The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Here is a good example of the little guy getting crushed.  You think this guy wasn't happy to get a $130k raise?  What exactly are these negotiations (at this point) doing to help a player like this?  

Yeah it's a shame the MLBPA doesn't cover the minor leaguers like this. I don't know what a minimum pay should be for them but I don't think it would have to be 6 figures.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

He wouldn't have gotten this raise.

The deal offered yesterday by the MLB/owners was a significant step in the right direction for a player like this.  SO yes, he would have gotten the raise if the PA agreed to it and he actually played in the bigs.  Now he gets paid nothing, can't work and is driving uber while the uber-wealthy Max Scherezer's of the league are arguing for higher CBT thresholds so his $43.3M AAV contact can become more commonplace.  

So yeah, have a little bit of a hard time believing that the PA's stance on the current offer isn't more about the elite players getting max pay as opposed to really helping the little guy (as they claimed).  The little guy got a ton of help in the proposed deal they snap-rejected. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The deal offered yesterday by the MLB/owners was a significant step in the right direction for a player like this.  SO yes, he would have gotten the raise if the PA agreed to it and he actually played in the bigs.  Now he gets paid nothing, can't work and is driving uber while the uber-wealthy Max Scherezer's of the league are arguing for higher CBT thresholds so his $43.3M AAV contact can become more commonplace.  

So yeah, have a little bit of a hard time believing that the PA's stance on the current offer isn't more about the elite players getting max pay as opposed to really helping the little guy (as they claimed).  The little guy got a ton of help in the proposed deal they snap-rejected. 

He didn't, so unless there is something else in the deal that wasn't talked about, this did nothing for him.

I saw someone saying Scherzer should have to pay the stadium workers for lost time with his 40 million dollar contract. And my only thought was "How are you so close to getting it, and still this far off"

Would be a cool move though I guess. 

Edited by mqr

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He didn't, so unless there is something else in the deal that wasn't talked about, this did nothing for him.

There's also no guarantee that guy makes it (as most minor leaguers don't and would not even benefit from the current league minimum). It's too bad the MLBPA can't negotiate for a better salary for minor leaguers though.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There's also no guarantee that guy makes it (as most minor leaguers don't and would not even benefit from the current league minimum). It's too bad the MLBPA can't negotiate for a better salary for minor leaguers though.

This is where the fight should be, if players truly "cared" about the game. 

The minor league players keep getting fucked.  

• Like 3

I think it would have been probably better for the minor leaguer if branch rickey's system didn't take off.

Maybe college baseball was even more prominent as a feeder and high school less. 

OR you end up with a system more like soccer, Formula 1, etc, where you still draft guys and have their rights, and these differnet leagues (Premier Baseball League, National Baseball League), purchase loan contracts on these players. The expectation is the clubs will purchase them back.

But for those teams, they will have payroll themselves and need to pay player salary. The best next league would likely be in places like Louisville, Charlotte, Nashville, etc.

Because these teams are putting together the best talent they can and trying to win, interest is decent. They can afford a salary of a late career player. The level of baseball is pretty strong. They get some decent TV money and followings. They need to recruit the talent and teams to give them players there. Players build a decent following and carry it into the MLB. Pay if you get on these teams, and facilities, are probably much improved. OTOH, there is likely less of them.

Players who don't get picked up by this are in the team complexes playing backyard games. 

Alternate universe.

• Like 1

The Saudi golf league is crashing, they need to start a baseball league. Maybe eight to 12 teams. Rent some college stadiums. Hell I bet some of them MLB stadiums may have deals where they would be available.

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Businesses around the stadiums, spring training and regular season, will be feeling this. There are so many people impacted by this.

The states where taxpayers own the stadium should be filing suit honestly

• Like 1

Did everyone see the post on MLBTR that Ross Stripling said the owners changed the small print on their offer in the wee hours Monday night trying to sneak stuff through? F ‘em at this point.
Based on latest quotes from guys like Scherzer, Miller, Rizzo, and Giolito, it sounds like the players have been expecting this battle and are pretty unified on fighting for the future.

Edited by RTC

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The owners will still often have to make rent payments and loan payments, and those will add up with no revenue.

I meant more the on behalf of the people losing wages. 

Speaking of, what does like Delaware North think of all this.

21 minutes ago, RTC said:

Did everyone see the post on MLBTR that Ross Stripling said the owners changed the small print on their offer in the wee hours Monday night trying to sneak stuff through? F ‘em at this point.
Based on latest quotes from guys like Scherzer, Miller, Rizzo, and Giolito, it sounds like the players have been expecting this battle and are pretty unified on fighting for the future.

It's just really sad because I feel like this was inevitable. Shit, years ago, my buddy and I talked about how it was going to suck when the lockout happened right when the Sox were probably going to be done with their rebuild. This was like 2016/2017. Little did we know, that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen during the contention window.

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Three words I never thought I would say.  Go Bernie Go!

Now look at all of the most profitable businesses in America and increase those salaries. Go Bernie Go

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Now look at all of the most profitable businesses in America and increase those salaries. Go Bernie Go

Oh man.  With all of the time and effort Bernie put into that tweet, he probably doesn't have the time or bandwidth to worry about anything else.

• Haha 2