Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Would be really strange for the Sox to exercise Kimbrel's option, but then salary dump trading him. 

Agreed. Either we get something interesting back OR we keep him (Which I am not opposed to) and hope he regains form to create a dominant bullpen/trade deadline piece to improve elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Agreed. Either we get something interesting back OR we keep him (Which I am not opposed to) and hope he regains form to create a dominant bullpen/trade deadline piece to improve elsewhere.

Unless they bring in a catcher who is better at blocking the plate, and consistently switch to that catcher when he comes in, he is a really bad matchup for the White Sox. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Conforto was a long COVID guy?

Are we sure that’s something he’s fully recovered from? There are plenty of people with lingering symptoms almost 2 years later.

Randazzo was on the Whitesox Talk Podcast this off-season talking about this back in January and said it was never brought up during this last season as an issue that impacted his play but that he did have Covid.

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Randazzo was on the Whitesox Talk Podcast this off-season talking about this back in January and said it was never brought up during this last season as an issue that impacted his play but that he did have Covid.

That could easily be one of those “don’t talk about this as it will hurt your next contract” issues since he has the best agent money can buy. 

If he’s having issues with that, mental or fatigue or cardiovascular, I’m not sure they’d show up in a standard physical unless he complained. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What kind of deal is Cueto expected to get? Something like 2/$25M? He’s a guy I’d be happy to add to the mix instead of trading assets. 

Mlbtr had a really nice summary article of him, they guessed slightly lower than what you just quoted.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/johnny-cueto-free-agent-market.html 

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know, I know, Two Gun Pete will call me a “slicer & dicer” for daring to use any sort of critical thinking when assessing Kimbrel’s stats over the past two years.  And he definitely won’t like me using context and pointing out that changing roles, experiencing a 44 inning YoY inning increase, and/or dealing with a sick daughter may have had something to do with his sudden falloff after joining the Sox.

Firstly, I'm flattered that you're thinking of me, even as you're about to embark on a cruise!

Thank you, you really know how to make a guy feel good on a cold day in Chicago. Drive safe, and enjoy your cruise.

And yes, you can't convince me, or really, anyone that what RH/KW did was smarter than what Atlanta did. Both teams needed OFers, but only one actually got what they needed. RH trading for Kimbrel was like sending your kid to the corner store for a gallon of milk, but that kid stupidly gets Milkduds instead.

6 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

I can't imagine being even 50% as miserable about anything as you are about the Sox. Impressive work itt

And thank you for thinking of me as well. We should all be as pollyanna-ish about everything.

You're right, BTW: Everything RH and KW have done has been letter-perfect.

In RH we trust, amirite?

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What kind of deal is Cueto expected to get? Something like 2/$25M? He’s a guy I’d be happy to add to the mix instead of trading assets. 

wow. I don't think I'd give him 5 million.  He's been pretty bad for 5 years now.  I'd much rather have had Martin Perez who just signed for 4 million.