Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, poppysox said:

At this point in time, they have improved over last year in RF and SP...while being worse in RP and the Catcher position.    I think a catcher like Flowers or Molina...a closer like Hendriks or Colome and an SP like Q are the bare minimum we see.  Now...step back slowly.

Twins will make some moves also in the next few months. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re the ones that target Darvish, and Musgrove makes sense to them as well.  Also some talk about them going after a SS.

I am just surprised that one Dan Bernstein anonymous report all of the sudden has people jumping off of bridges.  I spent the entire season saying that spending wasn't going to be as high as most expected, but I did figure they would try to make some impact moves at the same time.  I see no reason to think that they aren't going to spend on a closer and really want Hendriks to be it. Even Hahn who has had ample opportunities to say that they are done, has done anything but doing so.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Twins will make some moves also in the next few months. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re the ones that target Darvish, and Musgrove makes sense to them as well.  Also some talk about them going after a SS.

That might be the idea, wait and see what they do so JR can then make appropriate moves to carry out his alleged 2nd place plan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just surprised that one Dan Bernstein anonymous report all of the sudden has people jumping off of bridges.  I spent the entire season saying that spending wasn't going to be as high as most expected, but I did figure they would try to make some impact moves at the same time.  I see no reason to think that they aren't going to spend on a closer and really want Hendriks to be it. Even Hahn who has had ample opportunities to say that they are done, has done anything but doing so.

I didn't think so either, but Bernstein specifically said that they weren't interested in multi-year deals right now. That's contradictory to being interested in Hendriks. 

I also hope that people realize that in a normal year the Sox do not make the postseason in 2020. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I didn't think so either, but Bernstein specifically said that they weren't interested in multi-year deals right now. That's contradictory to being interested in Hendriks. 

It's also contradictory to every other single report about the Sox and Hendriks.  Why do you believe one, but not the others?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It's also contradictory to every other single report about the Sox and Hendriks.  Why do you believe one, but not the others?

Confirmation bias I guess. 

Idk how they can afford Hendriks and not Brantley. That makes no sense. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They can’t afford Brantley or Pederson compared to Eaton, as that extra 5-7 million is hopefully being allotted towards closer.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I also hope that people realize that in a normal year the Sox do not make the postseason in 2020. 

In a normal year Kopech plays and they have 100 more games to bounce back from a terrible 10 game stretch where they ended up 1GB of the division and tied for the #1 WC spot

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be honest, no. Was surprised when that rumor came out. But then I let the “Tony created a closer” argument change my mind.  Now after thinking about it more, I could see them not wanting 13 million tied up on a closer two years from now.

Then they should trade him at that point.

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I find it hilarious that this Beef guy tweets like he’s a journalist 😂😂:

Dan is correct. He said that we won't sign anybody to a deal longer than 1 year, but did not say Hendriks was a no go technically. But at least Beef is getting messages from radio celebs to boost his ego and Twitter stats. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Of course, you know I agree with that. Heck, I’m advocating trading Grandal and 15 million dollars to Phillies (or Mets) for a good prospect and signing McCann.

I know. I'm just amazed that a front office source could have opinions like "long term deals never work out" when they work in baseball every day and have much better information than we do.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Dan is correct. He said that we won't sign anybody to a deal longer than 1 year, but did not say Hendriks was a no go technically. But at least Beef is getting messages from radio celebs to boost his ego and Twitter stats. 

Dan isn’t the only one. This guy is now constantly talking to a bunch of blue checkmarks and media guys. His ego is growing and growing it seems.

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think people do "realize" that, because it's nonsensical.  What does that even mean?  By the way, at least 50% of the time tomorrow, today we are definitely signing Hendriks (but not usually.)

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

They can’t afford Brantley or Pederson compared to Eaton, as that extra 5-7 million is hopefully being allotted towards closer.

Apparently not the closer we want. 

This is such BS. Oh don't be pissed at us for not signing Joc until you see where the money goes.

*Hendriks balks at 1 yr offer.....money goes into Jerry's wallet (again)

Ok you can be pissed now

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Prioritizing your resources. It's not about affording one and not the other it's about where they want to allocate the resources they have. They don't have the flexibility to do both.

41 minutes ago, South Sider said:

LMAO at Soxtalk extrapolating that the Sox are not pursuing Hendriks from whatever Bernstein said, then telling Cheezy Beef that Dan Bernstein said "the sox are not going to sign Hendriks", turning it into Twitter thing with Cheesy Beef and actual Dan Bernstein. 

That's amazing. Cheesy beef just steals ideas from here and throws them all out there. Dudes a fraud. Not sure how he got any following.

Come at me cheesy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jack, you know this is wrong right? In a normal year the sox make the playoffs, they were actually hurt by the stupid new format where 2 teams from every division get in. They would be the second WC in a regular year. The central would have 3 playoff teams and the other two divisions 1 each.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I don't think people do "realize" that, because it's nonsensical.  What does that even mean?  By the way, at least 50% of the time tomorrow, today we are definitely signing Hendriks (but not usually.)

I think what he meant was in a normal 162 game season the Rays, Twins, and Astros would have probably won their divisions. The Yankees/Indians/A's/Sox would have fought for wild cards with the Sox probably being the odd team out. This of course is no certainty, but it could have been the case. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jack, you know this is wrong right? In a normal year the sox make the playoffs, they were actually hurt by the stupid new format where 2 teams from every division get in. They would be the second WC in a regular year. The central would have 3 playoff teams and the other two divisions 1 each.

I'm not sure about this. The AL East would have gotten two. The Astros would have figured things out and the A's most likely would have been there til the end. It may have been between us and Cleveland. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think what he meant was in a normal 162 game season the Rays, Twins, and Astros would have probably won their divisions. The Yankees/Indians/A's/Sox would have fought for wild cards with the Sox probably being the odd team out. This of course is no certainty, but it could have been the case. 

OK, if the point is that the Sox only made the playoffs because of the pandemic-shortened season, and would certainly have missed the playoffs in an alternate-universe season with a different number of games, different personnel, and a different set of rules, that's totally unknowable.  If I'm guessing, I'd bet on a team that had a nearly .600 winning percentage in the shortened season with arguably their best player severely compromised by COVID, and rolling without their best young pitcher (who likely would have played in a "normal" season).  But there's nothing here to "realize," just infinite room to speculate.

47 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think many people have actually seriously thought about a 162 game schedule with Renteria managing, especially with the way things were going.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic