White Sox playoff position tracker

Balta1701

4 hours ago, asindc said:

The Sox did not “blow off” games, they just simply prioritized getting and staying healthy over HFA.

I hear what you're saying.....you're right, they did just simply prioritize staying healthy over HFA. But I think then you are playing with semantics a bit in saying they didn't "blow off" games. Any game where Goodwin is hitting 5th and Mendick and Zavala are both in the lineup.......yeah, you are blowing that game off. Not saying they are "trying" to lose it. But you are blowing it off because putting a lineup out there like that is saying you could care less whether you win that game or not. And that is the definition of "blowing off."

48 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I hear what you're saying.....you're right, they did just simply prioritize staying healthy over HFA. But I think then you are playing with semantics a bit in saying they didn't "blow off" games. Any game where Goodwin is hitting 5th and Mendick and Zavala are both in the lineup.......yeah, you are blowing that game off. Not saying they are "trying" to lose it. But you are blowing it off because putting a lineup out there like that is saying you could care less whether you win that game or not. And that is the definition of "blowing off."

Fair enough.  Just saying there was some method to the madness.

• Like 1

God, trying to time travel around playoff games is so stressful. I live in Baltimore and was planning to go to a game in Houston then Chicago, for weeks this was the plan, so my friend got a ticket for ALDS Game 2 in Houston and I got one for Game 1 in Chicago (meaning, series games 2 and 3), and I am flying from BWI (where I live) > HOU > MDW then back home to BWI. Easy right?

Okay but what if the Sox overtake Houston for the 2 seed, which they suddenly are making look possible, then the game starts in Chicago. Fuck. This means I'm going to Game 1 in Chicago, then Game 4 (if there is a game 4) in Houston. Gotta get a whole different set of flights for that. BWI > MDW > HOU > BWI (and what if it's a series sweep? now I need to fly home from Chicago instead of Houston). So my account is sitting here with a bunch of confirmations so I am not booking expensive flights last minute and I'm gonna cancel half them as soon as I see the seeding. At least booking with points makes it easy to cancel flights but still.

Oh and on top of that I absent-mindedly bought ALCS tickets lmao. That is a problem for next week I guess. Worst case scenario I can flip those, I guess.

9/30:

Tampa Bay beat Houston last night to clinch the #1 seed. Houston waits until at least Friday to clinch their division and is now 1.5 ahead of the Sox for the #2 seed.

A win by Toronto over New York, as well as wins by Boston and Seattle, have tightened up the wild card race even more. New York now 1 game up on Boston, who is 0.5 game up on Seattle and 1 up on Toronto. Oakland was eliminated with their loss to Seattle.

In the National League, Atlanta now up 4.5 over Philadelphia in the East and clinches today with a win. San Francisco and Los Angeles both win to keep the Giants 2 clear of the Dodgers in the NL West.

Key early week series wrapping up today: Boston at Baltimore, NY Yankees at Toronto, Philadelphia at Atlanta, Tampa Bay at Houston, Arizona at San Francisco, San Diego at LA Dodgers.

16 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

Here's my way of looking at HFA for a 5 game series:

If a series only goes 3 games, it was an ass kicking and HFA probably had nothing to do with it.

If a series goes 4 games, both teams had two home games so HFA definitely had nothing to do with it.

Only if a series goes 5 games does HFA come into play. Since 2012 that has happened 16 times out of 36 series. So a little less than half the time it even comes into play. But here is the kicker-in the 16 times it has come into play, the team with HFA has only won 6 of those 16 series.

So- why worry?

I like your thinking.

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So if Houston loses the next 4 games and Seattle wins the next 3 games, there would be a tie in the AL West. However, Houston won the season series so what happens there?

Seattle at Houston Monday for the NL West title. I don't see it happening though. Oakland has nothing to play for.

15 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So if Houston loses the next 4 games and Seattle wins the next 3 games, there would be a tie in the AL West. However, Houston won the season series so what happens there?

Since that would be for the division, there would be a playin game for the division and that game would have priority over any wild card games or tiebreakers.

7 hours ago, lostfan said:

God, trying to time travel around playoff games is so stressful. I live in Baltimore and was planning to go to a game in Houston then Chicago, for weeks this was the plan, so my friend got a ticket for ALDS Game 2 in Houston and I got one for Game 1 in Chicago (meaning, series games 2 and 3), and I am flying from BWI (where I live) > HOU > MDW then back home to BWI. Easy right?

Okay but what if the Sox overtake Houston for the 2 seed, which they suddenly are making look possible, then the game starts in Chicago. Fuck. This means I'm going to Game 1 in Chicago, then Game 4 (if there is a game 4) in Houston. Gotta get a whole different set of flights for that. BWI > MDW > HOU > BWI (and what if it's a series sweep? now I need to fly home from Chicago instead of Houston). So my account is sitting here with a bunch of confirmations so I am not booking expensive flights last minute and I'm gonna cancel half them as soon as I see the seeding. At least booking with points makes it easy to cancel flights but still.

Oh and on top of that I absent-mindedly bought ALCS tickets lmao. That is a problem for next week I guess. Worst case scenario I can flip those, I guess.

not to mention trying to anticipate game times.  If Friday in Houston is a day game you can fly out that evening.  Night game and it’s a Saturday flight 

10 hours ago, lostfan said:

Touche.  I don't live in Chicago and bought tickets for ALCS home games 2,3,4.  It could be as simple as Tue, Wed (games 3 and 4) against the Rays, or if anyone else game 2 one Saturday, and games 6 and 7 (if necessary) the following Fri/Sat.

Just not going to worry about flights until I at least know the opponent.  My dad and I couldn't get tickets to sox home game 1 (game 3 if Rays, game 1 if someone else), despite trying very hard.  If we're going to be in Chicago anyway, we'll want to go.  So if anyone is selling tickets to Sox home game, shoot a PM.  Interested. 

Of course, none of this could matter, but I am not entertaining that possibility.  Not one bit! 

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Touche.  I don't live in Chicago and bought tickets for ALCS home games 2,3,4.  It could be as simple as Tue, Wed (games 3 and 4) against the Rays, or if anyone else game 2 one Saturday, and games 6 and 7 (if necessary) the following Fri/Sat.

Just not going to worry about flights until I at least know the opponent.  My dad and I couldn't get tickets to sox home game 1 (game 3 if Rays, game 1 if someone else), despite trying very hard.  If we're going to be in Chicago anyway, we'll want to go.  So if anyone is selling tickets to Sox home game, shoot a PM.  Interested. 

Of course, none of this could matter, but I am not entertaining that possibility.  Not one bit! 

My thinking here was it was easier to book the flight now since I can cancel it in a few days anyway (I used points, they all get refunded back immediately). But yeah ALCS, no idea who the opponent is gonna even be yet, it's gonna be short notice no matter what.