t anyways) sign Springer & Brantley then trade Vaughn, Cease, and say Luis Gonzalez for Brandon Woodruff we down with that offseason?  

I absolutely do not want to trade Vaughn unless it's for a DeGrom type. He is going to absolutely be a stud.  

I'm not sure what this board's obsession is with trading Eloy. He'll be on the White Sox for a long time.

Vaughn or Kopech will likely suffice as the centerpiece for Marquez, even with the insane value of his contract. But I don't see the Sox pulling the trigger there.

• Like 4

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not sure what this board's obsession is with trading Eloy. He'll be on the White Sox for a long time.

Vaughn or Kopech will likely suffice as the centerpiece for Marquez, even with the insane value of his contract. But I don't see the Sox pulling the trigger there.

To be fair, I think its mainly one guy who continually brings it up.   

I just am at a completely different place than you guys. I'm willing to trade talent for position players. I would much, much rather get pitchers through FA, or soak in an expensive/market priced vet through trade.

Woodruff is good, but I'm not interested in paying the huge sums for cheap control. Pitchers are too volatile. He's not even openly on the market, so you know he'll take a ton. Ideally a great pitcher the next few years gets dangled and we have resources to get them, but the obsession over woodruff is misplaced to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

It is truly a singular posters obsession. I don't know of another that continuously posts about trading him.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

To be fair, I think its mainly one guy who continually brings it up.   

Just now, bmags said:

It is truly a singular posters obsession. I don't know of another that continuously posts about trading him.

My bad, that makes more sense. I just see it discussed all the time but haven't thoroughly examined the posts since it's obviously not happening

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I absolutely do not want to trade Vaughn unless it's for a DeGrom type. He is going to absolutely be a stud.  

Trust me I don’t either but they need a legit top line starter which there are only 2 available in FA (Bauer/Stroman) their next best option would have to come via trade. If the Mets were to give up DeGrom the Padres have all the prospects to make that happen so that would be a pipe dream. I feel like Woodruff would slot perfectly right behind Giolito with control as well, I would much rather just pay money for Bauer/Stroman and keep Vaughn but Jerry has already Reinsdorfed once this offseason he’ll probably do it again and cheap out on us. 

• bmags locked this topic