Cubs dismantled. Sox reign in Chicago.

hankchifan

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When their pitching got old, they couldn't even make the playoffs. 

Only year they tried to make postseason and didn’t was 2019, and they missed it because they stopped hitting the last two weeks of the season

16 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Cubs were dismantled and downgraded to a AAA team today.  Sad for a major market.  All their current major stars are gone, on top of Darvish, Schwarber,Caratini at the beginning of the season.  If I were a Cub fan, I would not be happy as they had a core group that could have contended, if the Cubs would have kept Darvish and invested in quality starting pitching.  Their starters this season were pretty bad.  All excitement in Chicago now belongs to the Sox.  Let’s take advantage and take over Chicago baseball. Sox reign!

That team wouldn’t contend. There was too much money to be spent , and that doesn’t happen unless the team already won recently. They aren’t going to spend like the Dodgers.  I am  not so sure about the fan unhappiness about the direction the team is taking. Sure maybe casual fans. The hardcore is different.  Were devoted Sox fans upset when we pulled the plug on the Sale Quintana era? I was kind of elated after I knew for sure that team would just be tread-milling to infinity and beyond (as usual). It’s slightly different too in that the Cubs already used this strategy once to win a world series. Most Cubs fans understand the deal. The ones that don’t are player fans. The laundry fans are probably cool with it. Lots of fun to be dreaming on a loaded farm system too. I had my fun watching the Sox build myself. What it amounts to is setting a solid course rather than wandering aimlessly through mediocrity.  That can be comforting. Cubs fans go to the park to eat hot dogs, enjoy the neighborhood  and look at the ivy  as much as the game anyway. 

15 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Cubs "dynasty" lasted shorter than the Seahawks "dynasty"

Really shows you how hard it is to win a single title

We thought in 2006 getting Thome the Sox would be world beaters.  World Series dynasties don't exist anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

To steal a joke from the Athletic comments:  “I just drove by Wrigley and they were hanging a “Spirit Halloween” banner on it”

Cubs are now basically a big party and beer fest team, not a contending team.  They will have to watch out for the pandemic cutting back on crowds/parties.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Only year they tried to make postseason and didn’t was 2019, and they missed it because they stopped hitting the last two weeks of the season

2018 felt more like the gut punch year after all that early success in the front half of the window from 2015-17.  Then they went the following four years without a single post-season win.  Feels the same way for Sox, have to do their damage these next three post-seasons, with 2024 perhaps the final season of AL Central dominance.

They lost to the Brewers in a 163rd game to determine the Central Division champions, failing in their quest to win the division for a third consecutive year. Instead, they hosted the Wild Card Game against the Colorado Rockies, but the Cubs lost 2–1 in 13 innings.”

10 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Me thinks many disillusioned cub fans thought Ricketts was going to buy whatever talent needed to keep winning. And that cost was never ever an issue. Turns out Tom wasnt the cash cow w unlimited spending many thought he was

Rickets bailed out after the pandemic cut back his revenues, and is counting on the party crowd to show up regardless of the product on the field.  I think Marquee network audience will come down though.

14 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Me thinks many disillusioned cub fans thought Ricketts was going to buy whatever talent needed to keep winning. And that cost was never ever an issue. Turns out Tom wasnt the cash cow w unlimited spending many thought he was

The complicated purchase structure and MLB rules on debt and spending are killing the Cubs.

15 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

But that is a fantasy more than it ever existed anywhere. Unless a team is able to maintain in the win-loss column, 99% of the time every team starts cutting back. I would never defend a guy like Ricketts, but I can see that he is a typical owner, even a typical big market owner. The Dodgers are playing with lottery money from TV right now. But they good too.

59 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

That team wouldn’t contend. There was too much money to be spent , and that doesn’t happen unless the team already won recently. They aren’t going to spend like the Dodgers.  I am  not so sure about the fan unhappiness about the direction the team is taking. Sure maybe casual fans. The hardcore is different.  Were devoted Sox fans upset when we pulled the plug on the Sale Quintana era? I was kind of elated after I knew for sure that team would just be tread-milling to infinity and beyond (as usual). It’s slightly different too in that the Cubs already used this strategy once to win a world series. Most Cubs fans understand the deal. The ones that don’t are player fans. The laundry fans are probably cool with it. Lots of fun to be dreaming on a loaded farm system too. I had my fun watching the Sox build myself. What it amounts to is setting a solid course rather than wandering aimlessly through mediocrity.  That can be comforting. Cubs fans go to the park to eat hot dogs, enjoy the neighborhood  and look at the ivy  as much as the game anyway. 

Cubs can get away with rebuild and still get fans in the party park.  But the Sox can’t. Sox need to put a good product on the field to get the big crowds.

40 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Cubs can get away with rebuild and still get fans in the party park.  But the Sox can’t. Sox need to put a good product on the field to get the big crowds.

Many things about the new USA (world) confuse and irritate me, many I can't go there or I'll be suspended on here. But one of them is tanking. 

Have fun Cubs fans getting tanked on beer at beautiful, gorgeous, cathedral-like Wrigley Field the next many years as you lose between 95 games in a good year and 105 in an exceedingly bad tank job year. Many tank jobs pay off with a couple division titles and one WS title maybe when nobody can prove whether you'd have grabbed a title anyway minus the tanking (the Sixers tank job in basketball still hasn't culminated in a title, but could).

Tanking is for bars and county fairs and after football practice in 110 degree heat. Give me the old fashioned way of building a winner, baby. Not that I care about the Cubs. Always thought the old Comiskey was better than Wrigley anyway.

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Many things about the new USA (world) confuse and irritate me, many I can't go there or I'll be suspended on here. But one of them is tanking. 

Have fun Cubs fans getting tanked on beer at beautiful, gorgeous, cathedral-like Wrigley Field the next many years as you lose between 95 games in a good year and 105 in an exceedingly bad tank job year. Many tank jobs pay off with a couple division titles and one WS title maybe when nobody can prove whether you'd have grabbed a title anyway minus the tanking (the Sixers tank job in basketball still hasn't culminated in a title, but could).

Tanking is for bars and county fairs and after football practice in 110 degree heat. Give me the old fashioned way of building a winner, baby. Not that I care about the Cubs. Always thought the old Comiskey was better than Wrigley anyway.

My dad was a Yankee fan and he enjoyed watching the Cubs.  I've been to Wrigley more than the Cell.  It is a nice place to watch baseball.  The great thing about the Cell is the neighborhood is much better.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The complicated purchase structure and MLB rules on debt and spending are killing the Cubs.

I don't fully know the rules, but lucky for us the Cubs were bought by a cash poor owner.

Imagine if Cuban bought them?  They'd be spending like LA. 

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

My dad was a Yankee fan and he enjoyed watching the Cubs.  I've been to Wrigley more than the Cell.  It is a nice place to watch baseball.  The great thing about the Cell is the neighborhood is much better.   

I did not know Wrigley was a bad neighborhood now. Interesting.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

When I was a kid Wrigley was just another ballpark and no one said what a great place it was. It was no better than Ebbets Field, The Polo Grounds, Comiskey Park, Griffith Stadium, Fenway, Crosley Field, Forbes Field, Tiger Stadium or Yankee Stadium. What all those parks had in common was that they were all unique in their own way and often built to fit in the confines of the city blocks they fit in. The only thing about Wrigley and Fenway is that they are old and still with us but were no better than any other ballpark to watch a ballgame. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

4 hours ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Did the Cubs go to shit after Zobrist left, or is it just me?

Blame it all on Juliana Zobrist.

Cubs are now going to have to decide what they want to do with Contreras and Hendricks…neither player at this stage in their careers (especially with catchers wearing down in early 30’s) are worth devoting long-term contracts to when the immediate trade return in the offseason from contenders should be greater.