White Sox sign Tim Beckham

maloney.adam

• Kalapse changed the title to White Sox sign Tim Beckham
4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Only if they play the video of him tripping over the mound every time he takes out a pitcher. :cool:

Maybe he can also write “f**” near second base in the dirt before each game too and promote Getz to his bench coach.

Yes, likely doesn't mean much at all. I'd also like to say what is the point of going out and signing people this early?

This offseason is going to be a WEIRD one. Probably the weirdest of them all. Look at a guy like Adam Eaton who just had his option declined. I have a feeling there will be a ton of guys like that across the league, so rushing out to sign a "meh" guy doesn't mean much, it also doesn't make sense to try and start setting market prices. I bet $1.25mm nets you a better player in February than it does in October ... that's all. Again it's all meaningless anyways because it's very plausible he doesn't make the roster and starts at AAA or we cut bait on March 11th in the middle of Spring Training (if there's even a Spring Training)

Every year sox hire an aging veteran as insurance on a minor league deal and people freak out thinking they'll take a young players role on the team, then they never get called up even in some cases where it makes sense. This is a true "if mendick and anderson get injured" move.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Worth mentioning he got hit with an 80-game suspension in 2019 and only served partial of that. Still needs to serve the rest.

I'm pretty sure it becomes shorter since the season was shorter in 2020. Pineda had his suspension shortened.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'm pretty sure it becomes shorter since the season was shorter in 2020. Pineda had his suspension shortened.

He wasn't on a team last year so it's not reduced. Hence, why he was able to sign during this period. We are in the period where you can only negotiate with your own free agents but MLBTR points out that he was not on a team so he is free to sign.

Edited by manbearpuig

24 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

He wasn't on a team last year so it's not reduced. Hence, why he was able to sign during this period. We are in the period where you can only negotiate with your own free agents but MLBTR points out that he was not on a team so he is free to sign.

No risk deal as depth