2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

44 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If we do go college arm I like Justin Campbell. Big tall kid at 6’7 with a deceptive arm motion. Stuff isn’t jaw dropping but the changeup is a very nice pitch already. Curve could use some work, but it’s not bad. Probably need to cleanup the weird glove dip he does in his windup but everything else about his delivery is clean. 

Reminds me so much of Giolito

21 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Jones has been streaky and the track record on Stanford hitters is pretty bad.  He does hit lefty.  I could see it, but I think both Gilbert and Beavers are ahead of him.  I bet he goes comp/early 2nd.

I don’t think the Sox pick him, just that I like him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Law has his final mock out.  https://theathletic.com/3427466/2022/07/16/mlb-mock-draft-2022-final/

In his take, Sox draft Snelling, but he's also heard a lot of Hjerpe, which I would not be a fan of, especially if Prielipp is still on the board.

26. Chicago White Sox: Robby Snelling, LHP, McQueen High (Reno, Nev.)
I have had some sources say they think Snelling is gone before this pick, but there aren’t that many teams willing to take a high school arm in the top 20. The Padres, the Mets, the Angels … that’s it for teams that are clearly open to the general idea, as opposed to just liking one particular prep arm. I’ve heard the White Sox a lot with Snelling, and a lot with Hjerpe (which could very well just be because they’ve taken a lot of college arms with unusual deliveries, from Chris Sale to Carson Fulmer).

Hopefully it's the bolded part.

31 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Hopefully it's the bolded part.

I mean that’s from two scouting directors ago.

Shirley had gone after pretty athletic or physical pitchers in Thompson, dalquist, kelly, Burke, macdougal. Not sure any of those guys have an unorthodox delivery. I know crochet will be thrown at me.

This is where Sox rumors are hard for me to trust from national writers. The Sox don’t have organizational philosophies, the people in the positions do. 

• Like 2

Ok so I think of the rumored pitchers I think Whisenhunt seems the most likely Sox pick, but I do like Snelling most personally as a prospect.

If I’m overseeing broader Sox minor leagues, I’d go Whisenhunt. 

Snelling reminds me a lot of Blake Walston coming out who I was a big fan of. He’s getting hit around a bit in AA but I would love if we had a guy like that. Walston was also a QB with a nice curve coming out.

Of hitters, I’m still hoping for Delauter falling. Am intrigued by Thucker Tholbert. Would defend Gilbert. 

That Susac one Id like just because we don’t have anything like that. I’m ok with chasing power in this draft. I also like Meltons Law write up but haven’t seen much of him to Sox.

• Like 1

I like Campbell.  I love the frame, delivery, ease of effort, secondaries (especially ability to spin) and the strike throwing. It's easy to dream that 90-94 will be 92-96. I like Preillip and Whisenhunt but I think they'll both be gone.  I'm out on Tidwell, Hjerpe and Hughes and don't like the idea of underslotting a guy like Bennett or Harington. 

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I like Campbell.  I love the frame, delivery, ease of effort, secondaries (especially ability to spin) and the strike throwing. It's easy to dream that 90-94 will be 92-96. I like Preillip and Whisenhunt but I think they'll both be gone.  I'm out on Tidwell, Hjerpe and Hughes and don't like the idea of underslotting a guy like Bennett or Harington. 

I’ve heard Cubs are trying to get Whisenhunt to drop to their 2nd pick.  Might take Neto to save money.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

This is where Sox rumors are hard for me to trust from national writers. The Sox don’t have organizational philosophies, the people in the positions do. 

This is what I don't understand.  In the NFL and NBA, the GM makes the draft pick (based on work by scouts, et al).     The implication here is that the scouting director makes the pick.  Seems weird. 
Anyway, the Sox drafted a pure reliever and a likely reliever under Hostetler (although some attribute Fulmer to Lauman) and a likely reliever under Shirley.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

I’ve heard Cubs are trying to get Whisenhunt to drop to their 2nd pick.  Might take Neto to save money.

If I was a team like the cubs I’d rather just try to trade for a comp pick to get that budget.

4 hours ago, GreenSox said:

This is what I don't understand.  In the NFL and NBA, the GM makes the draft pick (based on work by scouts, et al).     The implication here is that the scouting director makes the pick.  Seems weird. 
Anyway, the Sox drafted a pure reliever and a likely reliever under Hostetler (although some attribute Fulmer to Lauman) and a likely reliever under Shirley.

It's different from team to team but for the most part the GM has the 1st pick then the SD takes over from there.  Then of course there's AJ Preller who makes the first 10 picks then will let the SD give some input on the rest.  

17 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's different from team to team but for the most part the GM has the 1st pick then the SD takes over from there.  Then of course there's AJ Preller who makes the first 10 picks then will let the SD give some input on the rest.  

Of course Preller spent a lot of time in the weeds (v. Sox GM who, well, didn't). 
I always like listening to the late rounds of the draft; remarkable how fast it goes. A pick every 20 seconds or so.

Ok after finally reading all the paragraph blurbs that are exclusively what I base my opinions on I have decided I don’t actually know which way I’d go in this draft at all.

I am kinda more sympathetic to the heavy pitching draft. Tolman/Anthony seems difficult for where they are pitching wise in the org.