Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Adam Eaton is the biggest asshole who ever lived, and anything that suggests any different is just fake. Fake news. 

I don't think Adam Eaton is everyone's cup of tea, but I really doubt everyone hates him. 

Sounds like AJ. Personally, I like both guys and would want to play with both guys.

I just hope Eaton's offense doesn't continue to decline. I don't care much about the "bad guy" talk.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Man, I really don't know...

... not super thrilled with either move (lynn or Eaton).

The White Sox filled holes, and I'll admit Eaton fills them nicely if he's superb, but you have to squint really hard to see him being that piece. 

Further, instead of looking years a head we are only making moves for the immediate next year while giving up a bit of the future. 

Not super thrilled, but i'll hold my more aggressive emotions to see what else plays out this offseason. 

I like the Eaton move. Low risk, high reward. If healthy, he will provide tremendous value for the Sox.

I am also a fan of the Lynn deal. I don't view trading Dunning as giving up on the future. Lynn has been a top SP in MLB for a few seasons now. He'll be a 2-3 SP on the Sox. Dunning is a nice arm. At best, he's a solid 3. But he's also 26 and still has a ways to go. Also, the Sox are trading from a position of strength. They're filling a need now, which is a top of the rotation arm. If he pitches well like he has, maybe they extend him a year or give him a QO and the Sox get a pick out of it. But they still have Cease and Kopech, with several young arms in the system. Plus we will likely see the Sox sign one more starter. Probably a Quintana type.  I believe the Sox gave up fair value for Lynn, and I definitely don't think this is a sign of giving up on the future. Lynn declining a QO after the season likely provides you with a higher valued prospect than Dunning within a year (plus the roughly $15M+ in value they'll get out of him during the season).

Edited by Stealth G.O.A.T.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, daa84 said:

prior to 2005 i hated the carlos lee for podsednik deal, but it saved a bunch of money and they were able to sign multiple solid but not spectacular pieces cheaply like AJ iguchi el duque. The lynn and eaton deals fill holes while still leaving room for financial flexibility. I'll hold judgement too much until we see how the rest of the money is spent.

I'll say this - I am more concerned about RF from a long term perspective, beyond just this year. Limited options to fill internally 

The only good option in free agency going into next offseason is Michael Conforto, if the mets don't lock him up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Adam Eaton is the biggest asshole who ever lived, and anything that suggests any different is just fake. Fake news. 

I don't think Adam Eaton is everyone's cup of tea, but I really doubt everyone hates him. 

I think people need to just stop acting like it's still 2016. I am sure Eaton is not the same person. I doubt any of the players really are the same people. Either way, at $7M, its worth the risk and potential value either way.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I think people need to just stop acting like it's still 2016. I am sure Eaton is not the same person. I doubt any of the players really are the same people. Either way, at $7M, its worth the risk and potential value either way.  

I just hope Abreu can get along with him now. As long as he can, everyone else will.

1 minute ago, y2chae said:

Eaton hasn't played in CF since 2017.

Yes sorry I clarified later, probably should have just edited the main post. I thought DRS would align to baseball savants OAA data since its usually close but DRS is also specifically dinging his RF play, which OAA still views positively. So it's holding runners or something causing the dings. 

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I read it this way too. If LaRussa can't manage a clubhouse with Eaton on a one year contract, we are going to have bigger problems. I think Eaton the player fits better than the other options, and a veteran with sustained success can have a pass for last year. Joc is the profile that fails here nearly every time. Eaton's time will also need to be managed to keep him healthy, again something we have to accept that TLR can manage. 

Only giving him 7 million is a win. RF to me is a small hole and you should have average, with potential to be above average performance with Eaton and Engel. I think people have been underplaying outfield defense if you are going to try and jam in Eloy with a Brantley or Schwarber type. Robert is a God out there, but he can't cover for two butchers all season.

The savings, just like the Lynn deal, do need to be invested elsewhere though. Please keep signing pitching.

12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's like the Sox are actively trying to make us hate them. 

And yet, people in baseball as a whole have never been nicer and more decent in the history of the game. It’s just that there is 24 hour sports radio and Twitter and social media. If Adam Eaton has ever truly crossed the line, I’m unaware. If the worst thing he ever did was say something stupid about LaRoche’s kid, then I’m way over that. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Bob is Jerrys leak guy.  We saw this with the whole TLR hiring.  

The fact that they think Brantley is too costly.  That tells you where we are at.  

Hopefully that means too costly to afford the high end pitching they are targeting. Not holding my breath though

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Eaton isn't the insane RF he was when he was with the sox, but his dWAR is dragged by CF play. His RF is still positive in OAA

I am in the minority but I like the Eaton hire.  A gritty player who wants to win.  We are definitely a better team today than we were yesterday IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, flavum said:

And yet, people in baseball as a whole have never been nicer and more decent in the history of the game. It’s just that there is 24 hour sports radio and Twitter and social media. If Adam Eaton has ever truly crossed the line, I’m unaware. If the worst thing he ever did was say something stupid about LaRoche’s kid, then I’m way over that. 

I just wish people would get over Eaton saying something  obnoxious sticking up for a 10 year old kid. 

If he is an asshole, he’s an asshole. There have been several everyone has cheered for. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have never seen a sports organization with as much contempt for their fanbase as the Sox. It's baffling. 

Remember how much they hated us when they signed AJ? This board was furious and we all completely stopped being White Sox fans.

Pepperidge Farm Remembers

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Engel plays RF against LHP and likely gets starts when Eloy/Eaton continue their long term beefs with walls.

Problem there is, Engel can only play one position at a time, but now we have three starting outfielders who range from fairly to very injury prone. Hopefully the Sox pick up another OFer who can chip in at DH, and carry five OF. Leave Leury as utility infielder. Don't want to see him starting any more games in the outfield. This would look a lot better if Sox pick up Dahl. Go with four injury prone outfielders and Engel. Come to think of it, we now have injury prone players everywhere except first and catcher. Better get that bench stacked.