2021 NHL Thread

soxfan49

This past season, there was nothing to cling to for Blackhawks fans. The tank was excruciating to watch. It was impossible to invest any emotion into a roster full of stopgaps and journeymen just passing through for a few months. There was no stability, no point, and there sure as hell was no hope. The only reason to watch was that you knew there were only so many games left to see Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews in a Blackhawks uniform, which only lent a touch of sadness to all the ambivalence. A return to contention seemed eons away. Heck, forget contention, Blackhawks fans would have gladly taken relevance. Interest. A reason to celebrate a win, to lament a loss, to give a damn about any of it.

Well, the wins and losses won’t really matter next season, either. But the games will matter. The moments will matter. The Blackhawks will be interesting. They’ll be exciting. They’ll be worth watching again. In time, yes, there might be parades and trophies and all that good stuff. But right now, this is what Bedard brings: a reason to care again. Throw in the first full season of Lukas Reichel — who had been the team’s top prospect on whom all these thin hopes were pinned, but who now only has to become Patrick Sharp rather than Patrick Kane — and maybe the first NHL season of defenseman Kevin Korchinski, and the future starts taking shape. It’s a little too neat and facile to put it this way, but it’s impossible not to think Bedard is the new Toews, and Korchinski is the new Duncan Keith— the two toughest spots to fill, No. 1 center and No. 1 defenseman. The tank is over. The way back has begun.

Good couple of paragraphs from Laz. 

Looking forward to at least having interest in turning on the Hawks next season

37 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Hall + Bailey for Bedard to play with. I like it.

I think it's really important for him to have some establish vets in the room from good organizations. Hall, Foligno, and now Bailey help that for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tony said:

Wow that came out of no where. 

A very polarizing owner. Did alot of good (basically brought this franchise back from the dead and ill always be grateful), but the Beach stuff and especially that outburst taints his legacy. 

I do wonder if we see a power struggle with the Wirtz family on who will own the team. I hope Rocky is giving his son Danny full control in his will or something. I know he and Peter were not seeing eye to eye on how to run the team (Peter sided more with his father Bill if I remember correctly and Rocky went a different direction thank god).

17 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Too bad it wasnt Jer.....eh forget it, cant wish that on anyone

I recently read Career Misconduct published many yrs ago about Dollar Bill and it was a total hatchet job on the entire Wirtz family esp Bill. It really opened my eyes about how crooked he was (although the author clearly was grinding an ax) 

• Love 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:16 PM, baseballgalaly said:

Rocky brought hockey back to Chicago, but his role in the Beach scandal can't(and shouldn't) be ignored. 

It's a complex legacy that is up to each individual to define for themselves as a Hawks fan.  

It's probably unfair and inaccurate to judge someone on their best, or worst, day. 

But for me, it takes a lot of really good days to make up for the Beach scandal. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:03 PM, SoxAce said:

A very polarizing owner. Did alot of good (basically brought this franchise back from the dead and ill always be grateful), but the Beach stuff and especially that outburst taints his legacy. 

I do wonder if we see a power struggle with the Wirtz family on who will own the team. I hope Rocky is giving his son Danny full control in his will or something. I know he and Peter were not seeing eye to eye on how to run the team (Peter sided more with his father Bill if I remember correctly and Rocky went a different direction thank god).

All true. This could be kind of reminiscent of the Comiskey family fighting after Charles died. 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/release-blackhawks-to-retire-chris-chelios-no-7-on-feb-25

Congrats to Chris Chelios. Very well deserved. The question will be now is Seabrook joining him? Cuz if anything he should be too.

Was at the PJ show tonight, very cool moment. But Seabrook should be up there too

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Was at the PJ show tonight, very cool moment. But Seabrook should be up there too

Starting to assume they'll retire his down the road since he's technically still "under contract" with the Lightning (similar to Hossa with the Coyotes). I thought they were just going to do a joint retirement like Pilote and Magnuson but they'll likely do it different this time.

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 3:09 PM, greg775 said:

Any chance the Hawks might win this year? Or are they still lousy?

No. They will be bad. But they will have a number of young players that should be major contributors to the next "great" team. And Bedard should give most fans a reason to watch every night. 

No captain this year for the Hawks. As it should be. In my opinion, pretty much all but confirmed Bedard will likely be the next captain as soon as next season. Hope the kid learns alot from Foligno in that regard as well as Murphy, Perry and Jones. This is his team and he is the franchise.

Edited by SoxAce

• bmags locked this topic