Predict the Lineup

Chicago White Sox

This is my guess for opening day. It's still pretty solid and downright good if Vaughn and Robert are as good as we hope.

Anderson

Eaton

Abreu

Moncada

Robert

Grandal

Vaughn

Garcia

Madrigal 

The biggest failing of Hahn is he seems to plan out who hes gonna have for each roster spot including the reserves with no wiggle room or backup plans. Having too many good players is always a good problem and Hahn is averse to that.

4 hours ago, joejoedairy said:

This is my guess for opening day. It's still pretty solid and downright good if Vaughn and Robert are as good as we hope.

Anderson

Eaton

Abreu

Moncada

Robert

Grandal

Vaughn

Garcia

Madrigal 

The biggest failing of Hahn is he seems to plan out who hes gonna have for each roster spot including the reserves with no wiggle room or backup plans. Having too many good players is always a good problem and Hahn is averse to that.

I think it’s more Jerry’s budget is adverse to that.

Anderson 6

Eaton 9

Abreu 3

Moncada 5

Robert 8

Grandal DH

Vaughn 7

Lucroy 2

Madrigal 4

Or 

Anderson 6

Eaton 9

Abreu 3

Moncada 5

Robert 8

Grandal 2

Vaughn 7

Collins DH

Madrigal 4

Depending on if Grandal is ready to catch. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Revised predictions:

vs RHP: Anderson 6, Grandal 2, Abreu 3, Moncada 5, Robert 8, Eaton 9, Vaughn 7, Collins DH, Madrigal 4

vs LHP: Anderson 6, Grandal 2, Abreu 3, Moncada 5, Robert 8, Vaughn DH, Eaton 9 (until Engel is back), Madrigal 4, Garcia 7

Once Engel can play, Grandal can catch, and assuming they go "internal" for LF, I'd go this route:

RHP 1. Anderson SS2. Eaton^ RF3. Abreu 1B4. Moncada* 3B; 5. Grandal* C; 6. Robert CF7. Collins^/Vaughn DH8. Vaughn/Engel LF9. Madrigal 2B

LHP 1. Anderson SS; 2. Grandal* C3. Abreu 1B4. Moncada* 3B5. Robert CF6. Vaughn DH7. Engel RF; 8. Garcia# LF9. Madrigal 2B

I fear Lucroy playing 60 + games, Collins getting snubbed, Vaughn being overwhelmed if near everyday LF.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

So after the new development, something close to this?:

vs RHP

Anderson SS

Eaton RF

Abreu 1B

Moncada 3B

Grandal C

Vaughn LF

Robert CF

Collins DH

Madrigal 2B

vs LHP (until Engel returns)

Anderson SS

Madrigal 2B

Abreu 1B

Moncada 3B

Grandal C

Vaughn LF

Robert CF

Yermin DH

Eaton RF

Edit: man I miss plugging Eloy in the 4 spot.

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, manbearpuig said:

So after the new development, something close to this?:

vs RHP

Anderson SS

Eaton RF

Abreu 1B

Moncada 3B

Grandal C

Vaughn LF

Robert CF

Collins DH

Madrigal 2B

vs LHP (until Engel returns)

Anderson SS

Madrigal 2B

Abreu 1B

Moncada 3B

Grandal C

Vaughn LF

Robert CF

Yermin DH

Eaton RF

I think you forgot to put Yermin in the 4 hole

If yermin is on the roster you definitely have to DH him against LHP, you are not carrying him as a third catcher but as a DH/emergency catcher. 

That would mean that they are probably serious about trying Vaughn in LF. 

Once Engel comes back l think yermin gets send down, yermin is a better hitter than Engel but Engel is acceptable  against LHP and provides a huge defensive upgrade over Vaughn in left. 

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

If yermin is on the roster you definitely have to DH him against LHP, you are not carrying him as a third catcher but as a DH/emergency catcher. 

Once Engel comes back l think yermin gets send down, yermin is a better hitter than Engel but Engel is acceptable  against LHP and provides a huge defensive upgrade over Vaughn in left. 

Nah. Billy Hamilton will be gone. TLR basically said today they need three catchers because 1 is going to be at DH most days. I don’t see this as a short term thing as long as Yermin hits. Which wilL be interesting to see. 

IMO..

Vaughn is short, slow, cannot throw, and has no experience playing left field. He should never be out there. 

Leury makes sense until Engel retiurns. He has speed., a strong arm, and can track fly balls.

When Eloy returns he is the starting LFer.  Telling Eloy he is stupid and because of that he is now relegated to DH is the last thing he needs to hear right now.

He wants to prove he can play LF and wants to start.  Forcing him to do what he doesn't want to do (full time DHing) could have a ripple effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tray said:

IMO..

Vaughn is short, slow, cannot throw, and has no experience playing left field. He should never be out there. 

Leury makes sense until Engel retiurns. He has speed., a strong arm, and can track fly balls.

When Eloy returns he is the starting LFer.  Telling Eloy he is stupid and because of that he is now relegated to DH is the last thing he needs to hear right now.

He wants to prove he can play LF and wants to start.  Forcing him to do what he doesn't want to do (full time DHing) could have a ripple effect.

Yah, but it doesn't take being a rocket scientist to figure out that isn't their plan.  Mercedes makes no sense on this roster if Collins isn't DHing regularly.  Collins isn't DHing regularly if Vaughn isn't in LF.  The only fit for Lamb on this roster is playing against RHP which he traditionally has hit quite well.  Leury and Engel both suck balls at hitting RHP.  If their plan was to run Engel/Leury out in LF most days against RHP, Lamb makes absolutely zero sense as a part of this roster.  And then we have the fact that Vaughn has played exclusively LF since Eloy got hurt.  Vaughn may not be in LF everyday, but I think he's going to at the very least be out there against LHP.  

I also don't understand where this Vaughn cannot throw stuff comes from.  Wasn't he a reliever in college?  Have to imagine he can throw a bit unless he had a shoulder injury or something.  

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, but it doesn't take being a rocket scientist to figure out that isn't their plan.  Mercedes makes no sense on this roster if Collins isn't DHing regularly.  Collins isn't DHing regularly if Vaughn isn't in LF.  The only fit for Lamb on this roster is playing against RHP which he traditionally has hit quite well.  Leury and Engel both suck balls at hitting RHP.  If their plan was to run Engel/Leury out in LF most days against RHP, Lamb makes absolutely zero sense as a part of this roster.  And then we have the fact that Vaughn has played exclusively LF since Eloy got hurt.  Vaughn may not be in LF everyday, but I think he's going to at the very least be out there against LHP.  

I also don't understand where this Vaughn cannot throw stuff comes from.  Wasn't he a reliever in college?  Have to imagine he can throw a bit unless he had a shoulder injury or something.  

Vaughn actually should play LF against RHP. Leury is better against LHP (like Engel) so it makes sense to play him against LHP because likely his defense is better and Vaughn should be decent against RHP too. 

And against RHP you play Vaughn in LF to get collins into the lineup. 

So lefty pitcher vaughn+leury at DH and LF and righty pitcher Collins+vaughn

Regarding the throwing Vaughn doesn't have a terrible arm but he is not trained to run a "banana route"  and use a crow hop. Maybe he can learn that but it also means taking some extra steps which he might not have the speed to do so (he might use a more direct route to get to more balls which means he doesn't have as much momentum as when he runs an arc towards home plate. 

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Vaughn actually should play LF against RHP. Leury is better against LHP (like Engel) so it makes sense to play him against LHP because likely his defense is better and Vaughn should be decent against RHP too. 

And against RHP you play Vaughn in LF to get collins into the lineup. 

So lefty pitcher vaughn+leury at DH and LF and righty pitcher Collins+vaughn

Regarding the throwing Vaughn doesn't have a terrible arm but he is not trained to run a "banana route"  and use a crow hop. Maybe he can learn that but it also means taking some extra steps which he might not have the speed to do so (he might use a more direct route to get to more balls which means he doesn't have as much momentum as when he runs an arc towards home plate. 

Yeah. I had a brain fart when typing that message but based on the context of my paragraph I clearly meant RHP. I had just said Leury/Engel suck at hitting RHP. 

And I’m not too concerned about Vaughn “learning” how to crow hop. 

Edited by ChiSox59

8 hours ago, tray said:

IMO..

He's a rookie. He's never going to say he doesn't want to do something. He will be happy to be in the majors and not screwed by service time manipulation.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, Dominikk85 said:

My take is that Vaughn will not often play LF when the Sox start a LHP.  Mercedes has been scuffling. 

1 minute ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Jesus’s he’s smarter than you. Accept it

Yes, it's brilliant to have a guy on the team because he's so good you can't play service time games with him and risk losing games because of his lost value.... only to sit that player on the bench opening day. Brilliant stuff. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, it's brilliant to have a guy on the team because he's so good you can't play service time games with him and risk losing games because of his lost value.... only to sit that player on the bench opening day. Brilliant stuff. 

Yep well if you or your opinions were valuable I’m sure you wouldn’t be complaining on an online forum