Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather trade Vaughn than Sheets because they both block each other and Vaughn has more value. 

Vaughn can play a passable LF and is at least decent at 1B.  Sheets can do neither.  I'm selling high on Sheets before any value evaporates.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Vaughn gets a better player in return and I believe in Sheets. 

I might be the only one on this board but I don't give a shit of Sheets stays or goes. Vaughn IMO is going to be a top tier hitter for a long long time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I might be the only one on this board but I don't give a shit of Sheets stays or goes. Vaughn IMO is going to be a top tier hitter for a long long time. 

Idk. He's not ready to face MLB RHP yet. Vaughn is a weak side platoon bat for a team trying to win the WS. They can't afford to wait for him to develop vs RHP. 

Sheets is fine at 1B/DH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's like $33 million-ish right now give or take whether there were any formula tweaks (counting meals or something like that). 

The meal money is pretty inconsequential. Its around 200,000.

I think the max they go is around 240. They will leave a little room for trade deadline acquisitions.

1 minute ago, Baron said:

He had a few nice moments last season but I don't know that he's anything special.  A LH RF gives you what Sheets does w/o clogging DH or putting a bad 1B in RF.

• Like 2

Just now, ptatc said:

The meal money is pretty inconsequential. Its around 200,000.

I think the max they go is around 240. They will leave a little room for trade deadline acquisitions.

$240 puts them massively into the tax ($230 including benefits and such). I will offer a strong bet that the White Sox will stay under the tax. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

He had a few nice moments last season but I don't know that he's anything special.  A LH RF gives you what Sheets does w/o clogging DH or putting a bad 1B in RF.

You could say the exact same thing about Andrew Vaughn. The main differences between Vaughn and Sheets are age and draft position. 

If Vaughn was the 2nd rounder instead of the 3rd overall pick, how would your opinion change? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You and I have a different definition of a passable LF. 

He's better than Eloy in LF and has a much higher ceiling that Sheets IMO.  Keeping Sheets over Vaughn is just dumb IMO.  But I'll leave you to your myopic views.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You're in luck! There will still be no one who wants him.

I can't believe any team would take Kimbrel. Nor can I see the White Sox getting anything  decent for him. I hope I'm wrong. We shall see.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

He's better than Eloy in LF and has a much higher ceiling that Sheets IMO.  Keeping Sheets over Vaughn is just dumb IMO.  But I'll leave you to your myopic views.

I will actually disagree with you about him being better than Eloy in LF. Eloy has much more range, he's just a goofball out there. 

You could say the exact same thing about Andrew Vaughn. The main differences between Vaughn and Sheets are age and draft position. 

If Vaughn was the 2nd rounder instead of the 3rd overall pick, how would your opinion change? 

Andrew Vaughn would have gone 1-1 if he could play anywhere else but 1st base because of his bat.  Sheets was based on needing a fair amount of work to hit his power ceiling.

• Thanks 1

He was the 3rd overall pick because he was as good of a college bat as there was that year and spent more than one season demolishing college pitching. How exactly you fit that into a 2nd round pick I'm not sure. 

• Thanks 1

Changes my opinion all of zero.  Vaughn when healthy last summer showed a ton of potential at the plate.  Sheets was given favorable matchups and had a few nice dingers.  They are not on the same level.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Andrew Vaughn would have gone 1-1 if he could play anywhere else but 1st base because of his bat.  Sheets was based on needing a fair amount of work to hit his power ceiling.

In their ability to help the White Sox in 2022, Sheets offers more, IMO. 

I see the window as 2022-2024 so I couldn't really care less about what Vaughn might do in 2026. 

The Sox can't afford to wait on Vaughn to develop. They're better off using him as a chip for someone like Ketel Marte. 

Don't give him away, by all means, and I do realize his potential is greater than Sheets. 

But I think his value to the Sox competitive window is as a trade piece. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

And now the Bears just traded Mack. This is going to be a crazy/fun weekend of sports. 

That made me incredibly depressed. One of my favorite players in the league. Freakin shame.