And now Wheeler on the market

4 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

So we are at the Ted Williams' frozen penis point of the offseason I see.

We need a rumor.

This is great. Take my like, even though it threatens my chances of winning "poster of the day" for most liked content. 

Remember to hit the heart symbol on the bottom right corner of my post if you enjoyed the content or found it thoughtful. Thanks folks. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Remember to hit the heart symbol on the bottom right corner of my post if you enjoyed the content or found it thoughtful. Thanks folks. 

This content was sponsored in part by The Needy Fragile Sense of Self Foundation.

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Wheeler let his girlfriend dictate where he landed. He turned down an extra 7m to go to the destination of her choice. The guy is clearly a low testosterone cuck, and I don't want him. 

Was it difficult to write that while licking your wife's toes ?

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This is false. I considered it this year, but never made the actual switch. 

"But I say to you any who lust after a woman has already committed adultery in his heart." As far as the good Lord is concerned, you're already a cub fan whether you went all the way or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't read the whole thread yet, it grew pretty fast. Here's my deal to the Phils.

If I did the math correctly Harper has $274M left on his contract and Wheeler has 96.5 =$370.5M

Have them pay off $78M which equals slightly less than the amount the Sox wanted to pay Machado. So we get Harper and Wheeler for the cost of Machado. Have Boston pay off the 1st 3 years of Harpers contract which is the $78M. The back end of that contract is cheaper and essentially he wouldn't  be paid for the 1st 3 years (21,22,23 )and the Sox would pay Wheeler's full salary .

Keuchel's contract is over after 2023 which would free up $20M from the 2022 payroll. Giolito is also a free agent after 2023 which will subtract whatever Giolito gets in his last year of arbitration unless of course he is extended. By this time some young pitchers of the Sox should be ready to take Keuchel's and Giolito's spots or they get traded off if young pitchers have really advanced to replenish the farm. If need be, if they develop quickly, Keuchel, if he has any value left can be traded earlier.

Of course I haven't figured out the whole payroll structure in those years but I am trying to see ways to minimize the impact of those 2 combined salaries.

The really hard part is just what do you give up for still taking on $292M, basically digging the Phillies out of a huge hole. Do you really have to give up anyone ? Has anyone ever traded for that much salary before ? Is there a precedent ?

It sort of reminds me of the Dodgers getting David Price and the one year of Betts. Boston ate half of Price's salary ($48M) and the Dodgers paid Betts salary ($27M)for a year and Gave up Verdugo (Boston) and Maeda (Twins) in that 3 way with the Twins while the Twins gave up Gaterol to the Red Sox. So the Dodgers took only $75M off Bostons hands while giving up a prospect and a 4th starter who pitched his ass off for the Twins. I have no clue what you give up for taking on $292M. A guy in the DSL just so you can say it was a trade ?

17 hours ago, aeichhor said:

Ahh now I see I wasn't the only one thinking this . I just came up with a more specific way to handle it. I think my numbers on what's owed came up differently. Maybe I should do the math on here and see if anyone can verify my numbers ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

So in Rosenthal today he says the Phils were absolutely listening to deals for Wheeler, but may not have progressed to point of bringing it upward.

Obviously middleton shut it down spectacularly. Good luck hiring a pres, should probably just assume McPhail/that acting GM may be what phils roll with.

To add to this, what the heck is going on with GMs this year? Cohen indicated they've struggled to get meetings with their targets. The new GMs? 2 are from the MLB office. AZ getting an ATL guy is the only other I can think of.

Are teams shutting down meetings for their guys while shedding a lot of their ops roles? Seems pretty ridiculous.