Kris Bryant to the Rockies - 7/$182

Balta1701

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

Of course he wasn't but if the next owners plan on keeping this team intact they are going to be looking at 200 million payrolls easy.

There are only 30 ownership groups on the planet. 

Someone out there can deal with that monetary reality plus the fact the Sox need to relocate to the South Loop and get a piece of that tourism dollar plus the Tri State crowd coming into Union Station. 

Harold Washington had it all set up for Reinsdorf. He wanted his beloved White Sox to anchor the South Loop.

Oh the money that ownership would be raking in now.

Harold was a visionary.

Reinsdorf,  not so much.

Thanks for the historical perspective. Seems weird to me that anyone would say its holding a grudge. If it happened in your lifetime we all rehash what could have been regarding our beloved team. To me its the same as talking about guys we didn't sign or mistakes and bad signings. What would have happens if we didn't make certain trades? If talking about them and wishing for better makes you a bad person then I guess we are all bad people for wanting different outcomes. You weren't the 1st person to suggest Reinsdorf isn't the ideal owner and you won't be the last. If anyone here complains about Reinsdorf I guess we should all be condemned as holding grudges and try harder to live up to SS2K5's moral superiority.

4 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Well, this contract is a classic example of a player going where the money is instead of where he will win a championship. Maybe he just likes mountains.

Or he is a genius. He got paid massively - and in 1-2 years he knows Rockies will move him and he will leverage that no trade to get him somewhere he can win/wants to be and spend most of his career on a winning team having gotten a massive contract too…win win! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Well, this contract is a classic example of a player going where the money is instead of where he will win a championship. Maybe he just likes mountains.

He's from Las Vegas...if he wasn't going to be reunited with Harper in Philly, and AZ clearly isn't going to be spending that money, it sorta makes sense.

Denver Post fan poll

Lots of question marks about the decision by the Rockies, but I think Bryant's decision is more puzzling.  Maybe no other team came close to that offer, but he didn't choose a team that is poised to be a perennial playoff threat.  He'd have been better off going back to the Cubs.  They'll have success quicker than the Rockies.

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Lots of question marks about the decision by the Rockies, but I think Bryant's decision is more puzzling.  Maybe no other team came close to that offer, but he didn't choose a team that is poised to be a perennial playoff threat.  He'd have been better off going back to the Cubs.  They'll have success quicker than the Rockies.

Kris Bryant is also the poster child for a guy who lost money due to service time manipulation. He already won a ring and the Cubs left him dangling in the minors when he was the best player I ever saw down there, solely to save money. He didn’t even get a choice in doing so. I won’t begrudge him taking the biggest offer he could, he already gave up money to win a title. 

I will say the Rockies owner is clearly an arse, for crying poor two months ago.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Kris Bryant is also the poster child for a guy who lost money due to service time manipulation. He already won a ring and the Cubs left him dangling in the minors when he was the best player I ever saw down there, solely to save money. He didn’t even get a choice in doing so. I won’t begrudge him taking the biggest offer he could, he already gave up money to win a title. 

I will say the Rockies owner is clearly an arse, for crying poor two months ago.

Good points.  And good for him in getting the money.  It just seems a bit odd.  My guess is that the Rockies' offer was by far the biggest.

13 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Good points.  And good for him in getting the money.  It just seems a bit odd.  My guess is that the Rockies' offer was by far the biggest.

When you’re not a winning team, you are going to have to pay a premium to get a guy like Bryant. The Orioles might have the best offer for Correa right now, but they haven’t paid the premium required for a rebuilding team. Clearly the Rockies did.

The odd part is how Colorado is handling their business. It is definitely odd.

16 hours ago, EvilJester99 said:

No way JR was paying that.. and shouldn’t 

Who cares about his profits? He should spend it. This is why players get screwed and wind up with such a small percentage of the revenue. Fans don't want teams to "over spend". Not overspending leads to those astronomical profits. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He's from Las Vegas...if he wasn't going to be reunited with Harper in Philly, and AZ clearly isn't going to be spending that money, it sorta makes sense.

Denver Post fan poll

I was thinking about the proximity to LV as well, but it's not really that close to Denver.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Denver Post fan poll

From Vegas? Glad we didnt touch this guy, too much of a gamble. Oh that was bad......

20 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Isn't that what we want? Competitiveness. We don't want players just going to contenders.  Plus we don't want teams making huge profits. So big time contracts to go to losing teams instead of chasing championships. 

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Isn't that what we want? Competitiveness. We don't want players just going to contenders.  Plus we don't want teams making huge profits. So big time contracts to go to losing teams instead of chasing championships. 

I wasn't disagreeing with it. I was just stating a fact.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I don't mind seeing huge profits. It's what makes the world go round. 

39 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

And promptly traded with cash after the 2023 season.  

I fully expect it. He will play 2 years max with Colorado - than end up at a trade destination of his choice for the remainder of his contract.  He gets maximum value and eventually spends bulk of his career in a place he wants to be.