Why are there no LH throwing catchers?

joejoesox

The last one in the majors was in 1989.  There doesn't seem to be a real consensus on why exactly all catchers throw right handed, but I have a theory.  It's because of a few things:

Most people are right handed. This is the largest pool of players (obviously)

If you're left handed, and can hit, you'll always find somewhere to play. 

If you can't hit, next in line would be to become a pitcher because of the inherent value in LHP.  Even if you aren't great, these guys still manage to get drafted.  Lefty pitchers are a massive premium in baseball.

If you're right handed, and can hit, generally you'll find a position to play.  If you can't hit, and you can't pitch, you're gonna be blocked by a lot of guys (due to being in a much larger pool of righties) unless you learn how to catch.

So basically it boils down to there being more righties than lefties, and catcher being the least desirable position to play

What do you think?

Edited by joesaiditstrue

“Left-handed throws to second base are adversely affected by right-handed hitters. Controlling the running game is important, and the majority of plate appearances come with a right-hander at the plate. So the assumption is that “throwing through the batter” negatively affects the catcher's accuracy.”

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“Left-handed throws to second base are adversely affected by right-handed hitters. Controlling the running game is important, and the majority of plate appearances come with a right-hander at the plate. So the assumption is that “throwing through the batter” negatively affects the catcher's accuracy.”

Read the rest of the article.  😂

4 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

Without reading the article, just throwing to 3B on a steal attempt and having to turn your body is enough reason to not have a lefty catcher.

Not to mention having to take the mitt off your left hand and transfer the ball to it Jim Abbott-style before throwing. Guys would be stealing all day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

The last one in the majors was in 1989.  There doesn't seem to be a real consensus on why exactly all catchers throw right handed, but I have a theory.  It's because of a few things:

Most people are right handed. This is the largest pool of players (obviously)

If you're left handed, and can hit, you'll always find somewhere to play. 

If you can't hit, next in line would be to become a pitcher because of the inherent value in LHP.  Even if you aren't great, these guys still manage to get drafted.  Lefty pitchers are a massive premium in baseball.

If you're right handed, and can hit, generally you'll find a position to play.  If you can't hit, and you can't pitch, you're gonna be blocked by a lot of guys (due to being in a much larger pool of righties) unless you learn how to catch.

So basically it boils down to there being more righties than lefties, and catcher being the least desirable position to play

What do you think?

So I was moved off of catcher at a very young age - because as a lefty - my throw is impacted when a righty is in a box. For a right handed catcher - the same holds true when a lefty is in the box (ie. it is more difficult).  The problem is - majority of MLB hitters are righty (or at least were back in the day - not sure how the trend has shifted) and thus - left handed catchers just didn't exist because a righty has a leg up at throwing guys out a 2B.

The one question I have is - with stolen bases going the way of the dodo bird - does that mean you might see more left handed catchers emerge?  My guess is still no - because base stealing is still pretty prolific at the college and little league levels.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

So I was moved off of catcher at a very young age - because as a lefty - my throw is impacted when a righty is in a box. For a right handed catcher - the same holds true when a lefty is in the box (ie. it is more difficult).  The problem is - majority of MLB hitters are righty (or at least were back in the day - not sure how the trend has shifted) and thus - left handed catchers just didn't exist because a righty has a leg up at throwing guys out a 2B.

The one question I have is - with stolen bases going the way of the dodo bird - does that mean you might see more left handed catchers emerge?  My guess is still no - because base stealing is still pretty prolific at the college and little league levels.  

I'm left handed and when my little league coach asked if I'd play catcher my parents said that would be great as long as the team was buying the catcher's mitt since they provided one for the right handed catchers and that was the end of that discussion.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

14 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I'm left handed and when my little league coach asked if I'd play catcher my parents said that would be great as long as the team was buying the catcher's mitt since they provided one for the right handed catchers and that was the end of that discussion.

LOL - That is a good point too.  Cause my parents wouldn't have bought one at the age I was at. When I was moved off - it was still at the point where most of the kids didn't even have catcher's gloves (even though kids were pitching).  Its funny - cause my 6 year old plays Pony and they already have catcher's glove despite the fact that it is machine pitch and catcher is still set pretty far off the plate due to some kids having bats fly out of there hands, etc still at this age.  Although this summer he is doing some tourneys with Pony (against other cities) and some of these teams have catchers that are already catching everything out of the machine (which is pretty impressive for 5-6 year olds).  

But I won't have that problem - my son is lefty and he never ever ever wants to play catcher (which is a good call - it is such a brutal position).  

20 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

the MLB.com article from February dispels some of the things you mentioned, at least they were convincing enough to me

https://www.mlb.com/news/why-there-are-no-left-handed-catchers-in-mlb

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Edited by joejoesox

On 7/1/2021 at 10:05 AM, Chisoxfn said:

Base stealing is BACK...as of last year.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

I just wanted to play shortstop, man. One time. 70% of the kids can't throw it across the infield anyway, who cares if I have to turn my body? The last game before high school the coach let me play second base. Jerk.

Edited by nrockway