AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

The only one that has been consistently better than Kimbrel is Crochet. 

The catcher blocking a pitch in the dirt and CF making a play he is expected to and it is a sweep and great weekend for Kimbrel.  

Wonder if Sox sloppy defense will be a playoff highlight.

12 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The only one that has been consistently better than Kimbrel is Crochet. 

The catcher blocking a pitch in the dirt and CF making a play he is expected to and it is a sweep and great weekend for Kimbrel.  

Like I said the other day, if everyone else does their job, no one is talking about Kimbrel.  Sure you want him to pitch over it, but in the major leagues if you give teams extra outs and bases, you will get beaten.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like I said the other day, if everyone else does their job, no one is talking about Kimbrel.  Sure you want him to pitch over it, but in the major leagues if you give teams extra outs and bases, you will get beaten.

After watching the games this weekend, I genuinely wonder if "Hey can our catchers actually block this guy's breaking ball" is a question they asked when they made that trade? I certainly never considered it as something that could be this much of a specific weakness. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

After watching the games this weekend, I genuinely wonder if "Hey can our catchers actually block this guy's breaking ball" is a question they asked when they made that trade? I certainly never considered it as something that could be this much of a specific weakness. 

It is a factor.  McCann would have been a much better fit. But also what is hurting Kimbrel are the walks.  You can’t afford walks in late relief close games, particularly the dreaded lead off walk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Should Luis have caught that fly ball?  I wasn't in a good position to see it.  It looked like he may have misread it.  Anyone else have a better angle?  I havent seen the tv replay.  Fegan's article today made it seem like Luis should make that play.

It was more of a hard hit line drive than a fly ball.  I think he misjudged how hard it was hit and it got by him.  Should have made the play but it was not a give me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Should Luis have caught that fly ball?  I wasn't in a good position to see it.  It looked like he may have misread it.  Anyone else have a better angle?  I havent seen the tv replay.  Fegan's article today made it seem like Luis should make that play.

It hit the wall right near me. I saw him pull up as he was running towards us like he didn't want to hit the wall. My thought was "good the Sox need him injuring himself right before the playoffs"  Could he have caught it? Maybe. But right now I would prefer he err on the side of safety.

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don’t understand why the Sox would want to pick up Kimbrel’s option, unless they have a set trade partner. Can’t risk tying up yet another $16M on an older player, as a set up reliever/Liam insurance, with far more important holes to fill (SP, RF, likely 2B).

IN other words it was a terrible trade, unless Sox wins World Series with Kimbrel’s help, like Chapman rental did for theCubs.  Would at a very high price though.

17 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

He definitely misread it.  He came over and didn't recognize its carry until it was too late.  If he gets a good read, he makes an easy play.  Was a line drive that was hit harder than he realized.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

This is one of the more ridiculous “winner” threads I’ve ever seen.  Glad we won another series against a likely playoff team.  Most importantly, glad to see our starters come off the IL with solid performances. I was really worried about Rodon in particular.

Soxtalk takes positives for granted and negatives do not escape its wrath.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He definitely misread it.  He came over and didn't recognize its carry until it was too late.  If he gets a good read, he makes an easy play.  Was a line drive that was hit harder than he realized.

I have come to expect Luis to make all the plays so I was surprised he did not make it...but that ball was crushed and that is on Kimbrel.

I was just remembering how much trouble Luis had with walls late last season...he is still just so young and will continue to get better out there which is scary for the rest of the league.

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It hit the wall right near me. I saw him pull up as he was running towards us like he didn't want to hit the wall. My thought was "good the Sox need him injuring himself right before the playoffs"  Could he have caught it? Maybe. But right now I would prefer he err on the side of safety.

I think your angle was off.  He was not near the wall.  He cut straight across and overran it.  He needed to go back and over a little.  Easy for me to say.  

The ball seemed to have been hit really hard but he seemed to just play it wrong. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Fuck Nick Swisher and right now fuck Kimbrel and Hahn for bringing that garbage over here when it was far from even a huge need.

Who are the relievers that you recall being good around July 31st? 

You cannot have enough quality bullpen arms.  The Sox have built a pen that is deep and realistically could have guys pitch every other day without a worry.  This structure has allowed them to have pitchers only go 4 to 6 innings a game and still save their pen. 

It was as big a need as any then.  Please do not tell me Codi Heuer was they guy to rely on with Evan Marshall. 

Was RF a bigger need, probably but if you were getting Gallo this board would be more a of a dumpster fire over him they it is over Kimbrel. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think your angle was off.  He was not near the wall.  He cut straight across and overran it.  He needed to go back and over a little.  Easy for me to say.  

The ball seemed to have been hit really hard but he seemed to just play it wrong. 

This. He was straight away, and made a line straight across before turning into an L shaped route.  If he gets the right angle, Luis is there.

4 hours ago, hankchifan said:

It was more of a hard hit line drive than a fly ball.  I think he misjudged how hard it was hit and it got by him.  Should have made the play but it was not a give me.

That ball sailed a bit but he took a bad angle. Stop with the showboating Lu. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Sheeesh! So Robert misplayed a ball. Maybe some of the old(er) timers here can recall better, but as I remember, even Willie - By Gawd - Mays misplayed a few. Gasp! 

This and especially on a line drive which are misjudged often plus there's wind, sun, sky and the type of spin on the ball hit at high velocity that affects how it carries or slices . Everyone expects way too much from outfielders. Blaming Robert when Kimbrel was once against terrible is just poor judgement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

He wasn't near the wall but if he continued at full speed to get to it, he would have. That's why he pulled up so his momentum wouldn't have taken him into it.